WD Green drive dying?

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,
2 hours ago, PcH said:

~snip~

Hey there PcH, :)

The drive does appear to have a significant amount of reallocated sector events which indicates a serious potential problem. I would suggest that you back everything important up immediately before proceeding with any further actions as your data  may be at high risk. What you should be looking at are the Raw Values and 424 in decimal numbers means you have had 1060 sectors that have been reallocated for one reason or another. 

My recommendation would be to replace that drive with a new one (or a replacement if the drive is still under warranty) right after you back your data up. 

Just to be on the safe side, I'd run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool just to see if it confirms these results.

Captain_WD.

I have a Western Digital Green (WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0) drive with a current Reallocated Sector Count higher (144) than the threshold (140). It remains at 144 after several reboots. Screenshot from CrystalDiskInfo: how0l5C.png?1

Is the drive on the verge of failure? I have a clone backup. I'm trying to figure out when to replace this drive. Thanks.

2 hours ago, PcH said:

~snip~

The drive does appear to have a significant amount of reallocated sector events which indicates a serious potential problem. I would suggest that you back everything important up immediately before proceeding with any further actions as your data  may be at high risk. What you should be looking at are the Raw Values and 424 in decimal numbers means you have had 1060 sectors that have been reallocated for one reason or another. 

My recommendation would be to replace that drive with a new one (or a replacement if the drive is still under warranty) right after you back your data up. 

Just to be on the safe side, I'd run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool just to see if it confirms these results.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

1 hour ago, Captain_WD said:

Captain_WD.

Hi Captain_WD. Thanks for the explanation. After running the serial number, the drive is unfortunately out of warranty. I ran WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic quick test and it passed. I ran the extended test and it immediately failed reporting Too many bad sectors. Looks like it's time to replace the drive. Thanks again for your help!

19 hours ago, PcH said:

~snip~

My pleasure :) Do you have your drive connected as internal or as external drive? The tool sometimes reports this error when you have an internal drive connected externally through a slower USB port. If the drive is connected internally I would say replacing it would be the best idea. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

14 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

My pleasure :) Do you have your drive connected as internal or as external drive? The tool sometimes reports this error when you have an internal drive connected externally through a slower USB port. If the drive is connected internally I would say replacing it would be the best idea. 

Captain_WD.

It was initially connected externally from a 4 bay enclosure via eSATA. I moved it inside my case and the readings were from inside the case.

7 hours ago, PcH said:

~snip~

WD Green drives are not a good choice for using them in RAID arrays or bulky storage cases with other drives inside as they don't really have the safety features that other drives designed for such usage do (additional vibration sensors, etc.). Such usages can cause these problems from excessive vibrations or heat. 

Since the readings are from an internally connected drive I would consider replacing it and won't trust it with important data. 

Captain_WD.

8 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

WD Green drives are not a good choice for using them in RAID arrays or bulky storage cases with other drives inside as they don't really have the safety features that other drives designed for such usage do (additional vibration sensors, etc.). Such usages can cause these problems from excessive vibrations or heat. 

Since the readings are from an internally connected drive I would consider replacing it and won't trust it with important data. 

Captain_WD.

I understand. I'm in the process of replacing all drives with NAS drives, particularly WD Reds ;)

On 15.04.2016 г. at 6:58 PM, PcH said:

~snip~

That should be a good and a reliable choice :) Do post back when you get them if you have questions. It is also a very good idea to run extended tests on all new drives that you are getting so you are sure they were not damaged during transportation. This is always a good thing to do before trusting your data to a drive.

Captain_WD.