Does USB 3.0 hub slow down data transfer?

Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,
2 minutes ago, dachanmin said:

Not sure what you mean... sorry I'm a tech noob lol

So if I have a 4 port USB hub, 

if I just plug in the SD card reader without anything else, I'll have the full speed 

But if I have 3 other things plugged into the hub, it'll spread the power and thus decreasing speed of my SD card reader??

the theoretical speed of USB 3.0 is 480Mbps

you connect an SD card, which typically uses about 40Mbps,

so you have 440Mbps left for those 3 ports to share

in another situation,

lets say you connect 4 external storage, one is an SSD with 300Mbps, hard disk have 100Mbps

means the speed your things need is 600Mbps, but USB 3.0 can only handle 480Mbps, so some of the things will run slower, if not all together run slower

Hello. I was wondering if a 4-port USB 3.0 hub will make data transfer from my SD card reader slower than when it's directly plugged in to the PC.

The hub is a powered hub.

Please answer!

im pretty sure the devices connected to it will just split the bandwidth. i have a usb 3.0 usb with ethernet and i only have power issues if im using wireless peripherals.you should be fine. 

it wont affect the speed unless you're near saturating the USB 3.0 connection speed

it just splits the connection speed among the connected devices

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

it wont affect the speed unless you're near saturating the USB 3.0 connection speed

it just splits the connection speed among the connected devices

if I just plug in the SD card reader without anything else, I'll have the full speed 

But if I have 3 other things plugged into the hub, it'll spread the power and thus decreasing speed of my SD card reader??

24 minutes ago, asiancorruption said:

im pretty sure the devices connected to it will just split the bandwidth. i have a usb 3.0 usb with ethernet and i only have power issues if im using wireless peripherals.you should be fine. 

Asking the same question as above:

2 minutes ago, dachanmin said:

in another situation,

lets say you connect 4 external storage, one is an SSD with 300Mbps, hard disk have 100Mbps

means the speed your things need is 600Mbps, but USB 3.0 can only handle 480Mbps, so some of the things will run slower, if not all together run slower

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

in another situation,

OHH Ok perfectly understood. So the hub just splits that power to wherever it needs. THANKS!

5 minutes ago, dachanmin said:

So the hub just splits that power to wherever it needs

it splits the bandwidth, not the power

power means wattage, a USB 3.0 port alone cant handle 4 external storage, it needs external power lol

Power is rated in Watts

Bandwidth is rated in bps (bits(b) (or bytes(B), depending on what transfer speed you're talking about) per second)

edit: technically it splits the power also, but i think u mixed up bandwidth and power lol

• 2 years later...
On 4/11/2016 at 10:18 PM, Moonzy said:

in another situation,

I know this is an old post, but it bugged me so much that I had to comment. I think you are confusing USB 2.0 with 3.0. USB 2.0 has a theoretical speed of 480 mbps, USB 3.0 has a theoretical speed of 640MBps or 5120mbps. This is much faster and even with a large hub that has many devices connected you likely won't saturate the bandwidth.