Converting USB 5V to 12V for external hard drive

I bought a couple of cheap 2TB Seagate drives which I am planning to mirror data between. These drives use a UK 230V transformer to produce a 12V DC feed for the hard drive (Presumably the motor) but I was wondering if anyone knew where to pickup some good USB  5V to 12V adapters.

I have seen some generic ones which simply have a 12V cable sticking out ready for any connection you want but I would rather find one with one of those low voltage round pin cables already attached. I've seen one like this from China but they don't ship to the UK and I would rather avoid China if possible.

i dont think such plug exist because the wattage that can be supplied from a usb port isnt high enough to do anything productive on higher voltages

just buy a 12v wall adapter that comes out to the connection your need?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Not sure without checking the wattage of the HDD/power supply.  I have the mains transformers for them but they take up a lot of space and the hard drives sit in a small area on top of my server and I don't really have any more room for large 230V transformers.

I'm going to check what the drives pull tonight and if its more than the 900mA power USB can supply then I will probably use a spare Molex 12V line in my server to power the drives and make some sort of custom adapter.

3 hours ago, ForsakenLive said:

Get a Sata+power to USB adapter. they are like $5-20 depending on which you choose.

http://www.amazon.com/ezDISK-EZ123-converter-adapter-2-5inch/dp/B014M1EVUM/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460384911&sr=1-7&keywords=sata+to+USB

They usually have 2x USB connectors so power is enough even for a bigger faster hard drive.

Even with this, they make usb+power docks for drives

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

I did take a look at the power supply and it's capable of producing about 18W so chances are powering it directly from USB isn't an option. Two USB ports might be enough but would probably be pushing it.

9 hours ago, ForsakenLive said:

Get a Sata+power to USB adapter. they are like $5-20 depending on which you choose.

http://www.amazon.com/ezDISK-EZ123-converter-adapter-2-5inch/dp/B014M1EVUM/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1460384911&sr=1-7&keywords=sata+to+USB

They usually have 2x USB connectors so power is enough even for a bigger faster hard drive.

I can't use a USB to sata adapter since the hard drive is in caddy and I don't want to dissemble it until the warranty is over.

Since I can't seem to get a reliable adapter, I think I will just pop into Maplins (a UK electronics store) and just pick up a connector and make my own custom cable that will feed the drive off my power supply

I am going to include a picture from Google images to give you lot an  idea of what I have to work with.

seagate-expansion-2tb-power-socket.gif