General use headphones

Oldaccount1234123

Hello all!

I'm looking for some new headphones. The main reason is because my current pair (Parrot Ziks) hurt to wear. The headband pushes down on my head and after about 30 mins of use becomes very uncomfortable. 

In terms of a new pair, I don't know much about headphones so I'm coming for help! My budget is £100 or under (about $150) but can go up to £200 if it is worth it.

The way it will be setup is as follows:

I'll run them through my Behringer UMC202HD, but instead of going through the headphone jack, I'll put it through the main ouput as the headphones socket doesn't differentiate between left and right sound, it just plays it through both ears which is no good for gaming. (it played through both initially, but then suddenly stopped doing that, which is weird). So, in order to do this I'll need headphones with a detachable jack. Alternatively, I can just run them through the computer. 

In the past I've always used closed headphones, but I wouldn't be averse to trying open headphones. I will mainly use them for gaming, watching videos and listening to music. Initially, I looked at the ATH m40x or m50x for closed, and then at some Senheiser ones for open. The HD 558s and 598s looked really nice. 

So, what should I get?

Thanks!

Don't get the M50x, it's going to be the best decision of your life.

Peruse the Audio Recommendations Thread.  Go open if you plan to use these at home and don't have people next to you all the time, go closed if the environment you're using it in is noisy.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

1 minute ago, Pomfinator said:

Don't get the M50x, it's going to be the best decision of your life.

Peruse the Audio Recommendations Thread.  Go open if you plan to use these at home and don't have people next to you all the time, go closed if the environment you're using it in is noisy.

haha, bit confused since others in this thread have said they love the m50x - how come you say it's not worth it?

I had a quick browse at the thread you mentioned. The only closed ones that sparked my interest was the m40 / m50 and in terms of open it was the Sennheisers which looked best. I'd like to try open as I will 90% of the time just be using them in my room. Sometimes people come into my room and I don't want them to hear my conversations, but that doesn't happen often and I can just mute the sound anyway.

4 minutes ago, Daanish said:

haha, bit confused since others in this thread have said they love the m50x - how come you say it's not worth it?

I had a quick browse at the thread you mentioned. The only closed ones that sparked my interest was the m40 / m50 and in terms of open it was the Sennheisers which looked best. I'd like to try open as I will 90% of the time just be using them in my room. Sometimes people come into my room and I don't want them to hear my conversations, but that doesn't happen often and I can just mute the sound anyway.

sound quality is not the best for the price and they have no soundstage at all. The comfort is not the best and yes I own a pair of m50 and if I could go back in time I would not buy them.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

sound quality is not the best for the price and they have no soundstage at all. The comfort is not the best and yes I own a pair of m50 and if I could go back in time I would not buy them.

Ok, I'll cross them off the list! What would you recommend for my needs?

Also, is there a way to make my interface send sound through both sides via the headphone jack? If not no worries as I've just plugged them into the main outputs

6 minutes ago, Daanish said:

Ok, I'll cross them off the list! What would you recommend for my needs?

Also, is there a way to make my interface send sound through both sides via the headphone jack? If not no worries as I've just plugged them into the main outputs

I don't really understand whats wrong with the headphone jack, is it ouputting mono?

Speakers - KEF LSX

2 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

I don't really understand whats wrong with the headphone jack, is it playing mono?

Yes. (That's the word I was looking for! It completely went out of my mind haha) It didn't used to, but then I pushed the jack all the way in and it does now. I can test it again and let you know what happens if you want?

Edit: Actually, no I'm wrong. It's not mono, its just playing sounds out of both ear cups irregardless of left or right

10 minutes ago, Daanish said:

Yes. (That's the word I was looking for! It completely went out of my mind haha) It didn't used to, but then I pushed the jack all the way in and it does now. I can test it again and let you know what happens if you want?

Edit: Actually, no I'm wrong. It's not mono, its just playing sounds out of both ear cups irregardless of left or right

I was about to say, headphone jacks usually don't output clean mono signal if you break them.  

Anyway if the HD558's caught your eye I suggest just go for them, great place to start in terms of budget headphones.

Speakers - KEF LSX

Just now, Pomfinator said:

I was about to say, headphone jacks usually don't output clean mono signal if you break them.  

Anyway if the HD558's caught your eye I suggest just go for them, great place to start in terms of budget headphones.

Sounds good. I'll do a bit more research into them before making the final decision though - thanks!

21 minutes ago, Daanish said:

DT 770/880/990 or HD 558

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.