Sort of new to PC gaming HELP PLEASE

Nickolas Acosta

Hi there everyone! So if anyone has the time to read this, I want to thank you in advance so THANK YOU haha anyways...so to give you an idea of how much I know about computers, I can tell you that I've put together my own PC gaming build with the help of the internet and some basic computer knowledge that I have such as "What is a cpu, gpu, case, RAM, power supply, operating system, and the motherboard?" But what I would love to know is what should I be learning about first when it comes to finding the right components for me? When I watch Linus' Tech videos, (which are awesome and helpful by the way) I always hear him talk about how much core power a certain gpu has or how much memory this certain cpu has etc. I want to be able to understand specs so that way I can confidently shop at sites like Newegg or whatever. I guess what I'm trying to ask for is, can anyone tell me where I can learn most of this stuff or maybe give me some helpful knowledge and advice? I would really appreciate it!

.So... what exactly are you planning to do with this? That usually helps in deciding parts.

In general, clock speed (the gigahertz number) tells how many times per second the cpu/gpu or other part will do a certain process or set of processes per second. RAM or VRAM is generally how much info can be stored temporarily. Cache size is generally how much info the CPU can store by itself and process. More is better in all of these, but have to be balanced against price. Some general things to know.

16 minutes ago, Nickolas Acosta said:

Hi there everyone! So if anyone has the time to read this, I want to thank you in advance so THANK YOU haha anyways...so to give you an idea of how much I know about computers, I can tell you that I've put together my own PC gaming build with the help of the internet and some basic computer knowledge that I have such as "What is a cpu, gpu, case, RAM, power supply, operating system, and the motherboard?" But what I would love to know is what should I be learning about first when it comes to finding the right components for me? When I watch Linus' Tech videos, (which are awesome and helpful by the way) I always hear him talk about how much core power a certain gpu has or how much memory this certain cpu has etc. I want to be able to understand specs so that way I can confidently shop at sites like Newegg or whatever. I guess what I'm trying to ask for is, can anyone tell me where I can learn most of this stuff or maybe give me some helpful knowledge and advice? I would really appreciate it!

For gaming 4 Cores still seems to be the sweet spot for CPU so any of the Intel i5 or i7's cpu's will be fine or the higher tier AMD CPU's such as the FX 8350 or 6300 will also be fine yes I know these AMD CPU's are 6 and 8 core but they are usually the best options from AMD for CPU's at the moment in time. Now for the Motherboard you need to decide which CPU you plan to get so you can get the correct socket motherboard if you want to overclock both the motherboard and cpu need to be capable of doing so but in general the motherboard won't effect performance greatly from the basic to the advanced ones it's mostly extra feature you get on the higher end boards. For GPU it depends on what resolution you want to game at and what games you will be playing I recommend not getting a GPU with less than 4gb's VRam as most games today will use more than 2gb even at 1080p as for power supply you need to decided on the rest of the parts first then find out what wattage you will need to run it as a rule though 600watts is generally enough for a single gpu gaming machine. I highly recommend getting an 80 Plus PSU as they are far more efficient and safer as a lot of the cheaper non 80 plus PSU's tend to lie about their specs.

Edited by PeggersXtreme
adding some additional info

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

4 minutes ago, PeggersXtreme said:

For gaming 4 Cores still seems to be the sweet spot for CPU so any of the Intel i5 or i7's cpu's will be fine or the higher tier AMD CPU's such as the FX 8350 or 6300 will also be fine. Now for the Motherboard you need to decide which CPU you plan to get so you can get the correct socket motherboard if you want to overclock both the motherboard and cpu need to be capable of doing so but in general the motherboard won't effect performance greatly from the basic to the advanced ones it's mostly extra feature you get on the higher end boards. For GPU it depends on what resolution you want to game at and what games you will be playing I recommend not getting a GPU with less than 4gb's VRam as most games today will use more than 2gb even at 1080p as for power supply you need to decided on the rest of the parts first then find out what wattage you will need to run it as a rule though 600watts is generally enough for a single gpu gaming machine. I highly recommend getting an 80 Plus PSU as they are far more efficient and safer as a lot of the cheaper non 80 plus PSU's tend to lie about their specs.

I have a i7 4770 intel processor at the moment, how do I know which motherboard to get? What do I look at?

12 minutes ago, qzgy said:

.So... what exactly are you planning to do with this? That usually helps in deciding parts.

In general, clock speed (the gigahertz number) tells how many times per second the cpu/gpu or other part will do a certain process or set of processes per second. RAM or VRAM is generally how much info can be stored temporarily. Cache size is generally how much info the CPU can store by itself and process. More is better in all of these, but have to be balanced against price. Some general things to know.

Haha the "more is better" part makes a lot of sense

3 minutes ago, Nickolas Acosta said:

I have a i7 4770 intel processor at the moment, how do I know which motherboard to get? What do I look at?

Is it the K variant or non K?

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Just ask us what you need to know or what's confusing you, and we'll reply accordingly! ^_^

Explaining you everything from the start will be a mammoth task for anyone, so get your job done first, then take your time and research/ask about how stuff works. :)

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, PeggersXtreme said:

Is the the K variant or non K?

oh my bad, yes its K

1 minute ago, Nickolas Acosta said:

oh my bad, yes its K

In that case you will be best of with any of the Z97 boards from ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI these are the most common brands I personally have alot of experience with MSI boards as I moved over to MSI 5 years ago from Asus and have been using them since a couple good Z97 board I know of are the MSI Z97 Gaming 3 and The MSI Z97 Gaming 5, Asus board are good quality and reliable as for Gigabyte I don't have any experience with their boards but I have heard they are good.

Custom PC:

2 minutes ago, PeggersXtreme said:

In that case you will be best of with any of the Z97 boards from ASUS, Gigabyte or MSI these are the most common brands I personally have alot of experience with MSI boards as I moved over to MSI 5 years ago from Asus and have been using them since a couple good Z97 board I know of are the MSI Z97 Gaming 3 and The MSI Z97 Gaming 5, Asus board are good quality and reliable as for Gigabyte I don't have any experience with their boards but I have heard they are good.

oh that's interesting, the MSI boards I've seen look very cool and I wouldn't mind switching to that either haha so how did you know that these Z97 boards are compatible with the i7 4770K? Is there a certain spec I need to look at or something simpler? I bought a GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 for my build, but only because that's what my friend told me to get

17 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Just ask us what you need to know or what's confusing you, and we'll reply accordingly! ^_^

Explaining you everything from the start will be a mammoth task for anyone, so get your job done first, then take your time and research/ask about how stuff works. :)

Thanks! :D by the way would you know if that GTX Titan card is worth getting? I can afford it, but I don't know if it makes sense to get it haha

Just now, Nickolas Acosta said:

Thanks! :D by the way would you know if that GTX Titan card is worth getting? I can afford it, but I don't know if it makes sense to get it haha

It's not. It's really a gigantic waste of money for any gaming needs.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

oh that's interesting, the MSI boards I've seen look very cool and I wouldn't mind switching to that either haha so how did you know that these Z97 boards are compatible with the i7 4770K? Is there a certain spec I need to look at or something simpler? I bought a GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 for my build, but only because that's what my friend told me to get

The key thing with it is the socket 1150 the z87 is basically the first version so you are fine with z87 the z97 is basically the updated chipset it basically has some extra features. Z is usually full chipset so it can overclock and has onboard video support whereas H boards can't overclock but do have the Onboard Video support.

Custom PC:

6 minutes ago, Nickolas Acosta said:

Thats depends on how much you can get it for compared to other cards.

Custom PC:

16 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

It's not. It's really a gigantic waste of money for any gaming needs.

aw that's a bummer haha well I'm glad I didn't buy it then, I had one more question if you don't mind? I have this build at the moment and my new card should be coming in soon and I was wondering if this build is causing any "Bottlenecking" ???

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel motherboard

Intel core i7 4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646174770K processor 

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G

Edited by Nickolas Acosta

aw that's a bummer haha well I'm glad I didn't buy it then, I had one more question if you don't mind? I have this build at the moment and my new card should be coming in soon and I was wondering if this build is causing any "Bottlenecking" ???

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel motherboard

Intel core i7 4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646174770K processor 

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

I know this reply wasn't aimed at me but your system is not a bottleneck the only thing that may need upgrading at some point is an extra 8gb of ram but at the moment your system is fine but games are starting to use 8gb+ ram

Custom PC:

Just now, PeggersXtreme said:

I know this reply wasn't aimed at me but your system is not a bottleneck the only thing that may need upgrading at some point is an extra 8gb of ram but at the moment your system is fine but games are starting to use 8gb+ ram

oh that's perfectly fine, I really do appreciate the help and I accidentally forgot to add the

MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6g to the build

4 minutes ago, Nickolas Acosta said:

I use two Titan X's on my 5960X and the single core performance on my 5960X is worse than the 4770k and I haven't found it to be a bottleneck I have now overclocked it to match the single core performance of the 4790k and I did gain about 20fps but if I push my CPU any further the frame rate doesn't change much at all maybe a couple FPS at most.

Custom PC:

Just now, PeggersXtreme said:

I use two Titan X's on my 5960X and the single core performance on my 5960X is worse than the 4770k and I haven't found it to be a bottleneck I have now overclocked it to match the single core performance of the 4790k and I did gain about 20fps but if I push my CPU any further the frame rate doesn't change much at all maybe a couple FPS at most.

wow that's insane! haha well that's good news for sure, well I guess the only thing left for me to do is grab another set of Ripjaws then :D thanks for all the awesome advice, this really did put my mind at ease and now I can't wait to install the new gpu!  

57 minutes ago, Nickolas Acosta said:

oh my bad, yes its K

If you dont want overclock the CPU you can ignore the "K" and just use a normal Mainboard for your CPU Socket. The Position of the PCIe Slots and the Number of Ports is more important. Many Features of the expensive highend Boards are not necessary for "normal" users.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

wow that's insane! haha well that's good news for sure, well I guess the only thing left for me to do is grab another set of Ripjaws then :D thanks for all the awesome advice, this really did put my mind at ease and now I can't wait to install the new gpu!  

Yeah until intel or AMD actually start releasing CPU's with performance gains worth it your system is fine :D If I was just gaming I wouldn't have got a 5960X as it's really not the best choice for gaming but I render aswell so it's worth it for my needs lol :D

Custom PC:

2 minutes ago, Praesi said:

If you dont want overclock the CPU you can ignore the "K" and just use a normal Mainboard for you CPU Socket. The Position of the PCIe Slots and the Number of Ports is more important. Many Features of the expensive highend Boards are not necessary for "normal" users.

Ah yeah I forgot that lol but yeah I agree the cheaper boards are going to be just as good performance as the more expensive ones :D

Custom PC:

this will get you threw any game might be a liltel much though 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zDjgYJ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zDjgYJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($359.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Noctua NT-H1 3.5g Thermal Paste  ($7.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.77 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  ($172.71 @ Mac Mall)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($86.49 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse  ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Logitech Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers  ($57.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1774.61

On 2016-04-11 at 9:12 PM, Nickolas Acosta said:

Nope. Looks alright. ^_^