SSD For 8 Year Old Laptop?

whatishacks

I have an 8 year laptop that is VERY Slow.  Like 2minute boot time and about 20-30seconds to start up the services and be usable. 

Basically I need an SSD for it.  All the laptop be used for is a 10gb game (old mmorpg) Windows 10, Microsoft Office, and Kodi.  So basically I don't want anything too big for storage, just enough to do those things.

My budget is $100 CAD, so please recommend me an SSD according to that (I would prefer something cheaper BUT still good performance)

Main PC: 4690k // Z97 // R9 280 3GB // 8gb Ram // CM Elite 430 Case // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Living Room "Console" PC: FX 8350 // 990a SLI Krait // R7 360 // 8gb Ram // HAF 912 // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Future Plans:

find a 2nd monitor at a pawn shop

Sell/giveaway R7 360, move r9 280 into console PC, buy a better GPU for main PC.

Anything modern that fits into your budget will be just fine.

The Crucial MX200 250gb is about $100 on Amazon.ca  .   Its a pretty reputable conservative design that should be retro-fittable into a newer laptop or PC. 

If it has SATA1 (like my old Tecra M5, except if it was still working it would be turning 10 in a few months), just get whichever SSD has the highest capacity within your budget. No matter what people say it will give a big boost, as I had XP loading within a few seconds of the power button being pressed (Toshiba's in-house bios was really fast), Windows 7 however was limited more by the CPU+RAM than the SATA1.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

If it has SATA1

if it has sata1, a normal HDD nowadays can already saturate that speed lol

but ssd are still faster in terms of response

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

If it has SATA1 (like my old Tecra M5, except if it was still working it would be turning 10 in a few months), just get whichever SSD has the highest capacity within your budget. No matter what people say it will give a big boost, as I had XP loading within a few seconds of the power button being pressed (Toshiba's in-house bios was really fast), Windows 7 however was limited more by the CPU+RAM than the SATA1.

Tell me about it.

The laptop I'm currently using (it's some shit Toshiba with a Phenom II X2) is easily usable and cold boots in like 20 seconds. It's usable in 45. That's with Skype, Discord, Steam, and Spotify opening at boot.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

10 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Tell me about it.

The laptop I'm currently using (it's some shit Toshiba with a Phenom II X2) is easily usable and cold boots in like 20 seconds. It's usable in 45. That's with Skype, Discord, Steam, and Spotify opening at boot.

For me, it was literally a few seconds, the bios didn't show anything on the screen during post, and only took less than a second to run through its checks (as said, it used Toshiba's in house bios, which is the only explanation for the time it took to post).

PMSL

13 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if it has sata1, a normal HDD nowadays can already saturate that speed lol

but ssd are still faster in terms of response

3.5" HDD yes, 2.5" HDD no. You'd have to get at least a WD Black to saturate it, and anyway, Windows relies on small file performance, something that HDD blow at.

PMSL

well i think any ssd you get will be faster than your harddrive with 2 min boot time:) that being said i i were you i will be trying to find a used ssd that has good read and write speeds:-)