MSI GTX 960 2GB

Chris_Blake

Hey guys! I am super new to computer hardware and was wondering if I could get some help.

I recently just bought a Lenovo H50

Specs:

AMD A8-7600 R7 3.10GHz

8GB DDR3

64-bit

1TB Hard Drive

I also bought an MSI GTX 960 2GB 100 Million Edition and Corsair CX500 PSU to add on.

I have came across an issue where the H50 storage bays are in the way of me putting the graphics card in.

I was wondering if there was a way to get around this and make the GPU fit.

Please let me know! 

Thank you for any help regarding my issue!

2 minutes ago, Chris_Blake said:

I have came across an issue where the H50 storage bays are in the way of me putting the graphics card in.

You'll have to remove the drive bays. Look for screws.

If you can't remove them... well, that's an issue. You'd have to get a riser card or a new case.

3 minutes ago, Chris_Blake said:

I also bought an MSI GTX 960 2GB 100 Million Edition and Corsair CX500 PSU to add on.

The CX series unfortunately has issues with temperatures. Not a good choice for a gaming computer (that is, one with a discrete graphics card)

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

You'll have to remove the drive bays. Look for screws.

If you can't remove them... well, that's an issue. You'd have to get a riser card or a new case.

The CX series unfortunately has issues with temperatures. Not a good choice for a gaming computer (that is, one with a discrete graphics card)

Since I am new I don't know what everything means so the guy at MicroCenter suggested the CX500 :o 

When it comes to the drive bays it seems as if there are two screws at the top and may be welded or something at the bottom :( 

They are probably riveted.  If you don't need them, you can cut them out.  If they are thin enough a pair of snips work if you don't feel like removing everything and using a grinder/rotary tool

You could also return the gtx960 and buy a smaller model.  I do believe there are some that come in a more compact design.  If you go that route I would return the psu as well and grab something better.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

5 minutes ago, Chris_Blake said:

When it comes to the drive bays it seems as if there are two screws at the top and may be welded or something at the bottom :( 

You could mod the case if you have the tools.

If not, you'll have to return the 960 and get a smaller card, like this 750 ti ( http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn75twf2oc4gi )

(Which I'd recommend for its 4 GB of vram instead of 2 GB)

If you do get another card MEASURE THE SPACE YOU'VE GOT first!

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

I have my buddy coming over at the moment to take a look and see that way I can let you guys know all of the details. 

if you decide to get a smaller card and not modify your case, you can check this site on specs, length etc after measuring the space in your case

http://graphics-cards.specout.com/

i have this card, i think its $189 after you add to the cart, but if you want to buy in the store you are going to, use the site above to see if it fits in your case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125802

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

Now my issue has gone from bad to worse... 

I went back to Micro Center and exchanged the 960 for a EVGA GTX 950 short board.

Tried it out to see if it fit when I got home and it seemed to fit.

I pulled it back out then put everything back together to plug the PC back in.

When the computer finally booted it brought me to a screen with "preparing repair"

Then I chose to refresh to not lose my files then the computer booted as an Asus and most of my drivers 

including the network driver are gone.

What in the name of spider pig do I do?!? :( 

19 minutes ago, Chris_Blake said:

Now my issue has gone from bad to worse... 

I went back to Micro Center and exchanged the 960 for a EVGA GTX 950 short board.

Tried it out to see if it fit when I got home and it seemed to fit.

I pulled it back out then put everything back together to plug the PC back in.

When the computer finally booted it brought me to a screen with "preparing repair"

Then I chose to refresh to not lose my files then the computer booted as an Asus and most of my drivers 

including the network driver are gone.

What in the name of spider pig do I do?!? :( 

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Desktops-and-all-in-ones/Lenovo-H-Series-desktops/Lenovo-H50-00-Desktop?linkTrack=GPS:Body_Browse%20Products|Sub-Series%20Selected&tabName=downloads&beta=false

pending on the model you have, you can start here or navigate from this site to your specific model

most likely the board is an asus and you went to a vanilla version of the os you were running, if you have another pc download the correct network driver for your model, install it, then once you are connected to the net, download all the drivers for your system that you need and the gpu driver from the nvidia website. 

in case you dont have an available pc to download try and download it to your phone and connect it to your pc and transfer it over. hopefully that will help

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

1 minute ago, papapoi said:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Desktops-and-all-in-ones/Lenovo-H-Series-desktops/Lenovo-H50-00-Desktop?linkTrack=GPS:Body_Browse%20Products|Sub-Series%20Selected&tabName=downloads&beta=false

pending on the model you have, you can start here or navigate from this site to your specific model

most likely the board is an asus and you went to a vanilla version of the os you were running, if you have another pc download the correct network driver for your model, install it, then once you are connected to the net, download all the drivers for your system that you need and the gpu driver from the nvidia website. 

in case you dont have an available pc to download try and download it to your phone and connect it to your pc and transfer it over. hopefully that will help

Dude if this works... Your the shit!! <3 

Just now, papapoi said:

hope it does, any other questions i'll try my best to help

Just messaged you my dude :)