System and compressed memory

Hey guys!

I have been experiencing the whole windows 10 system and compressed memory thing, completely making my system grind to a halt all the time..

This has gotten worse over time after my windows 10 upgrade. And lately really bad. At the time of making this post I restarted my pc 3-4 hours ago, and I done nothing but play some Prison Architect while watching videos on YouTube.

NrIiLDM.png

This is what my task manager looks like right now.

My system specs are as follows:

CPU: i7-4770k

RAM 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum

GPU: GTX 980

Anyone found a fix? The main "fix" people say on the internet is "just get more RAM?!" I shouldn't have to have more than 16GB for what I am doing on my PC, and just hardware and money at a software problem doesn't make sense to me...

Thanks!

3 hours ago, SneakySquid said:

Hey guys!

I have been experiencing the whole windows 10 system and compressed memory thing, completely making my system grind to a halt all the time..

This has gotten worse over time after my windows 10 upgrade. And lately really bad. At the time of making this post I restarted my pc 3-4 hours ago, and I done nothing but play some Prison Architect while watching videos on YouTube.

This is what my task manager looks like right now.

My system specs are as follows:

CPU: i7-4770k

RAM 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum

GPU: GTX 980

Anyone found a fix? The main "fix" people say on the internet is "just get more RAM?!" I shouldn't have to have more than 16GB for what I am doing on my PC, and just hardware and money at a software problem doesn't make sense to me...

Thanks!

They are several reason why your system consume a lot of RAM unexpectedly.

One of it, is that one of your drivers in your system has a memory leak, so it looks like that Windows has a memory leak. The problem is finding that driver, and update it to the latest version. A possible trick is to open Device Manager, and start disabling stuff until the RAM usage comes down. Just be careful to not disable your USB controller that has your mouse and keyboard, else you'll need to use the power button / reset button to restart the system to have them back. ;)

But usually it is one of the following:

-> Graphics card drivers

-> Ethernet controller drivers

-> Sound card/chip drivers

I recommend to uninstall them, restart, and install the latest version. Of course, download them before hand, and be sure they are the correct ones, as it would suck to not have Ethernet controller working, because you uninstalled the drivers (Windows should use its built-in ones, but just in case).

Killer Ethernet is known to cause big issues with any OS (poor drivers).

If nothing helps, in the Task Manager, go under detail tab, and see what actually consumes the most memory.

It is normal that "Memory Compression" consumes ~200MB

13 hours ago, lukerox2002 said:

Yeeeaaa, no.

13 hours ago, rand0mpcshizzle said:

If you do want to keep shilling though a reg edit ought to fix it

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/ridiculous-system-ram-usage-and-i-dont-know-why-it-came-back/98821

This fixed it for me.

Thanks a lot everyone!

12 hours ago, Boobies Sprinkle said:

Download Malwarebytes Anti Malware

Download HitmanPro

Download Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Run these tools to see if you have any malware or viruses on your PC. 

Thanks for the suggestion, but I always make sure to check my system for stuff like that.

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

They are several reason why your system consume a lot of RAM unexpectedly.

One of it, is that one of your drivers in your system has a memory leak, so it looks like that Windows has a memory leak. The problem is finding that driver, and update it to the latest version. A possible trick is to open Device Manager, and start disabling stuff until the RAM usage comes down. Just be careful to not disable your USB controller that has your mouse and keyboard, else you'll need to use the power button / reset button to restart the system to have them back. ;)

But usually it is one of the following:

-> Graphics card drivers

-> Ethernet controller drivers

-> Sound card/chip drivers

I recommend to uninstall them, restart, and install the latest version. Of course, download them before hand, and be sure they are the correct ones, as it would suck to not have Ethernet controller working, because you uninstalled the drivers (Windows should use its built-in ones, but just in case).

Killer Ethernet is known to cause big issues with any OS (poor drivers).

If nothing helps, in the Task Manager, go under detail tab, and see what actually consumes the most memory.

It is normal that "Memory Compression" consumes ~200MB

Turned out to be Killer Ethernet I think, the reg edit fixed it atleast.

• 7 months later...