Is POE good for home networks?

My router on my home network is on the otherside of the house, I don't really want to buy another router or anything. A friend told mine about power over ethernet (POE), I was wondering if just my home network is okay to use POE, or if i need special outlets or anything else.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704165&cm_re=Power_line_adapter-_-33-704-165-_-Product (This is what he linked me)

Also a quick run down on how they work would be nice :)

Power over ethernet tends to be fine. (This is where you power an access point from the ethernet plug)

The ethernet over power line plug adaptors, which I deduce you are talking about from the context, are TERRIBLE and I would not recommend them for anyone. Not only do they tend to contain notable signal interference with the data transmission due to the fact that power cables are NOT designed for data transmission they also create lots of RF noise externally from the cable which messes with phones, wifi and other signals. Similar to the effects of a microwave.

Also many houses run multiple socket circuits through the fuse box rendering ethernet over power entirely useless for some applications

Strongly would NOT recommend ethernet over power plug adaptors to anyone. Run an ethernet through the wall or use a wireless repeater.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

11 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

Power over ethernet tends to be fine. (This is where you power an access point from the ethernet plug)

The ethernet over power line plug adaptors, which I deduce you are talking about from the context, are TERRIBLE and I would not recommend them for anyone. Not only do they tend to contain notable signal interference with the data transmission due to the fact that power cables are NOT designed for data transmission they also create lots of RF noise externally from the cable which messes with phones, wifi and other signals. Similar to the effects of a microwave.

Also many houses run multiple socket circuits through the fuse box rendering ethernet over power entirely useless for some applications

Strongly would NOT recommend ethernet over power plug adaptors to anyone. Run an ethernet through the wall or use a wireless repeater.

I can't really run an ethernet throught the wall sadly. Since i do not have an ethernet plug in my room, I don't think the POE would work for me, there is however a cable box connection (for cable tv?), this is a shot in the dark but is there anything I could do with that?

7 minutes ago, nodickpicsplzimamale said:

I can't really run an ethernet throught the wall sadly. Since i do not have an ethernet plug in my room, I don't think the POE would work for me, there is however a cable box connection (for cable tv?), this is a shot in the dark but is there anything I could do with that?

A cable box connection? Like an coaxial? If so I must be honest I have had no experience and am unsure of the results but you DO get an adapter for that. I believe its called a MoCA adapter. Not exactly cheap though. It needs a digital encoder and decoder and both sides.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

11 minutes ago, nodickpicsplzimamale said:

I used a Powerline Adapter they work fine. Simply don't use them at apartments, as they will create a ton of noise that ISP's don't want as it messes up other peoples internet. But at your home it's A ok. And T-Link is also very good, I used them before I had to return them because I didn't know they would create so much noise in apartments. They are highly stable and I recommend them.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

2 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

A cable box connection? Like an coaxial? If so I must be honest I have had no experience and am unsure of the results but you DO get an adapter for that. I believe its called a MoCA adapter. Not exactly cheap though. It needs a digital encoder and decoder and both sides.

I had a good jolly time with Powerline Adapters. I didn't suffer any issues whatsoever.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

I believe you are confusing POE and EOP...

POE (Power Over Ethernet) is where your router/switch sends power along with ethernet signal through an ethernet cable so that you can power networking devices without having to plug them into a wall power plug.

EOP (Ethernet Over Power) is used when you cant run an ethernet cables to your device so you send the signal through your houses power cables with wall plug adapters. this is what the device you've posted from newegg does.

Different people have mixed opinions about these devices, I have friends that use them and say they are fine but it really depends on how your using them.
I would say if you are using it to connect a gaming pc you would be better off getting a good wireless modem and adapter for your computer. They may not even work is the plugs you have them plugged into are on different circuits in your house.

It all depends on many things but for $50 you may as well give it a go.

14 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

I had a good jolly time with Powerline Adapters. I didn't suffer any issues whatsoever.

EVERY single case I have seen them used they have created issues, the core concept of the technology behind them is horrendous.

They are trying to shoehorn data transmission though uninsulated noisey cabling which is in no way designed for data transmission purposes. Not only are they forcing signal through less than sub-optimal cable but it also tends to travel through VERY noisey areas such as wall cavities behind other electronics, fuse boxes and potentially near to noise generating devices (In one usage case I witnessed the cable was routed through a kitchen, meaning whenever a high draw device with adjacent cabling such as the oven or a noisey device like a microwave was dropped on the line dropped 70% of its packets). Also the aforementioned white noise generated by the uninsulated cable can prevent other devices from functioning correctly such as mobile phones (landline wireless handsets included), other wifi signals (these things are normally wired up NEXT to peoples routers) and even TV and radio in some circumstances.

The fact that these devices are marketed towards amateur users who dont know any better as a "quick fix" to be frank I find disgusting. Unless in some very niche scenarios when certain standards of power cabling are used you will almost always experiance a lossey, jittery connection which disrupts other devices.

Dont waste your time with them. I would recommend a wireless repeater.

PC:

IoT:

4 minutes ago, SnipeYa said:

I believe you are confusing POE and EOP...

POE (Power Over Ethernet) is where your router/switch sends power along with ethernet signal through an ethernet cable so that you can power networking devices without having to plug them into a wall power plug.

EOP (Ethernet Over Power) is used when you cant run an ethernet cables to your device so you send the signal through your houses power cables with wall plug adapters. this is what the device you've posted from newegg does.

Different people have mixed opinions about these devices, I have friends that use them and say they are fine but it really depends on how your using them.
I would say if you are using it to connect a gaming pc you would be better off getting a good wireless modem and adapter for your computer. They may not even work is the plugs you have them plugged into are on different circuits in your house.

It all depends on many things but for $50 you may as well give it a go.

I have a actiontec 3000r, the router my ISP gave me, it works pretty okay. its just going through walls is a pain in the ass with 5ghz. I don't really want to shed out all that money for a new router unless i absolutely need to. tha'ts the hole reason im looking for other possibility's. 

2 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

EVERY single case I have seen them used they have created issues, the core concept of the technology behind them is horrendous.

They are trying to shoehorn data transmission though uninsulated noisey cabling which is in no way designed for data transmission purposes. Not only are they forcing signal through less than sub-optimal cable but it also tends to travel through VERY noisey areas such as wall cavities behind other electronics, fuse boxes and potentially near to noise generating devices (In one usage case I witnessed the cable was routed through a kitchen, meaning whenever a high draw device with adjacent cabling such as the oven or a noisey device like a microwave was dropped on the line dropped 70% of its packets). Also the aforementioned white noise generated by the uninsulated cable can prevent other devices from functioning correctly such as mobile phones (landline wireless handsets included), other wifi signals (these things are normally wired up NEXT to peoples routers) and even TV and radio in some circumstances.

The fact that these devices are marketed towards amateur users who dont know any better as a "quick fix" to be frank I find disgusting. Unless in some very niche scenarios when certain standards of power cabling are used you will almost always experiance a lossey, jittery connection which disrupts other devices.

I would recommend a wireless repeater.

thing is I get 4 bars on 5ghz, and 5 bars on 2.5ghz, but in CS:GO i'll get 100-300 ping.

1 minute ago, nodickpicsplzimamale said:

thing is I get 4 bars on 5ghz, and 5 bars on 2.5ghz, but in CS:GO i'll get 100-300 ping.

3 minutes ago, nodickpicsplzimamale said:

I have a actiontec 3000r, the router my ISP gave me, it works pretty okay. its just going through walls is a pain in the ass with 5ghz. I don't really want to shed out all that money for a new router unless i absolutely need to. tha'ts the hole reason im looking for other possibility's. 

Wireless will probably be better than the powerline adapter, But that one you posted from newegg is pretty good and could be better than im giving it credit for. For $50 it's worth just trying it out.

Just now, nodickpicsplzimamale said:

Ugh, that sounds like it may be your home internet connection or the server you are connecting too more than the router itself mate.

Try doing a pingtest.net test. It should give you a result like this

143274139.png

It may well be the gaming servers that you are connecting to which are the issue.

PC:

IoT:

32 minutes ago, SnipeYa said:

Wireless will probably be better than the powerline adapter, But that one you posted from newegg is pretty good and could be better than im giving it credit for. For $50 it's worth just trying it out.

I might try to toughen it out for now, but if it gets worse i'll get the powerline adapter.

31 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

Ugh, that sounds like it may be your home internet connection or the server you are connecting too more than the router itself mate.

Try doing a pingtest.net test. It should give you a result like this

143274139.png

It may well be the gaming servers that you are connecting to which are the issue.

It happened to me the last 4 matches I've played now, for those matches I was on 2.4 because it wasn't letting me on the 5ghz at all because i would lose all connection to the internet and windows 10 wouldn't let me switch to the 2.4 or even open menu. Now that I finally connected to the 5 ghz i tested out a game and got ~37 ms. this is really frustrating...

Using 5 ghz:
143275066.png

Using 2.4ghz:
143275155.png

Shouldn't the results be the opposite, having to go through a few walls and a floor?

Just now, nodickpicsplzimamale said:

I might try to toughen it out for now, but if it gets worse i'll get the powerline adapter.

It happened to me the last 4 matches I've played now, for those matches I was on 2.4 because it wasn't letting me on the 5ghz at all because i would lose all connection to the internet and windows 10 wouldn't let me switch to the 2.4 or even open menu. Now that I finally connected to the 5 ghz i tested out a game and got ~37 ms. this is really frustrating...

Using 5 ghz:
143275066.png

Using 2.4ghz:
143275155.png

Shouldn't the results be the opposite?

From those results I would hazard a guess and say that your 2.4GHz channel is populated. Do you by any chance live in a large apartment complex or big city? Because that would be likely to cause results like that on 2.4GHz if you have a neighbour using the same frequency as you are for their router. There are FAR more 5GHz channels than there are 2.4 so it is far less likely to be interfered with even if the data transmission range is slightly lower due to higher attenuation (more of the signal being blocked by materials).

However asides from that your internet looks ok, I would say your CSGO issues have been either a intermittant ISP or hardware issue (Some ISP SUUUUUCK during peak times) OR an issue with the servers you have been connecting to which could potentially be hosted in a very geographically distant location or have a problem with the routing.

The good news is from what you have said I would say you really dont need any different hardware from what you already have, if you are interested you can also use Speedtest.net to get a throughput result on each frequency, doing this at different times of day gives you an idea of the quality of your ISP, consistent results are good.

It should give you a result something like this 5236749636.png

They are normally slightly higher at offpeak time (like 5AM :| ) and lower on peak, the difference between the two numbers gives you a rough idea of the quality and saturation of your ISPs network.

PC:

IoT:

If you are getting low signal strength, bad SNR etc on 5 GHz then turn it off on the AP/router. 5GHz although great for high speed data transfer it has less usable signal range and has much less penetrating power to go through walls, this is due to higher frequencies bounding/reflecting more easily than lower frequencies.

Online gaming does not require much bandwidth at all, what is more important is a stable and consistent connection. Give it a try, will cost you nothing.

As @CtrlAltELITE point out though the 2.4 GHz spectrum is way more congested than 5GHz so the only way to know which is better is to test only using one then switch to compare.

8 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

I used a Powerline Adapter they work fine. Simply don't use them at apartments, as they will create a ton of noise that ISP's don't want as it messes up other peoples internet. But at your home it's A ok. And T-Link is also very good, I used them before I had to return them because I didn't know they would create so much noise in apartments. They are highly stable and I recommend them.

It all depends on the home wiring. As a result, it's even more hit or miss than wireless, which you know how well it will do if you know what you're buying.

Yours can be stable. You can take it to somebody elses house, and it may not be stable at all.