Can you do this

GreezyJeezy

Right now I have a fury X and I want to do one of these things

can I add a an Nvidia card to my pc to just separately to render, like a quadro or some other good rendering card.

so have my fury x and the Nvidia card in at the same time but use them individually?

otherwise I'll just crossfire my fury x with another fury x.

Sure! Linus used two Nvidia cards and two AMD cards in one rig. If you're going to get a Quadro, know that they are EXPENSIVE cards, and they are relatively low performance cards compared to price.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

3 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Right now I have a fury X and I want to do one of these things

can I add a an Nvidia card to my pc to just separately to render, like a quadro or some other good rendering card.

so have my fury x and the Nvidia card in at the same time but use them individually?

otherwise I'll just crossfire my fury x with another fury x.

Yes, you can do that.

You can get some Quadro card and set it as the rendering card. You just need to have the monitor hooked up on that card instead and set it as main gpu. Unless your rendering program can choose it by itself.

Just now, kimsejin5 said:

Sure! Linus used two Nvidia cards and two AMD cards in one rig. If you're going to get a Quadro, know that they are EXPENSIVE cards, and they are relatively low performance cards compared to price.

Yeah some are 3k but I need a really good rendering card

If you're looking for the utmost in reliability, the Quadro K4000 and M4000 are good cards to start with (yes, to START with). I use two M4000s in my editing/color correction rig. The thing is, if you're going to be dishing out the money for Quadros, you might as well go for Intel Xeon E5. v2 is DDR3 and v3 is DDR4 ONLY. For E5 v2 processors, one of the best boards is the Asus P9X79-E WS. Yes, it's expensive.

2 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

and they are relatively low performance cards compared to price.

You do realise a quadro's strength lies in areas other than gaming?

They are very low performance as GAMING cards but that is not what they are for, yes you can game on them (perhaps that is where the low performance compared to price comes from) but they are more for workstations than gaming.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

1 minute ago, soup said:

You do realise a quadro's strength lies in areas other than gaming?

They are very low performance as GAMING cards but that is not what they are for, yes you can game on them (perhaps that is where the low performance compared to price comes from) but they are more for workstations than gaming.

Right, unless you need twelve point double precision, a Quadro isn't going to do much other than offer some more stability. They are HOT cards (don't be surprised to see the card idling at 60-70 degrees), and they are very specialized cards. The reason that most gamers don't use Quadros is because they're not wishing "Oh if only the position of my character's head could have been calculated to 12 decimal points then I would be happy...[moans and despairs]"

as long as you can get the drivers to work properly when both are installed then sure

most people have issues with this part though

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

45 minutes ago, kimsejin5 said:

Right, unless you need twelve point double precision, a Quadro isn't going to do much other than offer some more stability. They are HOT cards (don't be surprised to see the card idling at 60-70 degrees), and they are very specialized cards. The reason that most gamers don't use Quadros is because they're not wishing "Oh if only the position of my character's head could have been calculated to 12 decimal points then I would be happy...[moans and despairs]"

True, but not every use case is Gaming, he has a Fury X for that.  He wants to run a Quadro side by side with the Fury X to also be able to have the same machine that he games on to able to render on, a machine that DOES need things done to "twelve decimal points".

"This too shall pass"

1 minute ago, soup said:

True, but not every use case is Gaming, he has a Fury X for that.  He wants to run a Quadro side by side with the Fury X to also be able to have the same machine that he games on to able to render on, a machine that DOES need things done to "twelve decimal points".

That's exactly what I was trying to say. Sorry if I was a bit incomprehensive. That card is a specialized card. If you think you need it, and you have a use case scenario for it, then rock on. Get that card. If you don't know how that card would affect your workflow, then you probably don't need one.

1 minute ago, kimsejin5 said:

Sorry if I was a bit incomprehensive.

Seems the two of us might be guilty of that.  It started with you saying the 'Quaddro had low performance to price', and me trying to say 'yep for gaming but...' .

Quaddro's do strike me as a ridiculous price, but I learned a long time ago that proper tools/equipment for proper/profesional work costs a LOT more than day to day punter stuff.

Aside :-

Son is a mechanic and laughs at some of the  tools I have, he will spend a day's wages on a spanner he uses a lot whereas my (similar) one will be a fraction of the price.  But as I say to him I only use it four or five times a year not every day like you, I do not need it to be as durable as yours

"This too shall pass"

39 minutes ago, soup said:

Seems the two of us might be guilty of that.  It started with you saying the 'Quaddro had low performance to price', and me trying to say 'yep for gaming but...' .

Quaddro's do strike me as a ridiculous price, but I learned a long time ago that proper tools/equipment for proper/profesional work costs a LOT more than day to day punter stuff.

Aside :-

Son is a mechanic and laughs at some of the  tools I have, he will spend a day's wages on a spanner he uses a lot whereas my (similar) one will be a fraction of the price.  But as I say to him I only use it four or five times a year not every day like you, I do not need it to be as durable as yours

My point is I need a quadro four rendering or any good rendering card, for extra heavy rendering  I use my fury X to game.

2 hours ago, GreezyJeezy said:

My point is I need a quadro four rendering or any good rendering card, for extra heavy rendering  I use my fury X to game.

See my post from two hours ago.

" True, but not every use case..."

"This too shall pass"

1 minute ago, soup said:

See my post from two hours ago.

" True, but not every use case..."

I was confused if it was your or him who thought the GPU was going to be used for gaming, I skimmed through you guys commenting to eaachother

NP .  Still like your Michelle Jenneke GIF.

"This too shall pass"