First Build, Choosing Between Two (USD1500)

Go to solution Solved by Zeinone,

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4yTtXL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4yTtXL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($161.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($45.05 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($65.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.97 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Acer G257HU smidpx 60Hz 25.0" Monitor  ($259.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1457.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-07 08:50 EDT-0400

A slight modification that leaves you with 40 bucks to get windows 10 via G2A aswell

Hi all,

I'm planning on making my first build and so far I've come up with two builds to choose from. I'd be most grateful if you could look them over and let me know what you think of the parts I've picked out. I'd like to try to stay around the same budget but of course less would be better. I don't plan to overclock and it will be a single GPU build. I haven't included additional case fans or CPU fan as I plan to use the stock ones but am open to suggestions if they are needed.

1. Budget & Location

USD1500, Malaysia (Hot and Humid climate, Limited Choice for Parts)

2. Aim

Equal parts gaming and graphic design using Adobe Creative Cloud but no video rendering.

3. Monitors

One monitor, ASUS MG279Q. 2560 X 1440.

4. Peripherals

None needed. I will use my current existing ones.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I don't have a rig. I am currently using a 4 year old notebook.

Build 1

Less powerful GPU, better overall components(not sure but based off the research i've done). I've included two types of RAM, trying to decide on either.

Build 2

More powerful GPU, skimped on certain components.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your opinions on optimization and parts. Cheers.

Thanks for the quick reply, TheRandomness. Any suggestions on a cheaper, reliable PSU? The RAM I selected is actually just one set of 2x4GB ones, either the Corsair or Avexir. As for the monitor, may I ask why it would be a struggle? (sorry, still a noob here)

You forgot the cooler, get perhaps an evo 212 from coolermaster, cheap and reliable

Thanks for the input Zeinone. I'll definitely take that into consideration.

Get windows elsewhere for like $30 Kingpuin/G2A and use that money towards 6700k/z170 board

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

Get windows elsewhere for like $30 Kingpuin/G2A and use that money towards 6700k/z170 board

d850584c02689c9f4d4a092028ed6a59.jpg

You've mixed and matched different Ram, which is okay as long as everything is the same but you chose two sets of different speeds...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

For the rig more orientated towards gaming (powerful gpu) u get i5-6600k or i5-4690k with r9-390x/980ti

For balanced (gaming/work) u try to fit i7-4790k, i7-6700k or even non-K version of those (K version might not be worth the extra money due to where u live) with gtx 980/r9 390X.

Thats how I hope u can build your system without knowing HW prices at your location.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($65.89 @ OutletPC) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.97 @ Amazon) 

A slight modification that leaves you with 40 bucks to get windows 10 via G2A aswell

Thanks for all the prompt replies. I'll have to check the pricing and availability of the parts locally and get back to you on this.

Mr. Meerkat, the two differing Ram was supposed to be an either/or option. Sorry for the confusion.

What is G2A?

9 hours ago, Zeinone said:

@Zeinone, based on your recommended build, I am able to source nearly all the parts locally with a few exceptions.

1.) For some reason, the G.Skill Ripjaws RAM is pricey here at almost an extra 100USD above the Newegg price. The more affordable brands I can get here are primarily Kingston and Corsair for RAM.

2.) I can't find EVGA power supplies here. What I can get is Corsair, Cooler Master, Aerocool, Thermaltake, Silverstone, Super Flower, Seasonic. Am leaning to either Cooler Master V650 or Super Flower Leadex Gold 650w.

3.) Can't seem to find the exact monitor model locally. Weird. Primary monitor brands here are Asus, Acer, BenQ, Dell and AOC. Any follow up suggestions? IPS preferred.

Thanks again.

4 minutes ago, Jin Hitori said:

@Zeinone, based on your recommended build, I am able to source nearly all the parts locally with a few exceptions.

1.) For some reason, the G.Skill Ripjaws RAM is pricey here at almost an extra 100USD above the Newegg price. The more affordable brands I can get here are primarily Kingston and Corsair for RAM.

2.) I can't find EVGA power supplies here. What I can get is Corsair, Cooler Master, Aerocool, Thermaltake, Silverstone, Super Flower, Seasonic. Am leaning to either Cooler Master V650 or Super Flower Leadex Gold 650w.

3.) Can't seem to find the exact monitor model locally. Weird. Primary monitor brands here are Asus, Acer, BenQ, Dell and AOC. Any follow up suggestions? IPS preferred.

Thanks again.

Okay:

1. The G.Skill ram is at my place cheaper so I assumed it will be at your place too, ram is pretty close from all reputable brands, see to get a 2x8gb kit from corsair or kingston if it's more affordable and make sure its DDR4

2. The v650 is a great psu, if I'm not mistaken it's gold rated as well

3. As for the monitor I'm not sure there, the best is to see monitors at your local store or a Malaysian online store and when you see (or when they give you a suggestion) check that monitor out online (ratings, reviews etc) and decide whether to buy it or not!

Hope I helped :)

Very much, thanks a lot. I'm glad I got some feedback before finalizing. Will probably get them sorted out this weekend.

The Corsair LPX memory is better and worth the extra in my opinion.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/V650/12.html is a decent review of the CM psu in build 2. Bottom line, good but pricey. I would look for a better choice of 650W. Are Superflower or EVGA psu available in your area?

The motherboards are mATX. I would suggest an mATX case like the Cooler Master N200, Fractal Design Define Mini, or Corsair Carbide 88R instead of an ATX case.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Hey brob,

thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the Corsairs myself. Unfortunately, EVGA is not available in my area. At least not their PSUs. Super Flower yes, also Corsair, Cooler Master, Aerocool, Thermaltake, Silverstone, and Seasonic are all brands I can get here for PSUs. 

I didn't think of the mobo being mATX. Thanks for pointing it out. I do remember seeing the Corsair Carbide 88R in the local shops being an option. I'll look into mATX cases but would the case size affect temperature and airflow, especially if I just use stock case fans?

3 hours ago, Jin Hitori said:

Hey brob,

thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the Corsairs myself. Unfortunately, EVGA is not available in my area. At least not their PSUs. Super Flower yes, also Corsair, Cooler Master, Aerocool, Thermaltake, Silverstone, and Seasonic are all brands I can get here for PSUs. 

I didn't think of the mobo being mATX. Thanks for pointing it out. I do remember seeing the Corsair Carbide 88R in the local shops being an option. I'll look into mATX cases but would the case size affect temperature and airflow, especially if I just use stock case fans?

Superflower makes some excellent psu. They are an OEM of some of the excellent EVGA models. Check out pricing for Superflower, Seasonic, and Corsair. Ask here about models that meet your needs.

No problem putting an mATX motherboard in an ATX case. It just looks odd. Keeping a system cool depends on good airflow. This is determined mostly by fans, vents, and obstructions.

9 hours ago, brob said:

Superflower makes some excellent psu. They are an OEM of some of the excellent EVGA models. Check out pricing for Superflower, Seasonic, and Corsair. Ask here about models that meet your needs.

Hey brob, based on price point for 650w models available,

Corsair: VS650 ($80), CS650M ($117), CS650M ($107), CX650M ($74).There's also the RM series but they avg around $140 onwards.

Super Flower: Super Flower Leadex Silver ($99), Super Flower Leadex Gold ($114)

Seasonic: Seasonic G650 80Plus Gold ($131), Seasonic S12G-650 80Plus Gold ($115), There's also the X series but they avg around $165 onwards.

Cooler Master: Cooler Master V650 Gold($111), Cooler Master G650M Bronze ($93), Cooler Master GXII-RS650-ACAA-B1 ($86)

9 hours ago, brob said:

No problem putting an mATX motherboard in an ATX case. It just looks odd. Keeping a system cool depends on good airflow. This is determined mostly by fans, vents, and obstructions.

Think I'll go with what you suggested, the Corsair Carbide 88R. I'd like a window on my case.

8 hours ago, TITANB said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4yB723 this is what is picked and g2a is web store u can buy cheap games and software

Hey TITANB, appreciated the input but after going through the parts you picked out, I don't think I can fit the GTX 980 in my budget(as much as I'd love to). Also, I'd prefer an IPS monitor to a TN monitor. That said, the Samsung 850 EVO was my first choice for storage but it's really expensive here where I am.

@Jin Hitori The Superflower Leadexx Gold is an excellent modular unit. Given the price, it would be my first choice.

I don't know anything about Leadex Silver models. The Seasonic G series are very good. The S12G not so much. The CM V650 looks to be a decent unit. The other Cooler Master models are just average.

On 4/8/2016 at 10:13 PM, brob said:

The Superflower Leadexx Gold is an excellent modular unit. Given the price, it would be my first choice.

Alright, this is what I'll get then. So excited! Thank you for the input. Much appreciated.