How Do I Get Files off a 5200 macintosh onto PC?

Godrick_

Hey Guys,

I have lying around an old 5200 macintosh and i'd like to get files off of it onto my PC including old save files for SimCity 2000 :P.

What would be the easiest way to go about this?

Thanks !!!!!

5200rear.jpg

5200front.jpg

take off its hardrive if its sata compatible and try plugging it in your motherboard if you have a desktop

Just now, psycoUSA said:

take off its hardrive if its sata compatible and try plugging it in your motherboard if you have a desktop

It's definitely not SATA xD It's most likely IDE or earlier.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Tell Apple that they suck and then smash it brutally.... ??

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

then try floppy disks :P 

4 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

it's a 500MB IDE drive.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Was thinking floppy reader but was hoping was easier way haha.

Is there any network connections on this thing i have no idea lol

Worst case scenario, open the file in a hex editor on the mac and then type in all the bits into a new file on your PC.  Odds are the file isn't that big, so... :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Floppy disk,  then plug that floppy disk into a mac with a fdd and a USB port,  plug a USB onto the USB port and copy the files across. 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Worst case scenario, open the file in a hex editor on the mac and then type in all the bits into a new file on your PC.  Odds are the file isn't that big, so... :P

That step isn't the issue for me, it's getting the files to the PC : D

Anyway to get a usb onto this machine with adapter of sorts or Ethernet connection?

Just now, Godrick_ said:

That step isn't the issue for me, it's getting the files to the PC : D

Anyway to get a usb onto this machine with adapter of sorts or Ethernet connection?

If it has any ethernet ports, it would be easy most likely but I don't see any.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I just thought of something crazy... it would require writing some software but I think it could be done.  First, connect the headphone/speaker jack on the mac to the microphone/line in on your PC.  Basically you have a program on the mac read the file and send beeps of sound, 1 for each bit or something like that (you choose the encoding method), and of course receive and recreate the file on the PC.  Analog file transfer, dialup style :D

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I just thought of something crazy... it would require writing some software but I think it could be done.  First, connect the headphone/speaker jack on the mac to the microphone/line in on your PC.  Basically you have a program on the mac read the file and send beeps of sound, 1 for each bit or something like that (you choose the encoding method), and of course receive and recreate the file on the PC.  Analog file transfer, dialup style :D

Feel free to write the code and i'll test it for you man haha

Just now, Godrick_ said:

Feel free to write the code and i'll test it for you man haha

I think floppies are really the easiest and simplest option, and that's been mentioned.  Everything from here on out is likely to get more ridiculous :)

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think floppies are really the easiest and simplest option, and that's been mentioned.  Everything from here on out is likely to get more ridiculous :)

Yeah : (( $15 for fdd then $25 for a floppy disc 

Go to your nearest thrift shop, buy a PC with a sata port and an ide port, and you know what goes next! I had to edit this  five times for it to actually put ide and sata! I'm using a phone with a text correcting keyboard!

17 hours ago, UnderFact said:

Go to your nearest thrift shop, buy a PC with a sata port and an ide port, and you know what goes next! I had to edit this  five times for it to actually put ide and sata! I'm using a phone with a text correcting keyboard!

An IDE to SATA/USB adapter is probably cheaper :P

Also, just capitalize words and spell check will ignore them.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Youre right that an ide adapter thingy might be cheaper, but I got a PC from my thrift shop for fifty U.S cents!