My Internet

Guest SDJlegion

Hi all.

First, a little about my situation:

I have BT package (unlimited, "fibre optic", "infinity", etc.) which is one of the best they offer. Their package offers up to 76 MBPS download. I cannot use an ethernet cable, as that is out of the question. My wifi adapter allows speeds way over 40mbps download, so that is not the problem. My dad, who has his computer in the room opposite, gets 10mbps download on speedtest.net, and that room also holds the router (stock BT Home Hub 5). My phone and tablet get around 10 as well. According to speedtest.net, my ping is 16ms and my download is 12mbps. When downloading a steam game, I will not get over 1.5 megabytes per second, and if I do, it will drop shortly afterwards. Steam doesen't always push your bandwidth to the max, so a few days ago I downloaded Star Citizen (20+GB, I didn't buy it because of this) and got the same. It was a bit higher (1.7 megabytes per second), but there was barely an improvement. In both of these cases, the download will also commonly slow down and even stop completely, staying at around 20 kilobytes per second for about a minute, before going back up again.

Here are my problems:

• Every device in my household can barely manage above 15mbps  - customer support say I should at least be getting 20 if the computer is right next to the router (my dads is, he gets 10, as I mentioned).
  • My downloads are very slow and commonly cut out, and sometimes it is alot slower than 15mbps - sometimes staying at sub 500 kilobytes per second for days at a time.
  • My main problem - my game ping is dreadful. I play CS:GO along with other games, and my ping counter in those games is VERY high (100+) at times, so whether I can play or not is dictated by whether my internet is in a good mood.

Sometimes my internet is OK - I can tolerate the downloads being slow and cutting out (while far from perfect) as I can keep them on overnight. Sometimes (for weeks it can be like this) my ping will be fine (just above average, very playable). Sometimes my ping will shoot up in a game of CS, and I have a chance of being disconnected all together. I'm sure if any of you play CS you will know how frustrating this could be.

If any of you could help me that would be great - I have been putting up with this for too long and something needs to change!

3 minutes ago, SDJlegion said:

Hi all.

First, a little about my situation:

I have BT package (unlimited, "fibre optic", "infinity", etc.) which is one of the best they offer. Their package offers up to 76 MBPS download. I cannot use an ethernet cable, as that is out of the question. My wifi adapter allows speeds way over 40mbps download, so that is not the problem. My dad, who has his computer in the room opposite, gets 10mbps download on speedtest.net, and that room also holds the router (stock BT Home Hub 5). My phone and tablet get around 10 as well. According to speedtest.net, my ping is 16ms and my download is 12mbps. When downloading a steam game, I will not get over 1.5 megabytes per second, and if I do, it will drop shortly afterwards. Steam doesen't always push your bandwidth to the max, so a few days ago I downloaded Star Citizen (20+GB, I didn't buy it because of this) and got the same. It was a bit higher (1.7 megabytes per second), but there was barely an improvement. In both of these cases, the download will also commonly slow down and even stop completely, staying at around 20 kilobytes per second for about a minute, before going back up again.

Here are my problems:

• Every device in my household can barely manage above 15mbps  - customer support say I should at least be getting 20 if the computer is right next to the router (my dads is, he gets 10, as I mentioned).
  • My downloads are very slow and commonly cut out, and sometimes it is alot slower than 15mbps - sometimes staying at sub 500 kilobytes per second for days at a time.
  • My main problem - my game ping is dreadful. I play CS:GO along with other games, and my ping counter in those games is VERY high (100+) at times, so whether I can play or not is dictated by whether my internet is in a good mood.

Sometimes my internet is OK - I can tolerate the downloads being slow and cutting out (while far from perfect) as I can keep them on overnight. Sometimes (for weeks it can be like this) my ping will be fine (just above average, very playable). Sometimes my ping will shoot up in a game of CS, and I have a chance of being disconnected all together. I'm sure if any of you play CS you will know how frustrating this could be.

If any of you could help me that would be great - I have been putting up with this for too long and something needs to change!

What hardware did the ISP provide? Modem and router? 

mbps (all lowercase) is MegaBITS per second. 

MB/s is MegaBYTES per second. 

there are 8 bits in one byte, so 16/8=2 so 2 Megabytes per second is your max. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

run a speedtest hardwired to the router to get a baseline. disconnect the router, hardwire to the modem and run another speedtest. the results should be the same +- a few MB

if they're not then you've isolated the problem to just your router.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/1403054/bt-home-hub-5-settings-guide-how-to-get-more-speed-and-make-it-less-annoying

Just as a tweak, but I suspect that wont do much. The first thought is to test the hardwire speeds and then look into a new AP if those are good. The other though it that you may have a good deal of interference or just having the bandwidth eaten up which will be fixed by a new ap or tweaking you channels. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Based on the context of the post I'm assuming that you are using the router given to you by your internet service provider. If that is true, then that's why your internet sucks. The ones given out by these companies are just plain garbage. You can buy a half-way descent wireless router for around $50 and a high end one for around $200. I recommend ASUS. I have the RT-N56U, which at the time I bought it was a very nice router, but has since become somewhat lower tier. But I live in a three story house and I have it on the top floor in the corner of the floor and I can get a connection all the way in the basement in the opposite corner with speeds of about 16 mbps (or 2 MBps) while speeds right next to it can get up to around 60-70 mbps (or around 8 MBps). Although if you're looking for something that's easier to use, then get the Google OnHub.

2 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

What hardware did the ISP provide? Modem and router? 

mbps (all lowercase) is MegaBITS per second. 

MB/s is MegaBYTES per second. 

there are 8 bits in one byte, so 16/8=2 so 2 Megabytes per second is your max. 

I do believe home hub 5 acts as both a modem and router.

Sorry, I forgot the correct units, but when I meant megabytes I put megabytes, and when I meant megabits I put mbps or MBPS.

4 minutes ago, MrBucket101 said:

run a speedtest hardwired to the router to get a baseline. disconnect the router, hardwire to the modem and run another speedtest. the results should be the same +- a few MB

if they're not then you've isolated the problem to just your router.

Did that a while back, came out at 14 mbps, so I don't think the router is the problem.

2 hours ago, SDJlegion said:

Did that a while back, came out at 14 mbps, so I don't think the router is the problem.

if this is the case, then there is NOTHING you can physically to do address the issue.

You will need to contact your ISP and most likely, have them send a technician out to you. The signal your modem is receiving probably isn't very good, and they'll either need to cleanup/replace the line-in, or boost the signal.

Either way, nothing you can do except call and complain