Short stroking

buttermaster12

Would short stroking increase the performance of my 1tb hdd?..I can't afford an ssd right now!

What is short stroking?

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

Do the same thing that Linus did and look at the drop-off in performance to see what you can maybe expect from the drive with no activity on it other than that partition.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

18 minutes ago, Codyman125 said:

What is short stroking?

Short-stroking is the idea of partitioning a portion of the drive at its fastest points, and then creating another partition for the rest.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, buttermaster12 said:

Looking at this is it a good idea to proceed?

Screenshot_1.png

Considering how inconsistent it is, I would say you won't necessarily benefit at all, but it won't harm the drive doing it.

6 hours ago, buttermaster12 said:

~snip~

Hey there :) welcome to the community! 

As Linus describes it, short stroking is simply limiting your HDD to work only on part of the platters, limiting its capacity in order to improve the lower part of the read/write speeds. While it still works, I wouldn't say it makes much sense for today's drives as the price of the capacity that you would lose would be far greater than the price of the speed gain. Saving up for a small SSD just for the OS is a great idea.

A few words on your drive: according to the screenshot that you posted the drive may have serious problems as such huge differences between the higher and lower speeds usually indicate problems with the drive itself. I would perform some diagnostic tests to verify that the drive is healthy and safe to store your data. 

According to the video, you would need to cut the drive's partition at about the 100GB mark which would result in losing 900GB worth of storage space in order to gain just a bit more speed. I would rather consider getting a new HDD or save up for a small SSD for the OS as it offers much more potential. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Nobody in the real world "short-strokes".  Its actually less efficient from the point of view of the filesystem than partitioning the entire space and allowing the drive to allocate. 

If you need speed, go with a SSD.