Windows 10 transfer

DualZone

I am planning on getting an ssd and I puting my operating system on it and some other files to make my pc faster. I am also planning on keeping my old harddrive as a place to store my games and other files. I was wondering if there was a way to transfer the os from the harddrive to the ssd and keep all my other files on the harddrive. If so how could I go about doing this so that I do not have to buy a new os.

Assuming you're running Windows 10 (and it's activated) as your post title suggests, you won't have to buy a new OS even if you do a clean install.

Some SSD's come with drive cloning software that can move everything over, although not every software supports shrinking your drive down to size if the SSD is smaller than your current boot drive.

Acronis True Image can do it, and IMO is well worth the purchase if you don't have any experience working with partitions already.

EaseUs ToDo Backup is free, and looks promising for backup and cloning of drives, but I'm not familiar with the software.

HowToGeek has a guide on how to upgrade your existing hard drive featuring Macrium Reflect software you can try too.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Assuming you're running Windows 10 (and it's activated) as your post title suggests, you won't have to buy a new OS even if you do a clean install.

Some SSD's come with drive cloning software that can move everything over, although not every software supports shrinking your drive down to size if the SSD is smaller than your current boot drive.

Acronis True Image can do it, and IMO is well worth the purchase if you don't have any experience working with partitions already.

EaseUs ToDo Backup is free, and looks promising for backup and cloning of drives, but I'm not familiar with the software.

HowToGeek has a guide on how to upgrade your existing hard drive featuring Macrium Reflect software you can try too.

Thanks. Is there anyway to move Windows 10 alone over and not have to shrink the drive data to fit the ssd?

well first of all you dont want to clone an OS to an SSD or you will almost certainly have problems in the future with all kinds of stuff

second, you can reinstall your OS without buying a new one

all you need is the key for your OS (which you can get with a keyfinder) and put windows 10 on a USB and install on the SSD

if you're already using windows 10 then its even easier, all you need to do is put windows 10 on a USB, install it, and ti will activate itself

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020