F@H with different Generations of Nvidia GPUs

Not sure if anyone has done this. Logic tells me it should work. But Nvidia being Nvidia, here's what I plan to do.

Currently, I have 2x GTX980 in SLI mode and this PC is my work, game and folding machine so it's pretty much on 24/7. With Pascal coming out, I'm planning to get 2 more GPUs to make a total of 4 GPUs. Under any other circumstances, this should be a no brainer. However I intend to keep the 2 980s in independent mode in the same rig and run the 2 Pascals in SLI then have the displays running off the Pascals.The scenario is such that I should be able to fold with the 980s no matter what am I doing. So when I'm gaming, the 980s are still doing work while the CPU and Pascals are gaming.

Is this even possible with Nvidia or do I have to change anything in the F@H configuration? Yes I know this setup is a total mega overkill for gaming but I'm just a sucker for new hardware.

1 minute ago, kangk81 said:

Not sure if anyone has done this. Logic tells me it should work. But Nvidia being Nvidia, here's what I plan to do.

Currently, I have 2x GTX980 in SLI mode and this PC is my work, game and folding machine so it's pretty much on 24/7. With Pascal coming out, I'm planning to get 2 more GPUs to make a total of 4 GPUs. Under any other circumstances, this should be a no brainer. However I intend to keep the 2 980s in the same rig and run the 2 Pascals in SLI then have the displays running off the Pascals.The scenario is such that I should be able to fold with the 980s no matter what am I doing. So when I'm gaming, the 980s are still doing work while the CPU and Pascals are gaming.

Is this even possible with Nvidia or do I have to change anything in the F@H configuration? Yes I know this setup is a total mega overkill for gaming but I'm just a sucker for new hardware.

You just need to make sure that your mobo (+ PSU and case) supports 4 GPUs. But yeah, you can do that. Also, keep in mind that you need 1 thread per Nvidia GPU for folding. Wheter it's a HT or real core, doesn't matter: you need 1 per GPU.

Finally, you'll have to manually pause / unpause the Pascal slots when you want to game. But that should be a given.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

You just need to make sure that your mobo (+ PSU and case) supports 4 GPUs. But yeah, you can do that. Also, keep in mind that you need 1 thread per Nvidia GPU for folding. Wheter it's a HT or real core, doesn't matter: you need 1 per GPU.

Finally, you'll have to manually pause / unpause the Pascal slots when you want to game. But that should be a given.

Thanks! I should already have the hardware as far as mobo is concerned so that should be fine. 1200W PSU should be enough for the pascals + maxwells. Corsair tells me I using about 500W currently.

It's just a PITA to manually pause/unpause the slots. How I wish there was automation for this.