Pride and Joy - AMD Powerhouse!

dbidwell94

Well, the time has finally come for me to tell you about my finally-mostly-complete-but-yet-still-upgrading AMD powerhouse build! Pictures to be coming soon my fellow computer enthusiasts...

without further adieu: the parts!

Case: Corsair 500R White Edition

Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard (To be upgraded)

Processor: AMD FX-8350 (Currently clocked at 4.5 GHz) (To be upgraded)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80I GT with stock fans in push-pull

RAM: x2 8GB DDR-3 Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 MHz

Video Card: XFX R9 390 Black Edition (Soon to be joined with another....)

Storage: OCZ ARC 100 250GB SSD (Windows), OCZ ARC 100 500GB SSD (Games), Western Digital 1TB HHD (small media server drive / overflow)

PSU: ThermalTake 850 Watt Bronze certified semi-modular (To be upgraded)

Let me know what you guys think about this build, and what you think should be improved on. Planned upgrades include:

CPU: From FX-8350 to FX-9570

Motherboard: From MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard to ...? (Looking for Highly Overclock-able Motherboards with 2 or more RAM channels)

Video Card: Well... another XFX R9 390 of course...

PSU: Still looking for a good platinum certified fully modular psu that i like

Storage: Will eventually swap out the 250GB SSD from OCZ to another 500GB SSD from OCZ of the same model for use in RAID0

Alright, build on guys! 

Edited by dbidwell94

MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard, AMD FX-8350, XFX R9 390, x2 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866, 250gb ocz ssd, 500gb ocz ssd,

Corsair H80i GT, Corsair 500R White Edition, Thermaltake 850 Watt PSU

Oh, and 'Merica. Gotta have that 'Merica.

FX9 is just an OCed FX8 - not worth

For CF, you WANT intel - the 8350 WILL bottleneck

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Yes, i realize that almost any high end Intel build can and will trump this. But the parts for this computer are also considerably cheaper than Intel parts ;)

MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard, AMD FX-8350, XFX R9 390, x2 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866, 250gb ocz ssd, 500gb ocz ssd,

Why not just save your cash for Zen + Polaris? Would be better than going crossfire, and/or getting an FX 9000 series chip.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Don't upgrade to the 9590, it's literally the same chip clocked higher. Get a beefier cooler instead. Besides that good build. Ignore anyone who says that a bottleneck will be an issue. They don't know what they're talking about and very few frames in games will be cpu bound. 

7 minutes ago, dbidwell94 said:

Yes, i realize that almost any high end Intel build can and will trump this. But the parts for this computer are also considerably cheaper than Intel parts ;)

Just because the parts are cheaper doesn't mean you are getting more for you money, you are basically wasting money xfiring 390s because fx series cpus just and support that amount of power. 

Honestly I have no issues with the Corsair H80i GT. It keeps my 8350 at 15 Celsius idle, and around 28 under load. Loads better than the old CPU cooler. I had an Antec Kuhler 620. I S@#$ you not under load my 8350 reached an excess of 65+ Celsius. On a good day... 

i wouldn't get a fx 9xxx chip but a beefy cooler instead. But congrats:)

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 minute ago, dbidwell94 said:

It keeps my 8350 at 15 Celsius idle

No it doesn't. Your CPU does not run below room temperature, FX processors just give terribly inaccurate readings.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 minutes ago, dbidwell94 said:

Honestly I have no issues with the Corsair H80i GT. It keeps my 8350 at 15 Celsius idle, and around 28 under load.

I'm not going to say that I don't trust you, but I don't trust you. Something seems wrong.

You can't get below ambient temperatures (unless you like your room frosty).

Edit: Your most cost-effective upgrade that you can do is just to throw in another R9 390.

2 minutes ago, dbidwell94 said:

Honestly I have no issues with the Corsair H80i GT. It keeps my 8350 at 15 Celsius idle, and around 28 under load. Loads better than the old CPU cooler. I had an Antec Kuhler 620. I S@#$ you not under load my 8350 reached an excess of 65+ Celsius. On a good day... 

15 degrees idle? 28 load? Sounds sketchy.

The temp sensors on FX8 processors have been known to give wildly inaccurate readings a lot of the time. Unless it's 5 degrees celcius in your room, your CPU is running much hotter than that.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Well ya know, i do like a toasty room! ;D Yeah but seriously though it's a little hard for me to get accurate temperature readings from that dang CPU. AMD Overdrive only shows the Thermal Margin (worthless), HW Monitor shows the same thing as my Corsair Link software does, so yeah. Unless I want to dish out the money for a laser thermometer (nah) then I have to go with the built in thermometers from the motherboard and the 8350. 

If you're going to upgrade your CPU please do not upgrade it to the 9590. It'll be more beneficial to spend your money on a newer Intel CPU such as the 4690k or the 4790k, so you can keep your ram and so you have no need for replacing your power supply. (Also wait for the next generation of AMD/Nvidia GPU's to come out before you CF your 390)

Just now, Vandy190 said:

It'll be more beneficial to spend your money on a newer Intel CPU such as the 4690k or the 4790k,

Yes, your right. It probably would be. However, then i have to worry about upgrading the motherboard as well as the CPU at the same time, and that can be expensive. Especially because i'm not the kind of guy who settles for low end components (usually). So if i were to do that, it would be the top of the line Intel with the best motherboard i can find. Then again, as it stands right now i'm looking for another motherboard anyway so why not eh?

Here is a screenshot from my HW Monitor just to show you guys how sporadic the temperature readings are on this puppy. 

Untitled.png

Just now, dbidwell94 said:

Yes, your right. It probably would be. However, then i have to worry about upgrading the motherboard as well as the CPU at the same time, and that can be expensive. Especially because i'm not the kind of guy who settles for low end components (usually). So if i were to do that, it would be the top of the line Intel with the best motherboard i can find. Then again, as it stands right now i'm looking for another motherboard anyway so why not eh?

I'd probably just stick with what you've got, and only throw in the extra graphics card.

And if you really want a more powerful system after that, then think of switching to Intel later down the line. AMD sadly isn't competitive when it comes to the highest end CPU's anymore :/

Also remember that you can recoup some of the cost from selling your old hardware.

Here is a screenshot from my HW Monitor just to show you guys how sporadic the temperature readings are on this puppy. 

~snip~

I'm positive that the temperature readings from the CPU isn't working as it should.

Just now, GlassBomb said:

Also remember that you can recoup some of the cost from selling your old hardware.

Or I could just use the old hardware to start a dedicated server :D

Or I could just use the old hardware to start a dedicated server :D

Think you could do me a favor?

Run a short stress test (or a game that stresses the CPU) and check the temperatures for TMPIN0/1/2.

You asked, I delivered!

Untitled.png