Almost ready to buy: System without graphics card

Budget/Location:

Im in Canada with a budget of around 1250  Canadian Yen Rupees Rubles monopoly monies (no higher than 1500 including the graphics card.. even though initially I thought no higher than 1250, but you know).

Background:

This will be my first build after a long time spent window shopping/watching personally irrelevant pc videos.

Aim:

I plan to use the pc for media consumption, storage and gaming.

Part list:

Already have a mediocre microsoft keyboard, 100 dollar PlayStation 3d display and 5 dollar ebay mouse so, to save money I probably will just use these for now (please dont hurt me mechanical keyboard community)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.42 @ DirectCanada) 
Motherboard: MSI B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($133.34 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($60.45 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.72 @ DirectCanada) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($145.75 @ DirectCanada) 
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($91.21 @ DirectCanada) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($100.37 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre LED 43.5 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($9.45 @ DirectCanada) 
Total: $924.71
Prices include taxes

Reasons behind choices:

CPU:Processor seems reasonable enough for gaming, costs significantly less than the k skew and doesnt require more money for a cpu cooler. Also, given this would be my first build it makes assembly much easier.

MOBO: Has usb 3.1 on the back, led lighting and no brown or green pcb.

SSD: Originally was looking at the 850 evo, but this is much less expensive for performance that isnt too much worse from what recommendations/reviews say.

HDD: I want a reasonable amount of space. Later when I can Il probably try to get 2 more to add redundancy and space through raid.

CASE: Its one of the few cases that show the graphics card the way it looks best, I love how minimalistic and cute the front looks, and the orientation will cover up the view of the stock cpu heat sink.

POWER SUPPLY: I was initially looking to save a little money by going with one of the cheaper but reputable non modular power supplies (500b), but boy do ketchup spaghetti cables look bad. If there was a good power supply with black cables for less money id be interested in finding it.

CASEFAN: I know airflow doesnt matter too much (unless your computer case is filled with carpet), but  I just wanted a little more light for the graphics card so the plan is to get this one fan to give the inside a dim level of illumination. Cheapest one I could find.

Future additions:

GPU: I guess Il be playing on integrated graphics for a while, but I dont want to get a 28nm graphics card when rumours have it that polaris cards are around the corner. Not sure which gpu il be getting but around 400-500 cad seems reasonable. Something equivalent to a 970/390 or in between the 390 and 380

Hard drives: Id really hate to lose data, as it would be a huge hassle so in the future id like to maybe upgrade this to 3 - 3 terabyte drives in raid 5 so that a drive can fail without data loss. I dont imagine too much important info will be on the ssd so I dont care too much about that. 

Monitors: Eventually id like a secondary monitor of some sort. Probably a smaller display  off to the side for things like team speak. Actually thinking something like one of those inexpensive portable monitors would work.

before coming up with this, here was my first parts list.

System Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  

Displays: PlayStation® 3D Display (1080p)

Displays: VA1948M (900p)
Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050017-WLED 66.4 CFM  140mm Fan 
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 75.0 CFM  120mm Fans  
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse 

Fix your partslist. Just paste the permalink.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Just now, EarthboundHero said:

Fix your partslist. Just paste the permalink.

Fixed with both links and permalink

System Specs:

Spoiler

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  

As long as you have good reasons behind the parts you choose, it's all fine and dandy! ^_^

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

PSU:

NCIX has a good deal this week on the EVGA 650W P2 for $105 after mail in rebates which is a really good deal if that tickles your fancy. You'll get more wattage, higher 80+ rating and from a reputable brand (I think these units are super flower or seasonic rebrands too)

HDD:

when considering a second or third hard drive down the road to RAID, just remember that you will need to format the drive when RAIDing, so have somewhere to offload 3TB of data to. Just a early heads up

Second monitor:

If you only plan on using the second monitor for thing like teamspeak and monitoring things like your PC's temps, take a look at your local thrift store (ie Value Village, or Goodwill) for a cheap 4:3 LCD monitor that you could pick up for less than $10 CAD/Rubles. Sure they will be lower resolution and use VGA, and are possibly dirtier, but they can save you a lot of money for what you're doing if you give a good cleaning.

Edit:

Link to the PSU

http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-supernova-650-p2-80-85-114120-1101.htm

Edited by FourCorners

10 minutes ago, FourCorners said:

NCIX has a good deal this week on the EVGA 650W P2 for $105 after mail in rebates which is a really good deal if that tickles your fancy. You'll get more wattage, higher 80+ rating and from a reputable brand (I think these units are super flower or seasonic rebrands too)

Thanks for the tip, but at over 20 bucks more (the price here includes taxes), I cant really see enough benefits especially with the chore of the mail in rebate given Il never have sli/crossfire (board doesnt even support it).

System Specs:

Spoiler

Question about my choice of motheboard. Ive been alerted to the fact this MOBO cannot overclock memory or the cpu. That shouldnt matter too much, but is it worth getting a more expensive motherboard with the z170 chipset over this one with the b150 chipset?

For reference, Im now comparing 

This (current) with This 

Edit: and now this (since it has 3.1)

System Specs:

Spoiler