Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X

rk2319

Hey guys! Does anyone know if i can use my current routers as wireless access points with the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X?

Thanks!

Almost any router will work as a WAP you just need to set it in WAP only mode or disable DHCP/DNS it should pull an IP and gateway from the new router with those services and work fine. 

Rod 

----------

BSMods.com

Facebook

Youtube

Just now, rodrosenberg said:

Almost any router will work as a WAP you just need to set it in WAP only mode or disable DHCP/DNS it should pull an IP and gateway from the new router with those services and work fine. 

Thanks!

@rodrosenberg @rk2319 Make sure NAT is turned off as well or you will be creating a subnet which needs its own DHCP.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

Wouldn't recommend the ERX's - their pretty terrible in comparison to the ERL.

12 hours ago, rk2319 said:

Hey guys! Does anyone know if i can use my current routers as wireless access points with the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Can you elaborate? I was considering getting one to replace my Mikrotik Cloud Switch. I know they have only a max of 1Gbps backplane, no offloading, and only 256MB of RAM but what else am I missing?

-KuJoe

23 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Can you elaborate? I was considering getting one to replace my Mikrotik Cloud Switch. I know they have only a max of 1Gbps backplane, no offloading, and only 256MB of RAM but what else am I missing?

They're essentiall a switch running a software router - throughput/performance is significantly lower. Also I believe some features are disabled in the ERX's

3 hours ago, KuJoe said:

What's wrong with your Mikrotik that you want to replace it?

7 hours ago, beavo451 said:

What's wrong with your Mikrotik that you want to replace it?

I am switching everything over to Ubiquiti because that's what I'm using in production so I may as well use it at home also so I can be more familiar with it and have a testing environment that matches production. Originally the only reason I got my Mikrotik was for the wireless but having disabled it and started using UniFi adapters in my house I can happily switch to Ubiquiti now. Since I'm getting the Edge Router Lite now I also have the ability to swap it out with my production router in a pinch since we don't do full BGP tables or need more than 2 ports right now so that's an added bonus.

-KuJoe

On 4/3/2016 at 8:58 AM, Windspeed36 said:

Thoughts on the ERPOE? I just picked one up (can still be returned) it just seems like an ERLite with a POE switch module.

7 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Thoughts on the ERPOE? I just picked one up (can still be returned) it just seems like an ERLite with a POE switch module.

Higher performance yet again - it's what I've got

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

Higher performance yet again - it's what I've got

Just to be clear, higher performance than the ERLITE?

I'm liking mine, the CLI isn't too complex, and it's moderately well-documented :) The wizard also seems to be pretty alright for new users.

2 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Just to be clear, higher performance than the ERLITE?

I'm liking mine, the CLI isn't too complex, and it's moderately well-documented :) The wizard also seems to be pretty alright for new users.

ERX - ERL - ERPOE -ERPRO is the way the performance stacks. 

Just got my ERLite about 20 minutes ago. I forgot how small these things are, it looks comical next to my EdgeSwitch.

-KuJoe