Mechanical or not mechanical keyboards

Daniel123dk

Im looking to buy a New keyboard soon.

Im not going to spend very much on a keyboard but I dont want a cheap ass chinese special one.

What can You suggest?

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | I5-4690k| Dark Rock Pro 3 | ASUS RX480 |  Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb|

Playstation Pulse Headset Corsair Air 540 | Deiog DY-200 | AOC G2460Fq 

Dell Keyboard | 6x BeQuiet Silent Wings PWM 120mm 

Built  Not Bought

Your budget for the keyboard would be nice. But if you're looking to change from membrane to mechanical then the Cooler Master Storm series of mechanical keyboards would be good (like the XT if you need the full keyboard)

Personally, I prefer membrane and Chicklet keyboards - I type about 25% faster on those as opposed to Mechanical and the typing is also quieter most of the times

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Non-MK is an option only when you are on a <$100 budget. There is really no other benefit of rubber dome than that they're cheap and the quality shows that.

I can't really recommend an option for you, because as most people know, mechanical keyboards are amazing but they contain 2 major flaws

-Well regarded ones are quite expensive

-You will almost definitely refuse to use a membrane keyboard in your life anymore( except maybe for this guy)

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Personally, I prefer membrane and Chicklet keyboards - I type about 25% faster on those as opposed to Mechanical and the typing is also quieter most of the times

So make your choice, because if you use your keyboard often, i can almost definitely guarantee you will get hooked.

Another point i'd like to make is that people often disregard chinese switches because of their reputation of being low quality resulting in poor durability and inconsistent switch feeling.But, i am making the argument that if your switching from a membrane keyboard, any switch will feel amazing. As for durability, as far as i can tell, no one has used a chinese switch keyboard until the switch broke before.

18 minutes ago, BananaKnight said:

I can't really recommend an option for you, because as most people know, mechanical keyboards are amazing but they contain 2 major flaws

-Well regarded ones are quite expensive

-You will almost definitely refuse to use a membrane keyboard in your life anymore( except maybe for this guy)

So make your choice, because if you use your keyboard often, i can almost definitely guarantee you will get hooked.

Another point i'd like to make is that people often disregard chinese switches because of their reputation of being low quality resulting in poor durability and inconsistent switch feeling.But, i am making the argument that if your switching from a membrane keyboard, any switch will feel amazing. As for durability, as far as i can tell, no one has used a chinese switch keyboard until the switch broke before.

For 4 years I used a Delux membrane keyboard. 0 issues
Parents bought me a budget mechanical keyboard - used for a day, sold it.
Bought a membrane Thermaltake keyboard - vastly superior to the Mechanical one.
Year or two later - bought a laptop - still a better keyboard.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

46 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Bought a membrane Thermaltake keyboard - vastly superior to the Mechanical one.
Year or two later - bought a laptop - still a better keyboard.

It's preference at the end of the day I prefer browns does that make blues bad? No it doesn't and you've tried one switch and on a budget keyboard so I wouldn't judge them all. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

34 minutes ago, alexyy said:

It's preference at the end of the day I prefer browns does that make blues bad? No it doesn't and you've tried one switch and on a budget keyboard so I wouldn't judge them all. 

Thing is, I don't have a problem with the switches, they feel good. My issue is the keys are horribly tall and thus the travel distance between keys is long and that obstructs my typing

33 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Thing is, I don't have a problem with the switches, they feel good. My issue is the keys are horribly tall and thus the travel distance between keys is long and that obstructs my typing

You might like topre. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

12 minutes ago, alexyy said:

You might like topre. 

Topre?

3 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

That's why i said that you have the option to not try mechanical keyboards because there's not really anything wrong with membrane keyboards. Furthermore, don't you think that trying a conceptually different product for one day seems too short to make a conclusion about it. The transition between membrane and mechanical requires time,no? Even though you say the keys are horribly tall, but i maintain that if you can use it for long enough you will get used to the height, this is a sacrifice that many people are willing to make for the good feeling switches as you said. 

7 minutes ago, BananaKnight said:

That's why i said that you have the option to not try mechanical keyboards because there's not really anything wrong with membrane keyboards. Furthermore, don't you think that trying a conceptually different product for one day seems too short to make a conclusion about it. The transition between membrane and mechanical requires time,no? Even though you say the keys are horribly tall, but i maintain that if you can use it for long enough you will get used to the height, this is a sacrifice that many people are willing to make for the good feeling switches as you said. 

Thing is, before the membrane keyboard, I spent a good 2 years with one of those old tall keyboards and that really was annoying back then. I just didn't want feel like going back to something I hated - tall keys.

As for membranes, 90% of people seem to enjoy bashing them for no reason and I like putting in a good word for them when I can.

Just now, don_svetlio said:

Thing is, before the membrane keyboard, I spent a good 2 years with one of those old tall keyboards and that really was annoying back then. I just didn't want feel like going back to something I hated - tall keys.

As for membranes, 90% of people seem to enjoy bashing them for no reason and I like putting in a good word for them when I can.

You know what, you do you, i'm not an advocate or fanboy of mechanical keyboards (Even though i like them very much). They are so different that i can imagine if most people are reluctant to use them : )

1 minute ago, BananaKnight said:

You know what, you do you, i'm not an advocate or fanboy of mechanical keyboards (Even though i like them very much). They are so different that i can imagine if most people are reluctant to use them : )

I'm not against Mechanical keyboards - to each their own as I like to say. Thing is, I got called out and felt the need to give an explanation. Tis' all.

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

I'm not against Mechanical keyboards - to each their own as I like to say. Thing is, I got called out and felt the need to give an explanation. Tis' all.

I'd say that our discussion is a unexpectedly good answer to this thread

4 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

Topre?

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Topre_switch