Help! Ext HD (need to format before i can use it)

i have a 1Tb toshiba hard drive that says i need to format the disk before i can use it. What do i do i don't want to lose my files

I also noticed that the name changed from what it normally was into Local DIsk (E:)

3 hours ago, BananaKnight said:

~snip~

Hey there,

What's the drive's model number? Do you use the "safe eject" function when removing the drive? Have you done any changes to your system or peripherals? Could you post a screenshot of the way the drive is seen in Disk Management?

The drive might have gotten damaged by ejecting inappropriately. When connecting the drive to a computer, the OS looks for data that was written the last time the drive was ejected that indicates there was nothing lost or corrupted before ejecting. If the OS doesn't find this data it may refuse to use the drive before formatting it. This is why you always have to use the Safe Eject button.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

My drive seems to have no problems now that i ran a disk check on it as per a thread in a microsoft forum.

I do not safely remove but i rarely unplug it as i intend it to serve as a permanent drive on my memory-sparse laptop . I will remember to do so in the future.

However it does say that i do not have access to files and need my administrator identity to permanently enable access, wonder if there is a problem with that

Anyway thanks for the info, i never understood safely remove anyway

On 2.04.2016 г. at 11:43 AM, BananaKnight said:

~snip~

I'm glad you've fixed it. Are you using the administrator account on your computer? I'd try to check the access permissions to that drive and make sure you are using it as the owner/administrator. :)

Safely removing drives is indeed an important part of keeping your data safe from corrupting. Even if your display shows your transfers are done, the system itself may be caching some files or have some other processes in the background that address the drive and if you unplug it, there may be some lost information in the cache. "Safe Eject" finishes and prevents any usage of the drive before reporting it as "Safe to remove" and writes this on the drive so the next tiem it is plugged in in this or another OS, it is known to have zero problems with its data. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/