D5 PWM pump - how to speed up for testing?

I'm about to lose my mind here...

For 2 hours now I've been trying to test my loop after changing cases and pump, from DDC to D5.

However, the pump just doesn't move the water enough - if this explanation makes any sense.

When I first powered the secondary PSU the PWM cable was plugged into the powerless mobo - in this case the water barely moved at all, wasn't even reaching the first GPU.

I removed the PWM cable completely and I saw some progress, it got to the last radiator, but never back into the reservoir. I've leaned the living sh!t of the case and a bit of water starts moving, but that's about it.

Please see the this photo: the blueish water with residues from the old loop never gets to the clear water in the reservoir. Do I have any chance to do at least a full circuit then replace the liquid?

P_20160331_221447.jpg

z

have you tried setting the CPU fan header to 100% in the UEFI or using the CPU_OPT header (if its PWM) ?

you need to send the pump a full power PWM signal for it to run at full speed, whether with this PC or with another PC

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Meh, I was trying to avoid testing with the actual system powered on.

But if that's the only choice, I will have to.

z

How to run your Laing D5 PWM pump at full speed for filling and bleeding

Take a PWM fan splitter or extension cable and connect the PWM wire (the 4th pin, which is the pin a 3 pin header doesn't have) to the red 5v wire from a molex connector (do NOT use the yellow 12v molex wire!). This constant 5v is identical to the PWM signal that makes the pump run at 100%.

if the pump is not connected to a fan connector its running at 60%

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

Well, before reading about that mob, I tested with the actual system.

The CPU reached shut down temp within 3 minutes or so. When I got to Windows and quickly opened a monitoring software it was at 80 degrees. Before I got the time to reset manually, it shut down.

Should I assume the pump is faulty? Or am I missing something perhaps?

z

Even if the pump isn't flowing, the temps don't go up that fast as long as there is water in the block and the block has good contact with the CPU. I know this because I've turned the PWM D5 way down before, and my CPU temps just hover above idle. 

I'd check your mount. This sounds stupid, but did you leave the sticker on the CPU block? That's a surprisingly common mistake. 

Build Log - Liquid Black Fury

10 minutes ago, Jidonsu said:

Even if the pump isn't flowing, the temps don't go up that fast as long as there is water in the block and the block has good contact with the CPU. I know this because I've turned the PWM D5 way down before, and my CPU temps just hover above idle. 

I'd check your mount. This sounds stupid, but did you leave the sticker on the CPU block? That's a surprisingly common mistake. 

Thanks man! Fortunately, neither of the above.

I got into bios, set the pump to full speed, and the temp shown in bios was below 30 degrees.

I am worried that I missed something with the res ports (quad read the manual though, this setup seems fine), or with the drain setup (this is my 3rd build, but never used a draining setup before). The noise the pump makes when at full speed is scary, and it sounds like it\s running dry, can't actually tell if there is water in the pump.

Can you guys please check this video

or the capture from the first post - did I mess up somewhere which causes the pump to dry out?

z

Thanks Minsekt for the mod and Jidonsu for the followup.

Indeed, air was the issue. I really expected the pump to just suck all the water out of the res when needed, same as the DDC, but that didn't happen.

All good now though, cheers.

z