Has Nvidia Forgotten Kepler? The GTX 780 Ti vs. the 290X Revisited

On 4/4/2016 at 5:19 PM, Prysin said:

all you gonna get is a half-arsed test anyway.

LMG is no longer producing factually relevant content. They are "click-whoring". They'd make a video just to get likes and subscribes. The content of the video would be whatever.

I hope Digital Foundry does these benchmarks.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

6 minutes ago, lightningterror said:

Nehhhh, they'll be like: 

*Nvidia in a 3 fps lead* 

DF: We can see a big lead for Nvidia!

*AMD in a 5fps lead*

DF: AMD is certainly leading, but not by much.   

Love their benchmarks, but I can't stand their bias remarks.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

On ‎04‎-‎04‎-‎2016 at 5:19 PM, Prysin said:

all you gonna get is a half-arsed test anyway.

LMG is no longer producing factually relevant content. They are "click-whoring". They'd make a video just to get likes and subscribes. The content of the video would be whatever.

This is sadly correct. They forget to be professional and competent in their reviews. Or maybe they just don't care anymore.

Their april fools joke about being NVidia owned is pretty much Poe's law at this point. Their horrible frankenserver test concluding that AMD and NVidia were equal, even though AMD beat the crap out of NVidia in every test, except the last one (which Linus apparently found to be the most relevant, imagine that), where the results were all over the place, where Fiji didn't work and a Hawaii beat a Hawaii pro (derp). It just seems like all objectivity is completely out the window.

I get that LMG wants to make entertainment like Scrapyard wars and their fun stuff channel; but then stop making reviews or get someone to do it, who actually wants to be objective and competent about it.

Whether they intend to or not, they come of very biased, simply because they don't treat each company equally.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

36 minutes ago, lightningterror said:

I hope not.

Here's how GTX 970 vs R9 390 shape up on The Division. Stock clocks on both here - though you'd be mad not to use 970's overclocking headroom, not really an option on the 390. And as a bonus, we take the 980 Ti for a spin at 1440p and 4K.

Why they can't just test Nvidia and AMD cards at stock speeds and call it a day is beyond me. Yeah, we get it, Maxwell cards have plenty OC headroom, but could you leave it alone for once? I'm looking for a fair comparison here.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

14 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

I hope not.

Why they can't just test Nvidia and AMD cards at stock speeds and call it a day is beyond me. Yeah, we get it, Maxwell cards have plenty OC headroom, but could you leave it alone for once? I'm looking for a fair comparison here.

Apparently cause its "already too hot" 9_9 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

35 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

I hope not.

Gotta love how they compare overclocked to stock... It's not like you cant overclock a amd GPU lol. I get 100 mhz clock and 150 mhz on memory, sure it's not as much as Nvidia but it makes a vast difference.

22 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Apparently cause its "already too hot" 9_9 

such a retarded point considering 99% of people who overclock their GPUs use afterburner or equivalent which includes fan control lol...

4 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

I hope not.

Ok then someone that can do proper benchmarks.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

On 04/04/2016 at 4:44 PM, kurahk7 said:

7950>7950boost is a rebrand

7950boost>280 is a rebrand

8800gt>9800gt is a rebrand

9800gtx+>gts250 is a rebrand

290>390 is a rebrand

290x>390x is a rebrand

There are a ton more but those are what I can list off the top of my head. 

I don't think so. If there is a performance increase, then it's not a rebrand. From the 290 to the 390, we have a 290 that didn't compete with a similar nvidia gpu, whereas we have the 390 that pretty much beats the 970

On 04/04/2016 at 4:44 PM, kurahk7 said:

7950>7950boost is a rebrand

7950boost>280 is a rebrand

8800gt>9800gt is a rebrand

9800gtx+>gts250 is a rebrand

290>390 is a rebrand

290x>390x is a rebrand

There are a ton more but those are what I can list off the top of my head. 

“AMD is pleased to bring you the new R9 390 series which has been in development for a little over a year now. To clarify, the new R9 390 comes standard with 8GB of GDDR5 memory and outpaces the 290X.

Some of the areas AMD focused on are as follows:

1) Manufacturing process optimizations allowing AMD to increase the engine clock by 50MHz on both 390 and 390X while maintaining the same power envelope

2) New high density memory devices allow the memory interface to be re-tuned for faster performance and more bandwidth

· Memory clock increased from 1250MHz to 1500MHz on both 390 and 390X

· Memory bandwidth increased from 320GB/s to 384GB/s

· 8GB frame buffer is standard on ALL cards, not just the OC versions

3) Complete re-write of the GPUs power management micro-architecture

· Under “worse case” power virus applications, the 390 and 390X have a similar power envelope to 290X

· Under “typical” gaming loads, power is expected to be lower than 290X while performance is increased”