Broken USB 3.0 header

Hello,

Today I was assebling a pc for a friend of mine and everything went well until I came to the point I had to insert the USB 3.0 header, at first it didn't fit so I investigated the issue and I saw that the pin next to the blocked off pin was bent, however, when bending it back, it broke completely. I already contacted the reseller and of course the issue is not covered since I broke it myself.

My question is now, can it hurt when I insert the USB header anyway? I am not a technician so I have no idea what the Vbus pin does.

Will my usb port work if I plug in the header?

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Hackthesystem said:

Hello,

Today I was assebling a pc for a friend of mine and everything went well until I came to the point I had to insert the USB 3.0 header, at first it didn't fit so I investigated the issue and I saw that the pin next to the blocked off pin was bent, however, when bending it back, it broke completely. I already contacted the reseller and of course the issue is not covered since I broke it myself.

My question is now, can it hurt when I insert the USB header anyway? I am not a technician so I have no idea what the Vbus pin does.

Will my usb port work if I plug in the header?

Thanks 

a normal usb 3.0 header will support 2 ports

if you didnt break the pins that are shared (Vdd or GND), then only one port will be unusable.

if you broke a shared pin, both probably wont work

if you're familiar with electronics, you can solder a replacement pin back

edit: i forgot that usb 3.0 header also have 2.0 connections
so odds are excellent that you can use both ports but might lose usb 2.0 or 3.0 connection for one of the ports

assuming you didnt break a shared pin

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

a normal usb 3.0 header will support 2 ports

if you didnt break the pins that are shared (Vdd or GND), then only one port will be unusable.

if you broke a shared pin, both probably wont work

if you're familiar with electronics, you can solder a replacement pin back

edit: i forgot that usb 3.0 header also have 2.0 connections
so odds are excellent that you can use both ports but might lose usb 2.0 or 3.0 connection for one of the ports

assuming you didnt break a shared pin

As I said, I broke the VBUS pin, but I have no idea what the purpose of that pin is... I do see however on the technical chart, that there are 2 VBUS pins, does that mean that it is not a shared pin?

Thanks for the fast reply btw ;)

Just now, Hackthesystem said:

As I said, I broke the VBUS pin, but I have no idea what the purpose of that pin is... I do see however on the technical chart, that there are 2 VBUS pins, does that mean that it is not a shared pin?

Thanks for the fast reply btw ;)

well the best way to find out is just powering the system and test it out xD

i dont know specifically what that pin is for but it seems like a data pin

so i guess you'll lose usb 3.0 or 2.0 speed for one of the ports

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

14 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

well the best way to find out is just powering the system and test it out xD

i dont know specifically what that pin is for but it seems like a data pin

so i guess you'll lose usb 3.0 or 2.0 speed for one of the ports

So, it turns out that one of both usb ports is fully working and the other doesnt even get power.... so that one is broken. Thanks for the respons anyway :P

your friend must not be satisfied with a broken usb port.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

your friend must not be satisfied with a broken usb port.

Yeah, i know, but there's not much I can do other than buying a pcie expansion header...

1 minute ago, Hackthesystem said:

Yeah, i know, but there's not much I can do other than buying a pcie expansion header...

that's the only way. He will also have more usb ports. What board does he have. Some have 2 usb 3 headers.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

You owe the guy a new board or a USB card.   If I was him I would insist on a new board but you need to give him the choice. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 31-3-2016 at 3:57 PM, KWelz said:

You owe the guy a new board or a USB card.   If I was him I would insist on a new board but you need to give him the choice. 

well, i delivered him his pc and he was totally fine with it... He was not planning on using the front usb's anyway...