Keyboard advice

Tmt97

So i've been using an old logitech keyboard that i pulled from the trash for a while now. I havn't really had a problem with it so far, and I still don't really, but as I find myself spending longer hours on the computer well into the night, it becomes kinda hard to see the letters on the keys. I am thinking that I'd like to buy myself a keyboard with LED lighting so that I can see what I type. Doesnt need to be some flashy -cough- tacky -cough-  thing with rainbow pulsating nyan cat patterns like I see reviewed sometimes, just something basic to see by. Figured as long as I'm buying myself a new keyboard I might as well get something that I will like and want to keep a while, so I'm here on my favorite forum to ask for some advice on keyboards and get some recommendations on something specific. My main question is what does "squishy / mushy" keys supposed to mean? I hear it mentioned a lot when talking about keyboards, but I've never felt a keyboard that I would describe as such. It all just feels like keys to me. I hear people rave about mechanical keyboards, but no one can seem to give any quantifiable advantage, and I have a hard time justifying paying the extra money for something mechanical when membrane style keyboards have never bothered me, and no one can explain why its so much better. As far as the keyboard I'm looking for, this is what I want: something that isnt mechanical, unless someone here can convince me its worth the price, something with basic LEDs to light it up, something comfortable to rest my wrists on for long periods of time, something that is relatively quiet, and something thats not super tacky(doesnt neccesarily scream gamer, and doesnt look like the the mushroom kingdom sent mario to paint a mural on the side of a keyboard if ya know what I mean...) If I can get some suggestions that match those criteria, it would really help. Thanks!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Try to find an old cherry MX keyboard, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-clavier-MX-11800-PS-2-trackball-serveur-MX11800-NEUF-Keyboard-Cherry-/301911808803?hash=item464b589b23:g:DU4AAOSwpDdU7gXb

I know its not a US listing but whatever.

They are cheaper than most other mech keyboards because they kinda look derpy. But I LOVE typing on mine (same model)

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-clavier-MX-11800-PS-2-trackball-serveur-MX11800-NEUF-Keyboard-Cherry-/301911808803?hash=item464b589b23:g:DU4AAOSwpDdU7gXb

They are cheaper than most other mech keyboards because they kinda look derpy. But I LOVE typing on mine (same model)

He said he wanted backlighting. What about a cm storm quickfire XT?

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

He said he wanted backlighting. What about a cm storm quickfire XT?

Oh, didnt see the wall of text. Uhh... Find a mechanical police keyboard? I would suggest used to be honest. Not sure what model

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I dont think you understood my post(maybe my fault...) I dont neccesarily want a mechanical keyboard at all, even an older one for a similar price to a membrane, as I said in my post no one has been able to explain whats better about it, so unless someone can explain it and convince me its worth it, id rather focus on the other features that I actually care about...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

For the last couple years I used the CM storm keyboard/mouse.. it's backlit, non mechanical, and relatively cheap (something like $30 for the set)

I was pretty happy with it.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

1 minute ago, givegomezthegun said:

For the last couple years I used the CM storm keyboard/mouse.. it's backlit, non mechanical, and relatively cheap (something like $30 for the set)

link? sounds pretty good.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

I dont think you understood my post(maybe my fault...) I dont neccesarily want a mechanical keyboard at all, even an older one for a similar price to a membrane, as I said in my post no one has been able to explain whats better about it, so unless someone can explain it and convince me its worth it, id rather focus on the other features that I actually care about...

I never really understood either

TILL I GOT ONE AND OMG I LOVE IT

2 minutes ago, givegomezthegun said:

That's the Octane thing, right? I strongly believe that keyboards using Cherry switches are vastly superior to everything else out there, but membranes still work

ASU

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I never really understood either

TILL I GOT ONE AND OMG I LOVE IT

yea, but can u explain why? I mean I anyone can "Say" they love anything. Unless someone can actually articulate even one reason its better than I have to assume its a combination of hype and the placebo affect... >.>

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

yea, but can u explain why? I mean I anyone can "Say" they love anything. Unless someone can actually articulate even one reason its better than I have to assume its a combination of hype and the placebo affect... >.>

Mechanical keyboards just feel so much nicer to type on. For some, it's a little weird at first, but oh my jesus, it's so good. The $80 I spent on my board was some of the best money I've ever spent.

ASU

1 minute ago, givegomezthegun said:

That looks great actually, unless someone can show something better, or unless a mechanical keyboard user can articulate a single reason its superior/better, then I think we have a winner.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Why don't you try one before you buy? Like maybe go to a store and try one before you pass judgement.

I feel like when I go to press a key, I often miss a keypress on a rubber dome because I need to make it all the way down, whereas a mechanical switch does not need to bottom out. I tested myself on a rubber dome and MX browns and I increased my WPM to 60 from 50 with 100% accuracy

Just now, Jwalbrecht2000 said:

Why don't you try one before you buy? Like maybe go to a store and try one before you pass judgement.

well I would but I cant find anywhere near me that has one on display, and no before you ask I don't have any friends irl that would have one. And lemme be clear, I am NOT passing judgement yet. Thats partially why I made this thread, because I am giving the benefit of the doubt. But so far I've heard no reason its better other that "it just is, buy one"... I am completely open to purchasing mechanical if I have a good reason to.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

well I would but I cant find anywhere near me that has one on display, and no before you ask I don't have any friends irl that would have one. And lemme be clear, I am NOT passing judgement yet. Thats partially why I made this thread, because I am giving the benefit of the doubt. But so far I've heard no reason its better other that "it just is, buy one"... I am completely open to purchasing mechanical if I have a good reason to.

Any nearby best buys or walmarts?

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I feel like when I go to press a key, I often miss a keypress on a rubber dome because I need to make it all the way down, whereas a mechanical switch does not need to bottom out. I tested myself on a rubber dome and MX browns and I increased my WPM to 60 from 50 with 100% accuracy

There we go! actual quantifiable improvement, that's all I wanted lol. If it can improve my typing speed and accuracy then I'll atleast consider.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Ok, I'll do my best to offer you some information.

1. Squishy or mushy keys: This is how membrane keyboards feel to many people. There is some feedback but it feels like you are pressing down on something soft. Think of a low quality remote control...when you press on the volume button does it feel solid or does it feel soft.

2. Mechanical keyboards: Generally the advantages to the mechanical keyboard is a combination of build quality, performance, and customization. Due to each key having a mechanical switch that is engineered for linear or tactile response the boards are built with higher standards of quality. If you do a lot of typing, the use of a mechanical keyboard is much nicer as you do not need to bottom out your keys and the type of switch can determine how much force is needed to actuate the data being sent to your screen. The feedback provided by switches can make a world of difference to the user, you can actually feel when the key is activated vs a membrane keyboard. I used a mechanical keyboard a long time ago...then used many membrane keyboards...and recently returned to mechanical. I can honestly say that the quality and experience of using a mechanical keyboard feels superior to me. If you can go to a store and test some out you can see if there is a difference for you personally...it can be hard to quantify or explain as it is an experience issue.  That said, I don't know of anyone who has gone to a mechanical keyboard who has ever gone back to a membrane keyboard as their primary input device.  

3. Noise. Noise comes from two different places with a mechanical keyboard. The first is the switch type (Blues are clicky and loud). Red and Brown on the other hand are nearly silent. The other noise comes from bottoming out your keys...when the key hits the bottom of the switch...the same is for a membrane keyboard....type normally and you hear the sound...now very gently press each key just until the key is activated...it is much quieter because you are not bottoming out. 

4. LED...yes, gaming keyboards were the first to have LED and as such they have all sorts of non-essential features and fancy / gaudy design elements. However the LED technology has moved into other lines now. I personally chose an RGB keyboard for my use and while it has all the silly features I can also do things like set only particular keys to be lit...or select a variety of solid colors at different intensities to meet my needs. Sometimes they are white...sometimes a dark blue...sometimes hot pink...depends on my mood I suppose. Setting individual keys is great for games or for applications where you want to highlight specific commands. For example, when doing video editing I can have particular keys grouped by color based on what the macro does. Kind of like the old templates you could apply to editing boards. 

5. Design...if you want simple there are many basic designs out there. I personally decided to go with a Ducky board as the build quality is good and if I turn off the lights it looks just like any other keyboard....except my custom ESC key. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

There we go! actual quantifiable improvement, that's all I wanted lol. If it can improve my typing speed and accuracy then I'll atleast consider.

Also, since most mechanical keyboards use Cherry MX keycaps, there becomes a sort of standard in mechanical keyboards.

In other words, once you find a flavor you like, you can keep going back to that flavor.

2 minutes ago, Papakuma said:

Ok, I'll do my best to offer you some information.

1. Squishy or mushy keys: This is how membrane keyboards feel to many people. There is some feedback but it feels like you are pressing down on something soft. Think of a low quality remote control...when you press on the volume button does it feel solid or does it feel soft.

2. Mechanical keyboards: Generally the advantages to the mechanical keyboard is a combination of build quality, performance, and customization. Due to each key having a mechanical switch that is engineered for linear or tactile response the boards are built with higher standards of quality. If you do a lot of typing, the use of a mechanical keyboard is much nicer as you do not need to bottom out your keys and the type of switch can determine how much force is needed to actuate the data being sent to your screen. The feedback provided by switches can make a world of difference to the user, you can actually feel when the key is activated vs a membrane keyboard. I used a mechanical keyboard a long time ago...then used many membrane keyboards...and recently returned to mechanical. I can honestly say that the quality and experience of using a mechanical keyboard feels superior to me. If you can go to a store and test some out you can see if there is a difference for you personally...it can be hard to quantify or explain as it is an experience issue.  That said, I don't know of anyone who has gone to a mechanical keyboard who has ever gone back to a membrane keyboard as their primary input device.  

3. Noise. Noise comes from two different places with a mechanical keyboard. The first is the switch type (Blues are clicky and loud). Red and Brown on the other hand are nearly silent. The other noise comes from bottoming out your keys...when the key hits the bottom of the switch...the same is for a membrane keyboard....type normally and you hear the sound...now very gently press each key just until the key is activated...it is much quieter because you are not bottoming out. 

4. LED...yes, gaming keyboards were the first to have LED and as such they have all sorts of non-essential features and fancy / gaudy design elements. However the LED technology has moved into other lines now. I personally chose an RGB keyboard for my use and while it has all the silly features I can also do things like set only particular keys to be lit...or select a variety of solid colors at different intensities to meet my needs. Sometimes they are white...sometimes a dark blue...sometimes hot pink...depends on my mood I suppose. Setting individual keys is great for games or for applications where you want to highlight specific commands. For example, when doing video editing I can have particular keys grouped by color based on what the macro does. Kind of like the old templates you could apply to editing boards. 

5. Design...if you want simple there are many basic designs out there. I personally decided to go with a Ducky board as the build quality is good and if I turn off the lights it looks just like any other keyboard....except my custom ESC key. 

Thank you, that was a very well thought out and informative response. :D

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Thank you, that was a very well thought out and informative response. :D

No problem. I try to provide more than just a sound byte when I have the time. I know it may seem like mechanical keyboards are overpriced and overhyped when you can pick up a membrane keyboard on the cheap. If you have the opportunity to try one I would highly recommend it. 

Any keyboard with cherry switches will feel mostly the same...although each switch type will feel a bit different. When I bought my Ducky board I tried other manufacturers with Red / Brown / Blue switches to see which felt better. My wife and I both love blues to type on but they are super loud and would not work for our environment. The reds felt mushy to me...I didn't like them at all even though they are the "gaming switch". The browns were a nice happy medium of being tactile while also being quiet. Then I decided on what board I actually wanted.

If you want to see what other types of board designs are out there take a look at mechanicalkeyboards.com They have a large variety from a lot of different manufactures at different prices and with different features. Might give you a better idea of what might meet your needs without the "LOOK AT ME I'M A GAMER AND A RAVER" style that you often encounter.

No matter what you choose, I hope you find the board that is right for you. 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!