Magic Mirror

zEbDKui.jpg

So to be clear this wasnt my idea. There are actually a lot of people that did that before and you can find tutorials. But this is mine and i wanted to share it with you.

This "magic" effect is archieved with a one-way-mirror which acts as a mirror when it has a black background and if there is light you can see through it. so for optimal results you want to have a black background with white text. I used a raspberry pi 3 with the apache server displaying with the chromium browser.

pS0UcKq.jpg

68Son0l.jpg?1

My version of the smart mirror is capable of displaying weather, nearby petrol prices, google maps driving time (with live traffic), indoor temperature (when the sensor arrives), time date and upcoming google calender events, a time-based message and a rss-feed.

WSA2QN9.jpg

MbaESuc.jpg

lC6GK3n.jpg

Pa2enYX.jpg

The cool thing about this beeing the raspberry pi 3 is that its powerful enough to other things. So if you want to watch a video or write a document you can do that. Its essentially a desktop.

E14PWJS.jpg

I might hang it to the wall if i find the time.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

do they make oval shaped LCDs? if so this would make me actually sitting down at my dressing table plausible.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

12 minutes ago, BurgerBum said:

do they make oval shaped LCDs? if so this would make me actually sitting down at my dressing table plausible.

well they only do horizontally curved monitors. but it looks like every girl likes the thing :D

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

9 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

well they only do horizontally curved monitors. but it looks like every girl likes the thing :D

literally having a dressing table with not enough room for a screen larger than my phone to show youtube videos without taking my eyes off the mirror is the only thing stopping me from putting makeup on every day.

surprisingly my louisiana born ''anti faggot'' mother is okay with me wearing small amounts of makeup.

anyway, i was hoping oval LCDs were a thing because we have round LCD and smart ink displays for stuff like watches nowadays. cant see whats stopping people from making them larger.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

5 minutes ago, BurgerBum said:

we do have oval lcd's in cars and stuff and it is absolutely possible but not yet for consumers so we got to wait a little longer :D