Build for Rendering, heavy 3d load. $1600-$1800

This is a new build i am planning to build. 

Its mostly for 3d work like lighting, rendering, animation and stuff related to 3d only(games are rare but included of course).

my budget lays between $1600 to $1800 max.

i may overclock a lill bit, but i am not much into it, if it helps a lot i will, if not so much i will stay with the stock clock speeds.

i don't plan on doing a two way sli in the near future hence the psu.

Here is my build.

CPU                                Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler                    Xigmatek Dark Knight II SD1283 89.5 CFM CPU Cooler

OR 

Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard                  MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Memory                         Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage                         Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

AND

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card                   MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card

Case                             Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply                Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX

I have a few questions like:

Is the cooling sufficient with cm 120 v plus?

Is the 550w gold cert sufficient or do i need more for the build?

is a dual way sli gtx 980 ti possible in the future on this build?

Suggest me any changes possible and necessary and helpful for my build. Appreciate your help.

Thanks.  

Looks like a great build. 

14 minutes ago, Malay Soni said:

This is a new build i am planning to build. 

Its mostly for 3d work like lighting, rendering, animation and stuff related to 3d only(games are rare but included of course).

my budget lays between $1600 to $1800 max.

i may overclock a lill bit, but i am not much into it, if it helps a lot i will, if not so much i will stay with the stock clock speeds.

i don't plan on doing a two way sli in the near future hence the psu.

Here is my build.

CPU                                Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler                    Xigmatek Dark Knight II SD1283 89.5 CFM CPU Cooler

OR 

Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard                  MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Memory                         Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage                         Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

AND

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card                   MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card

Case                             Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply                Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX

I have a few questions like:

Is the cooling sufficient with cm 120 v plus?

Is the 550w gold cert sufficient or do i need more for the build?

is a dual way sli gtx 980 ti possible in the future on this build?

Suggest me any changes possible and necessary and helpful for my build. Appreciate your help.

Thanks.  

A 600W PSU is recommended for the 980 Ti, but you should be fine with the 550W. If you add another GPU, you will need to upgrade your PSU.

What are you doing? Are you doing cpu or gpu rendering. If your doing gpu rendering id get a cheaper xeon e3 1231v3 and get a second gpu. If your going cpu id get a gtx 960 or used 770/780 and try to get 2 8 core xeons from ebay.

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

A 600W PSU is recommended for the 980 Ti, but you should be fine with the 550W. If you add another GPU, you will need to upgrade your PSU.

okay thanks and what about the cooling solutions? Is a cm 120V plus fine or do i need something better? Yes of course there are better options like a Corsair H100i but its out of budget and doing a push pull config on cm 120v sounds better. What do you guys say ?

So rendering heavy 3d stuff doesn't need high end coolers is it?

3 minutes ago, Malay Soni said:

So rendering heavy 3d stuff doesn't need high end coolers is it?

The cheapest I would go is a Cooler Master Hyper 212. Your temps will be fine with it, unless you overclock.

Edited by Matias_Chambers

X99 supports quad channel memory. You should either get a 4x4GB or 4x8GB memory kit to take advantage. It will make a difference in 3D work.

According to http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2693&page=5, the Dark Knight will do a reasonable job.

RM series psu are not known for their quality. Consider an RMx or RMi psu. EVGA G2 and other models as well as many Seasonic models would also be good choices. If the intention is to add a second gpu, a much larger psu would be needed.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

11 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you doing? Are you doing cpu or gpu rendering. If your doing gpu rendering id get a cheaper xeon e3 1231v3 and get a second gpu. If your going cpu id get a gtx 960 or used 770/780 and try to get 2 8 core xeons from ebay.

can you suggest me a xeon processor which will fit my budget if i buy two of them, because if i change my processors to 2 xeons i have to change my whole build including mobo and memory sticks. I would love a few suggestions for the mobo and dual processors that would fit my price range. 

Thank you. :)

10 hours ago, brob said:

X99 supports quad channel memory. You should either get a 4x4GB or 4x8GB memory kit to take advantage. It will make a difference in 3D work.

According to http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2693&page=5, the Dark Knight will do a reasonable job.

RM series psu are not known for their quality. Consider an RMx or RMi psu. EVGA G2 and other models as well as many Seasonic models would also be good choices. If the intention is to add a second gpu, a much larger psu would be needed.

Thats a very good suggestion. I will surely take that into account. Thanks a lot. 

But the problem is i live in india and evga is not available here, otherwise i would prefer evga first. But i will surely look into Seasonic models.

I researched a little to find this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

its is seasonic x650, tell me if its any good.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Malay Soni said:

can you suggest me a xeon processor which will fit my budget if i buy two of them, because if i change my processors to 2 xeons i have to change my whole build including mobo and memory sticks. I would love a few suggestions for the mobo and dual processors that would fit my price range. 

Thank you. :)

If you willing to ebay it up you can get e5 2680's for about 200 and a mobo for about 400. 

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you willing to ebay it up you can get e5 2680's for about 200 and a mobo for about 400. 

the problem is that i am in india and i have less options available to buy in india, like e5 2680 is not available in india. Can you help me out in someway?

5 minutes ago, Malay Soni said:

the problem is that i am in india and i have less options available to buy in india, like e5 2680 is not available in india. Can you help me out in someway?

Could you get a dual xeon 2011v3 mobo for about 200 then spend about 400 on two e5 2620 v3's or 2609's

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Could you get a dual xeon 2011v3 mobo for about 200 then spend about 400 on two e5 2620 v3's or 2609's

are you suggesting i should buy used components instead of new ones? because none of these components are $200 or $400.

Just now, Malay Soni said:

are you suggesting i should buy used components instead of new ones? because none of these components are $200 or $400.

In the us a xeon e5 2680(sandy bridge) is about 200 used on ebay). I have no idea where you are. A dual xeon mobo is around 400. A new xeon e5 2620 v3 is about 400 dollars.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

In the us a xeon e5 2680(sandy bridge) is about 200 used on ebay). I have no idea where you are. A dual xeon mobo is around 400. A new xeon e5 2620 v3 is about 400 dollars.

is it okay if i buy all mobo and xeons from US and get it shipped to India? will there be any issues ?

1 minute ago, Malay Soni said:

is it okay if i buy all mobo and xeons from US and get it shipped to India? will there be any issues ?

It should be fine. Shipping should hurt mobo's or cpu's if there packed well.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

It should be fine. Shipping should hurt mobo's or cpu's if there packed well.

okay i will look into it.

But if thats not possible is the build i have already planned, fine for the work i do like maya lighting and rendering and animations and realflow simulations?

9 minutes ago, Malay Soni said:

okay i will look into it.

But if thats not possible is the build i have already planned, fine for the work i do like maya lighting and rendering and animations and realflow simulations?

Yea the build you have is great for that. Id consider some more ram and mayber a sligly lowerend gpu as a 980ti is overkill for most things in maya, but good overall.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea the build you have is great for that. Id consider some more ram and mayber a sligly lowerend gpu as a 980ti is overkill for most things in maya, but good overall.

Okay thanks a ton for your replies. :) 

8 hours ago, Malay Soni said:

Thats a very good suggestion. I will surely take that into account. Thanks a lot. 

But the problem is i live in india and evga is not available here, otherwise i would prefer evga first. But i will surely look into Seasonic models.

I researched a little to find this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

its is seasonic x650, tell me if its any good.

Thank you

Seasonic X-650 is a very good psu.

You might check out the availability and pricing of Superflower psu. Their Leadex models tend to be very good.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

4 hours ago, brob said:

Seasonic X-650 is a very good psu.

You might check out the availability and pricing of Superflower psu. Their Leadex models tend to be very good.

Thanks buddy. I will check that out.

@brob

@Electronics Wizardy

@Matias_Chambers

can you guys help me with my gpu. You say 980 ti is a lot for my build and requirment. Then do i go for a 970 or a 960 gtx? which one is more powerful for its money ?

Thanks again for a lot of help you guys have done. :):D

6 minutes ago, Malay Soni said:

@brob

@Electronics Wizardy

@Matias_Chambers

can you guys help me with my gpu. You say 980 ti is a lot for my build and requirment. Then do i go for a 970 or a 960 gtx? which one is more powerful for its money ?

Thanks again for a lot of help you guys have done. :):D

Unless you game at a higher resolution than 1080p, you could go with an Intel Core i7 5960X and a GTX 970.