DC powered speakers?

sidas

So I had to use speakers outside a couple of times and I happened to have these old-ish Cambridge Soundworks PCWorks 2.1 speakers ([link] also [google image search]) that happen to run off of 12V DC, so I just powered them with my big-ass Powerbank [link].

But I havent found any new DC powered speakers (more powerful than USB powered) that would be 2.1 or under €80.

(I like 2.1, because I can put the battery and the sub in the backpack and put the sattelite speakers in the side pockets of the backpack)

Here's a list of DC powered stereo speakers I found so far

• JBL Control 2P (Stereo Pair) Model C2PS $209

• Bose Companion® 2 Series III $99,95

• Bose Computer MusicMonitor® $299,95

• Bose Companion® 20 $249,95

• Simple Audio Listen $268 (amazon) $499,99(Corsair)

The cheapest ones that I found – Bose Companion 2 – are more expensive per watt than something like AC powered Logitech Z533, which I can get for €77 : 

Bose – 12V*1,8A = 21,6W; Logitech – 60W.

My question is – are there new DC (9-20V) powered speakers (preferrably 2.1) that cost less than €80-100 ?

(or is my option to get a used car stereo for €20 and some speakers and DIY a system that way)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K (4GHz x 4 cores/8 threads);

RAM: 32GB DDR3 1333MHz; 

Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0; 

MB: ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1; 

Storage: 512GB Samsung 970 PRO NVMe SSD.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

All amplifiers require DC to run. Technically, you could simply remove the transformer and bridge rectifier from whatever 2.1 setup that suits your needs, and simply wire in your DC battery pack right at the input of the main filter capacitors.

Of course, you'll need to research if the amplifier circuit can be run from 12-14v single ended. Amplifiers designed for higher voltages will run, but will not perform to spec. If the amplifier requires a bipolar DC power supply though, it will not run properly.

I think you'll find the easiest solution to be running an inverter. That opens your options to all speakers on the market, but will cost you some power efficiency.

PC: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.6 GHz, 1.296v, Air 24/7 -- Windforce R9 270 @ 1200/1400 -- MSI Z87-GD65 -- 16GB DDR3-1866 -- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

Audio: Thiel CS1.2 Speakers -- Tripath Amps -- CS4398 DACs -- MiniDIGI 2x8 Active Crossover/DSP --  Stereo Bass via 2x Vifa 10", Linkwitz Transform'd to 25hz -3db

I swear all speakers are AC. From my understanding, speakers can't produce a sound using DC current..

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

2 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

I swear all speakers are AC. From my understanding, speakers can't produce a sound using DC current..

What do you mean by that? 

The current running through the speaker drivers is AC, but the amplifiers of the systems above get DC power

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

12 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

Speakers that you plug into a wall are initially drawing AC power, yes. However, amplifiers cannot run on AC power. The wall power needs to be rectified and filtered to DC to power any amplifier.

The input and output signals are AC waveforms, though.

PC: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.6 GHz, 1.296v, Air 24/7 -- Windforce R9 270 @ 1200/1400 -- MSI Z87-GD65 -- 16GB DDR3-1866 -- Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

Audio: Thiel CS1.2 Speakers -- Tripath Amps -- CS4398 DACs -- MiniDIGI 2x8 Active Crossover/DSP --  Stereo Bass via 2x Vifa 10", Linkwitz Transform'd to 25hz -3db

4 minutes ago, TheAudiophile said:

Speakers that you plug into a wall are initially drawing AC power, yes. However, amplifiers cannot run on AC power. The wall power needs to be rectified and filtered to DC to power any amplifier.

The input and output signals are AC waveforms, though.

So what is OP trying to buy/achieve?

Speakers that are compatible with his battery pack. He can either modify a set he likes to work with it, or buy an inverter.

4 minutes ago, TheAudiophile said:

Speakers that are compatible with his battery pack. He can either modify a set he likes to work with it, or buy an inverter.

Still don't get it :P

"  DC powered stereo speakers "

What's the difference between these and regular AC speakers?

I mean, what's the difference between normal speakers compared to the speakers @sidas wants..?

2 minutes ago, AstroBenny said:

I mean, what's the difference between normal speakers compared to the speakers @sidas wants..?

Price.

And possibly configuration (two full range instead of sub/amp unit and two smaller speakers)

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

4 hours ago, AstroBenny said:

Your normal speaker system plugs into the wall which is AC. He wants a system that runs from DC. 

What about getting a 12v to AC inverter? Is that an option for you? You can get a 300W continuous DC to AC inverter for less than $30 on amazon.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

6 hours ago, fishymamba said:

Your normal speaker system plugs into the wall which is AC. He wants a system that runs from DC. 

What about getting a 12v to AC inverter? Is that an option for you? You can get a 300W continuous DC to AC inverter for less than $30 on amazon.

But then don't you need a power supply to convert the DC to AC? 

9 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Get an old altec lansing speaker system. the gateway 2000 ones should do good.

As I mentioned, I have an old system, I was looking for something new. 

10 hours ago, fishymamba said:

As for an inverter – maybe an option, but a powerbank that I have is limited to 4,5A, so the max speaker power is going to be what – 50W? so a 300W inverter would be impractical. 

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.