Clone HDD in Raid O

Nucho1

Question: Can I clone a pair of HD drives in Raid O to a single SSD drive?

Try EaseUS Disk Copy utility

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Another option is the stunning wordpress blog method

http://www.badbod.com/move-windows-from-raid-0-to-single-disk-how-to/

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

6 hours ago, Nucho1 said:

~snip~

Hey there Nucho1 :) Welcome to the community!

While possible I wouldn't really recommend that as it involves quite a lot of risks. Some of them are data corruption and loss during the process, the SSD recognized as a HDD due to driver differences and thus being susceptible to defragmentation which can degrade the drive's lifespan, the SSD being recognized as a RAID volume and thus treated as such, risk of the array failing during the intensive reading and thus total data loss.

I would try to make a fresh install of the OS and all the applications and games on the SSD and then transfer everything else from the array to the SSD. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thank you Captain for you assistance. I did purchase a USB to 2.5 SATA connector cable and moved all my files on the F: drive which represents my current Raid 0 hard drives to one of my new SSD's. My current set up is one Samsung SSD with the OS on it and Raid 0 set up with 2 WD HDD. I purchased two SSD's and on one of them I moved over all the files on from the RAID 0 drives which I want to clone and set up now as a RAID 1.

So I should end up with a total 3 SSD's, one Samsung Pro 256 gb drive with the OS and two OCZ SSD's with all my other files from the previous RAID 0 configuration set up into a RAID 1 configuration.

However, I've been told that the UEFI utility on my Z97 Sabortooth Mark 1 motherboard, requires I clear the CMOS before attaching the new SSD's. I'm thinking the Samsung SSD w/the OS will still be able to boot to window once I clear the CMOS, which leave me free to attach the one SSD with all the files taken from the RAID 0 set up and clone it to the other new SSD I have. Then go into BIOS and set up these two SSD's in RAID 1 using the utility. Does that sound right?

Your assistance if very much appreciated!!

Nucho

On 2.04.2016 г. at 9:02 AM, Nucho1 said:

~snip~

You are most welcome! :)

I'd first check if the CMOS needs clearing before inserting the SSDs as it may cause recognition failure with the RAID array that you currently have. 

Well, Using SSDs in a RAID1 array just for redundancy seems like quite the overkill for me, but it should work just fine. RAID1 offers redundancy and a good boost to the sequential read speeds, but shouldn't be considered a backup by any means. Mirrored arrays don't give you safety over user mistakes, data corruption or deletion, and if the controller or anotherр vital part of the system fails. 

I would always recommend HDDs over SSDs for data safety and backups, even though SSDs don't have any moving parts, for the sole reason that it is far easier to get your data off a failed HDD while it is nearly impossible to retrieve data from a failed SSD even for data recovery companies. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/