How would I achieve this effect

1 minute ago, Overkilled said:

snip

Be specific, which effect?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1 minute ago, ALwin said:

Be specific, which effect?

i think he just means the broll in general 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Do you mean the pans?

The effect is pretty simple and can be done in 2 ways that I know of:

The pan can be done with either a tripod which as a pan-capable head (it usually says pan/tilt head or the like, but for maximum smoothness you would want a tripod made for video) or a slider. I built a "ghetto" slider a while back for next to nothing and you can easily find tutorials for it online.

Attaching the phone can be done in a multitude of creative ways, but most properly you would buy a plate for mounting a camera (like the ones on tripods) and get a phone to tripod mount.

For vertical shots, you could raise or lower certain tripods smoothly, but if you don't have that, you could, as ALwin said, use high resolution images and have it pan over them in post. With a phone camera, the images can be shot as a vertical panorama or alternatively they can be stitched together in Photoshop (look up panoramas in photoshop) automatically and you would have much more resolution to work with than in camera pano or just taking the pictures.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Just now, Maybach123 said:

i think he just means the broll in general 

If you mean the camera movement as it pans in different directions of the setup, I can say that most of it can also be done with still images.  Take high resolution wider shots of the computer setup/components, etc. and pan/slide in post.  It's not like the computer or desk or anything else in the video are moving objects.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

If you mean the camera movement as it pans in different directions of the setup, I can say that most of it can also be done with still images.  Take high resolution wider shots of the computer setup/components, etc. and pan/slide in post.  It's not like the computer or desk or anything else in the video are moving objects.

ya but what i think he means is can he edit the video on his phone to make it look like that . Not sure but that was my interpretation. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

@Brandon lmao

Just now, Maybach123 said:

ya but what i think he means is can he edit the video on his phone to make it look like that . Not sure but that was my interpretation. 

Edit the video on a phone, will be much harder.  Because if he records the video on the phone, he has to record various clips otherwise the video will contain the camera transitioning between one position/angle to another (the in-between footage).  And whether he works with photos or videos, is there really a good video editing app for a phone that allows precise edits in a timeline that is similar to what can be done in a NLE like Premiere?

I thought he was using a slider which I don't have I can edit on my PC

16 minutes ago, Overkilled said:

I thought he was using a slider which I don't have I can edit on my PC

You don't really need to use a slider or motion assist tool.  The camera movement shots can be achieved just as well using high resolution still images of the setup.  Just put the images in a video timeline and do some panning and sliding in post.  Of course it won't show the fans spinning or perspective change with the movement of the camera's position.

While it is better to have a slider or dolly or even a gimbal so that you can record smooth camera movement in video, if you don't have access to these things then the still image way is the cheapest and easiest method to use.

Or buy something like this for your phone:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1188102-REG/feiyu_fy_g4p_3_axis_handheld_smartphone_gimbal.html

Look up: Ken Burns effect.

The pan, slide, zoom motion in my timelapse here are all Ken Burns.  I didn't take my slider or pan/tilt head. The camera was static with mostly a fisheye lens.

7 hours ago, ALwin said:

is there really a good video editing app for a phone that allows precise edits in a timeline that is similar to what can be done in a NLE like Premiere?

yeah loads, well at least on iOS, android might have some too depending on OPs phone

You can edit quite well on phones now

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii