Resident Evil: Resurrection Project - Build Log

Modzy

2014 Updates (May-?)

Many things have changed over the past year from the original build and parts list. But this small update to my build with fitting & new SLI loops with hard pipes, white back light to come. I also swapped my lowest overclocking GPU for a newer better overclocking ACX SC card. Now getting 1410Mhz core boost on new card with 1355Mhz on 2nd. The outside vinyls for the case is to come next as well as the front bezel!

IMG_3302_zps9ba1d225.jpg
resi_zps0be37554.png
IMG_3306_zpse1e8f6d1.jpg
IMG_3305_zps3f543293.jpg

2013 Build & Updates

Hey guys I have finally got my build to a point where I am happy to share the progress of this build. This build was inspired by my fandom for the resident evil series of books/games/movies etc and is therefore dubbed, Resident Evil: Resurrection Project.

I know normally build logs by definition should mean i post a full progress of my build, but because this has been such a slow & periodic build i figured I'd wait and show off the build in stages so it becomes more of a surprise to see the progress of it. That way all the little changes make up to a much more meaningful big change each time i post the updates.

My modding methodology.
The methodology I use when modding my PC's is very different to most of people. It's a bit more of a personal homage to the system. Modding to this extent doesn't take place until the last year I am considering keeping the system before I do another entire platform upgrade. 

Build theme & conception.
This builds theme is basically a sequel to my 2010 Resident Evil build (Core 2 Extreme QX6850/5770XXX), Which was completed for the launch of Resident Evil: Afterlife as well as an homage the the long life that that system had given me. A happy as I was with the final results of that mod/build, it sadly only lasted 3 months until a leak forced to me do my big upgrade much sooner than I was originally planning on doing it. The FrozenQ PC 150mm T-Virus Reservoir sadly sprung a leaked from poor build quality and dripped into my PSU killing my mobo/ram & 1 of the 5770's.

After that experience I was left feeling rather depressed that the months of modding and building I did for it went to waste. Especially since the build was completed during our local LANs off season and was only able to be shown off at one event before it met its final demise. Old build photos here & here.

So this time around I decided I wanted to not only pay a bit more of a tribute to the resident evil franchise, but also pay homage to both the old system and this system all in one by sticking with the Resident evil theme as well as try and repair the faulty Res I really came to love and feature it in this build.

Current Hardware & Goodies:
Intel 2500K - @4.6Ghz 24/7 & @4.8-5Ghz benchmarking.
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
16Gb GSkill Ripjaws X - 1333@1600 CAS8-9-9
RETIRED, 2-Way SLI EVGA GTX460 1GB - Stock @720/3600Mhz, @850/4200Mhz 24/7, @1106/4640Mhz benchmarking.
2-Way SLI EVGA GTX 760 SC EE 2GB - Stock & 24/7 @1072/1137Boost/6008Mhz, @1137/1333Boost/7344 benchmarking. Linky
Raid 0 2x250Gb Samsung EVO 840 SSD OS drive.
2x250Gb + 2x500Gb Seagate Barracuda storage.
2x500GB WD Green Storage.
Raid 0+1 4x3Tb WD Reds for network external storage.
ESI Prodigy X-Fi NRG Soundcard (Amazing 4 headphones & sexy white PCB) - Product Link
Corsair 600T Silver Edition.
XSPC RS240 Base water kit.
Primochill Advanced White 1/2" tubing
Phobya xtreme monsta 200mm Radiator (Front mounted)
XSPC RX 360mm Radiator (will be installed when both GPUs are water cooled).
Coolermaster 200mm Red LED fan
Corsair 200mm White LED fan
Enermax Cluster White & Red LED 120mm fans.
Modded Zalman Pheobus w/custom LEDs/bezel.
Bitfenix Silver Cable extension kit
OCZ 750Watt Fatal1ty Series PSU
EK Ekoolant Blood Red Premix 1000mL Coolant
Modded FrozenQ PC Red T-Virus Reservoir
Phobya Blood Red Flow gauge
Monsoon dark chrome 1/2" compression fittings + black Bitfenix angle fittings.

*Disclaimer:
Currently the builds progress to date is further along than what I am sharing today. What I am sharing is about 2 months old, prior to me getting the 2nd 760, sound card & SSD's as well as some water loop changes/additions. The build stage as it is today needs to be complete before I'm happy to share it.

The build Concept:
BASEBUILDDRAFT_zps22ddde23.png

Original CPU Led concept, this didn't work out as the white LEDs kept dying on me and pure red looked better in the end anyway. Left pic is 5 days after install, Right pic is brand new first time installed. (XSPC white 3mm LEDs)
whitedrop_zps41e4bf7f.jpg

Front intake fan grill acrylic bezel concept.
Front_panel_1_zps6bf576dc.png

Stage One: Base water kit & part fitting & case modding. (done over a 3 month period)

Modding roof for 360mm rad to fit.
3rdfanfittingtop_zpsba2e488a.png
3rdfanfittinggrill_zpsbe355559.png

Kit fitting
IMG_1376_zps0ce1fbb9.jpg

Flushing the kit.

IMG_1377_zps24ceaa10.jpg

200mm rad fitting
IMG_1448_MINI_zpsbeed6f8f.jpg
IMG_1447_MINI_zps235aa755.jpg

Stage Two: Full CPU loop installed and running, repositioning of HDDs, cable management & lighting.

UV lighting shot. Sadly the tubing isn't UV reactive.
SI852122s4_zps8d1525e3.jpg
SI852119s2_zps1498de3e.jpg
IMG_2140s_zps88c9ae21.jpg

IMG_2140s2_zps51ec1f43.jpg
IMG_2144s_zpscadad78e.jpg
SI852114_zps4b830d12.jpg

The final photo is a LAN snapshot i took right after completing the 2nd stage of the build. Note the custom painted pink NZXT case in the background. It was not owned by a female just saying.
IMG_1466_zpsccbaeb86.jpg

Stage 3: To Be Continued...

Awesome build! Like to see such creativity for a classic like Resident Evil!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Daaaaaaaaahmmm! Guurrrll! That look sooo sweet! 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

YAY! Following. I love the theme, love the movies ( or at least the first one :P )

<3 that case.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I love that you mixed white and red lights. Excellent

CPU: i5 2500k@4.2 MBO: Asrock P67 Extreme4 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1GB RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600 SSD: Samsung 840 Basic 250 HDD: Samsung F3 1TB + WD 2TB Green + WD MyBook 1TB external; ODD: LG BD/DVDRW; PSU: Corsair TX 650
Case: Fractal Define R3 Black Pearl; Mouse/Keyboard Logitech Performance MX + Wireless K800; Monitor: Dell U2311H 

Not a Guurrrll! xD haha

Hahahaha Daaaaahmmm Guuyy!! you see that does sounds weird :P

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Good to see some other RE fans. I am currently doing the dremal stage at the top of the case for the 360mm rad as well as installing a corsair link fan & led kit to pretty up the lighting even more. I'm really not a fan of huge bright single/duel other cathode lighting methods.

So using smaller LEDs that give off smaller accents to highlight areas seems a bit more modern and can look really good when you get the colour palette right. I'm also working on the Front Bezel at and i've hit a small road block and working out to design it so the mounting of it looks good.

• 4 weeks later...

Sooo I have been flat out in the very limited spare time i have had to finish off the exterior of the build. But It is not quiet ready yet, just finishing up the acrylic work on the front and window panel of the build getting it how I want it. I've had 4 redesigns so far getting it to look the way I want it. And It also turns out that both Universal water blocks I tested (EK/XSPC) were incompatible with my cards. The fitting/port location was blocked by PCB components meaning I couldn't get the 1/2" tubing & fitting installed at all. So I have decided that for now I am going to keep the stock blower air coolers the card came with. They do fit very well into the theme of the build, but sadly no watercooling at the moment.

I also had 1 of the 4 ram stick fail on me last month, which resulted in BSOD & App crashes. Even know they are covered under warranty, I decided to upgrade my kit the 16Gb GSkill 1333Mhz Cas 7 all black kit. Upto 2 very sexy Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver/red 2133Mhz CAS11 16Gb kits, totaling to 32Gb.

And as you can see, they will fit perfectly with the rest of the build. When they arrive and are installed like this next week.
safe_imagephp_zps9d21daae.jpg

But here is a pic of both GPUs & the Silver Bitfenix cables together.

IMG_2688_zps902f7626.jpg
GPU_cables_zpsf1ef653d.png

• 4 weeks later...

Small update. I finally bit the bullet and ordered some water blocks for my GPU's, I grabbed a pair of these Heatkiller GPU-X3 Core LC's. Also grabbed some new Phobya G-Silents 12 fans for my top rad. The Enermax red twister ones I had on the top 240 rad are really bad static pressure and even on high they did next to nothing. I have also got the ram in the system, as well as the new Phobya MaxGuide 6 Dualbay Fan/Pump VFD Controller which replaced my ancient Zalman controller i had.

The next major step now I'm about to do a rebuild for the GPU blocks. Is to cut out all of the cases stock fan grills as they serve only to add noise and an extra layer of metal getting in the way of air flow. I will photo document the entire process this time and chuck it up here once's it's all done.

How massive are those 180mm rads when you compare then to a 120x240. I just picked up my 180 dual... what a monster.

Love the inspiration, colour scheme follows the theme well.

Good job.

The build looks amazing! Good job! :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

How massive are those 180mm rads when you compare then to a 120x240. I just picked up my 180 dual... what a monster.

Love the inspiration, colour scheme follows the theme well.

Good job.

It's a 200mm phobya xteme. :P

Dat monitor :3

I can't bring main monitor to the lan event due to limitation and risk of damage or theft. i run a Asus 29" Ultra wide which is too big for desk space allocation and having a AU$600 monitor stolen or damaged at a lan event is not ideal. So I've kept this old 20" just for lans.

• 3 weeks later...

So my GPU blocks arrived today and i got straight to installing them. Sadly while doing the rebuild the T-Virus water res broke beyond repair which was depressing.

1_zpsae362187.png

I ended up switching to a parallel config as the Koolance connector was restricting the water flow a huge amount between the cards.

IMG_2787_zps45fa42a6.jpg

Temp are also very good, 25/26 idle 40-45 playing BF4.

temps_zpsfe0a0c85.png

Small update to day.

EVGA Pro SLI Bridge + 2 GTX 760 back plates.

System is almost complete. Only front bezel & exterior paint work to go, but that will be a new years project.

IMG_2811_zps0a82fca2.jpg

love the led layout!! the different colored sections look amazing man, good job!

Fuck wait for it...... YES

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

it actually looks cleaner without t virus res. if it was big one, it would be appealing, but i quite like it like that.

• 5 months later...

updated the original post with newer photo's from 2014. I have a new more minor things to do inside, plus finish off the outside and it'll be done (maybe haha)