Virtual KVM? For Windows 10 to Ubuntu Server

Go to solution Solved by mikat,
1 minute ago, DaAznKnight said:

VNC does not support Ubuntu's Unity interface IIRC. All the guides have you installing some shitty GUI that I just plain don't like.

i've recently looked into it, and there are some great guides on YT :)

but i haven't tried them since i don't need them since i recently installed VMware ESXi 6.0 on the server i was running ubuntu on :)

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a convenient way to control my home server from my desktop. I'm currently using TeamViewer, but it always asks for a password, even for LAN connections. I can't stop it from doing so. What I've been doing is therefore to use TeamViewer's account/contacts system with Easy Authentication to connect. However, this method defaults to using the Internet connection to control, and I don't like the security risks this poses (there's some important shit on this server).

Basically, I have the server connected to my monitor via VGA, but I don't have any extra keyboards/mice or space for them. As such, I want to be able to connect my desktop's keyboard/mouse to the Ubuntu box via LAN, and only LAN.

Is there a way to achieve this?

4 minutes ago, DaAznKnight said:

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out a convenient way to control my home server from my desktop. I'm currently using TeamViewer, but it always asks for a password, even for LAN connections. I can't stop it from doing so. What I've been doing is therefore to use TeamViewer's account/contacts system with Easy Authentication to connect. However, this method defaults to using the Internet connection to control, and I don't like the security risks this poses (there's some important shit on this server).

Basically, I have the server connected to my monitor via VGA, but I don't have any extra keyboards/mice or space for them. As such, I want to be able to connect my desktop's keyboard/mouse to the Ubuntu box via LAN, and only LAN.

Is there a way to achieve this?

VNC?

Just now, mikat said:

VNC?

VNC does not support Ubuntu's Unity interface IIRC. All the guides have you installing some shitty GUI that I just plain don't like.

1 minute ago, DaAznKnight said:

but i haven't tried them since i don't need them since i recently installed VMware ESXi 6.0 on the server i was running ubuntu on :)

Remote desktop apps are not as advanced for linux as for windows as most linux servers will be maintained via ssh and the command line. But in my experience the best remote desktop for linux is xrdp server which you can connect to via the windows remote desktop protocol (search for remote in the start menu if your on a windows machine or use remmina on a linux machine).

Otherwise i would recommend just ssh:ing into the server via putty and do the maintenance via command line. That way you don't have to have a DE running on your server either (less resources and more secure).

6 hours ago, mikat said:

So I gave it a shot by looking it up on YouTube.

This video worked perfectly.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Hamosch said:

Remote desktop apps are not as advanced for linux as for windows as most linux servers will be maintained via ssh and the command line. But in my experience the best remote desktop for linux is xrdp server which you can connect to via the windows remote desktop protocol (search for remote in the start menu if your on a windows machine or use remmina on a linux machine).

Otherwise i would recommend just ssh:ing into the server via putty and do the maintenance via command line. That way you don't have to have a DE running on your server either (less resources and more secure).

I figured that Linux remote desktop is not as advanced.

But there are some applications I use (like Deluge in thin client mode) that I simply can't be bothered to learn the CLI commands for. Hence my need for GUIs and Remote Desktop.

In either case, someone's suggestion above for VNC guides on YouTube worked out really well. Kinda laggy, but its performance is acceptable for the occasional checking of torrents.

2 hours ago, DaAznKnight said:

I figured that Linux remote desktop is not as advanced.

But there are some applications I use (like Deluge in thin client mode) that I simply can't be bothered to learn the CLI commands for. Hence my need for GUIs and Remote Desktop.

In either case, someone's suggestion above for VNC guides on YouTube worked out really well. Kinda laggy, but its performance is acceptable for the occasional checking of torrents.

Understandable, glad you found a solution