OSX upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Sousuke,

Updating OSX is as easy as going to the app store and searching for it. I find that though the 4 updates i've done to my 2008 Mac Pro that there is near to 0 performance impact by upgrading the OS and doing a fresh install.

Hi I'm thinking of upgrading to yosemite/el capitan, currently I'm on 10.9 (can't remeber the name of the cat). What I'm wondering about is, what is the best way to upgrade? just let Apple do their thing and upgrade (like the windows 10 upgrade)? Or back everything up to a seperate disk (I know I should do this anyway), then download the OS to a USB stick and then do a fresh install?

Updating OSX is as easy as going to the app store and searching for it. I find that though the 4 updates i've done to my 2008 Mac Pro that there is near to 0 performance impact by upgrading the OS and doing a fresh install.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

You dont need to back up your files to upgrade to the newest OS X. It has  heavy RAM usage though so if you only have 2 or 4 GB of RAM might want to upgrade that as well. Not sure of 10.9 has the same issue. Trying to help TS my friends MAC and ran into this issue. 

7 hours ago, Catastrophe114 said:

You dont need to back up your files to upgrade to the newest OS X. It has  heavy RAM usage though so if you only have 2 or 4 GB of RAM might want to upgrade that as well. Not sure of 10.9 has the same issue. Trying to help TS my friends MAC and ran into this issue. 

Nah I have 8 GB, so I will probably be fine

i would back up your files i did a osx upgrade and i went wrong and lost all my data better to be safe than sorry 

5 hours ago, chrispayne856 said:

i would back up your files i did a osx upgrade and i went wrong and lost all my data better to be safe than sorry 

I don't store a lot of stuff on it, mostly documents that get synced to the cloud with dropbox, other stuff is just... meh

5 hours ago, Jstone said:

I have upgraded my mac aand I think I like the new update. There is no more issues when it comes to wireless issues

I did the upgrade this morning and I'm actually liking this update even though I loved the glossy look I used to have.