MSI R9 390x vs Gigabyte Extreme Gtx 970 1440P

Go to solution Solved by Tech Deals,
2 minutes ago, JUBSTAR said:

I see thanks for the response but what I noticed was that a lot of the games these days require more than 4gb of vram and that kinda worries me. I am not like a pro gamer orr anything. I am just a casual gamer who plays when there are breaks. So R9 390x and the GTX 970 don't have much difference? What about Direct X12, I heard it runs better with AMD cards or is it just fake. 

What game are you thinking of that requires more than 4GB of VRAM?

The only game I can think of that I'm testing with is Grand Theft Auto V, and that is only at 4k with all the detail turned up, it pushes the 6GB limit of the GTX 980 TI in my main machine.  (but that is REALLY with everything at ultra, pull it back to high on most items, medium on a few and it drops back under 4GB easily enough)

Keep in mind, the vast majority of gamer cards have 2GB, game companies have to sell to a wide audience, so frankly everything will run at some setting on a 2GB card (abit not at 4k).

DirectX 12 may well make a difference, when games get around to supporting it.  Keep in mind that almost nothing does today and won't for awhile, since more people are on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, than on Windows 10, and you must have Windows 10 to use DirectX 12.  So until most gamers are using Windows 10, DX12 will not be required for anything, the game company would be cutting themselves off from everyone who hasn't upgraded yet.  DX12 might be optional for awhile at first, but each game has to support it specifically, it isn't automatic.

The R9 390x is slightly faster than the R9 390, which is slightly faster than the R9 390.  MAYBE it is 10% faster...  in some games...  a few might actually be slower, depends on who paid to get optimized drivers. :)

It really is a pointless upgrade, in my humble opinion, coming from the very nice GTX 970 that you have.

Hi

I currently own a Gigabyte Gtx 970 Extreme Gaming Edition and currently I own a 1080p monitor. However the monitor broke and I am planning to get a new monitor, a 1440p monitor. I researched and found out that Gtx 970 does not run so well with 1440p so I plan to replace it with the MSI R9 390x. However, I hear that AMD has poor driver software, heat, noise, and other issues. I currently have a Phanteks Evolv Atx so it  has good airflow. Will the R9 390x be louder than the Gtx 970? Currently it is really silent. Also is there a huge difference between 970 and R9 390X? I saw videos but a lot of them only have like few FPS difference. It will be nice to hear recommendations. 

The GTX 970 and the R9 390/R9 390x are more or less in the same performance class.

That isn't an upgrade, it is a side-grade.

Why do you think the GTX 970 doesn't run 1440p?  That is actually the card I recommend for most people to play at that resolution, abit with the understanding that a few games will require toning down the details from ultra to high, or even medium in one or two cases.

Bang for the buck, it is a great card.

The AMD R9 390 is a nice card as well, but it does run hot, pulling almost twice the power as the GTX 970 (275w vs 150w).  It is about 5% faster in some games, slightly slower in others.  You'd have to go to a Fury or GTX 980 to really get an upgrade, and neither make sense 6 months before the new cards come out.

4 minutes ago, Tech Deals said:

The GTX 970 and the R9 390/R9 390x are more or less in the same performance class.

That isn't an upgrade, it is a side-grade.

Why do you think the GTX 970 doesn't run 1440p?  That is actually the card I recommend for most people to play at that resolution, abit with the understanding that a few games will require toning down the details from ultra to high, or even medium in one or two cases.

Bang for the buck, it is a great card.

The AMD R9 390 is a nice card as well, but it does run hot, pulling almost twice the power as the GTX 970 (275w vs 150w).  It is about 5% faster in some games, slightly slower in others.  You'd have to go to a Fury or GTX 980 to really get an upgrade, and neither make sense 6 months before the new cards come out.

I see thanks for the response but what I noticed was that a lot of the games these days require more than 4gb of vram and that kinda worries me. I am not like a pro gamer orr anything. I am just a casual gamer who plays when there are breaks. So R9 390x and the GTX 970 don't have much difference? What about Direct X12, I heard it runs better with AMD cards or is it just fake. 

2 minutes ago, JUBSTAR said:

The only game I can think of that I'm testing with is Grand Theft Auto V, and that is only at 4k with all the detail turned up, it pushes the 6GB limit of the GTX 980 TI in my main machine.  (but that is REALLY with everything at ultra, pull it back to high on most items, medium on a few and it drops back under 4GB easily enough)

Keep in mind, the vast majority of gamer cards have 2GB, game companies have to sell to a wide audience, so frankly everything will run at some setting on a 2GB card (abit not at 4k).

DirectX 12 may well make a difference, when games get around to supporting it.  Keep in mind that almost nothing does today and won't for awhile, since more people are on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, than on Windows 10, and you must have Windows 10 to use DirectX 12.  So until most gamers are using Windows 10, DX12 will not be required for anything, the game company would be cutting themselves off from everyone who hasn't upgraded yet.  DX12 might be optional for awhile at first, but each game has to support it specifically, it isn't automatic.

The R9 390x is slightly faster than the R9 390, which is slightly faster than the R9 390.  MAYBE it is 10% faster...  in some games...  a few might actually be slower, depends on who paid to get optimized drivers. :)

It really is a pointless upgrade, in my humble opinion, coming from the very nice GTX 970 that you have.

2 minutes ago, Tech Deals said:

Thanks so much. I think i will stick with my graphics card.