Massdrop TH-X00 "Purpleheart"

SSL

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones

If you missed the original TH-X00 drop, you not only have another chance, but this time the TH-X00 is dropping with unique puprleheart wood earcups instead of the original mahogany. This is apparently the natural color of the wood and not a stain. Sound seems to be mostly unchanged as the wood is the only difference.

As has been repeated most places, these headphone sound damn good and are an excellent value. If you're in the market for a fun, semi-closed headphone, check these out for sure. This drop is again limited to 1000 units, so get in sooner rather than later.

Update: Drop increased to 2000 units. Some listening impressions and measurements report slightly cleaner/smoother sound from the denser wood (less ringing).

Those look absolutely beautiful. 

How far do prices typically drop when the required number of requests exceeded by this much? (almost quadrupled)

OMG those are the most beautiful headphones I have ever seen :o Took to long deciding if I wanted them when the original drop happened so I am definitely going to have to get some now!!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

My X00 still isn't in yet from the last drop lol, these do look nice though. Fostex mentions the density of the wood does have an affect on the sound, which interests me... But my X00 original order is still in -.- Sighhhhhhh, I do like the color of these.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

8 minutes ago, sobe said:

My X00 still isn't in yet from the last drop lol, these do look nice though. Fostex mentions the density of the wood does have an affect on the sound, which interests me... But my X00 original order is still in -.- Sighhhhhhh, I do like the color of these.

Allegedly they will be allowing those that participated in the original drop to switch to these, if they so desire.

1 minute ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

Allegedly they will be allowing those that participated in the original drop to switch to these, if they so desire.

Thanks for the heads up on that! I'm undecided because I have not had proper audition time with the X00 yet so am unsure if I will even like them, although I am sure I won't be disappointed.

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Just now, sobe said:

Thanks for the heads up on that! I'm undecided because I have not had proper audition time with the X00 yet so am unsure if I will even like them, although I am sure I won't be disappointed.

Yeah, I'm pretty torn myself, especially since they are claiming there will be sonic differences. The original mahogany version will also be going up again in May, so it makes the decision even more difficult.

1 hour ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

Thanks for the heads up. Are you considering getting them?

No, but they're clearly good value so they deserve the attention.

42 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

Yeah, I'm pretty torn myself, especially since they are claiming there will be sonic differences. The original mahogany version will also be going up again in May, so it makes the decision even more difficult.

There are measurements up on SBAF; they don't seem radically sonically different.

I think I might just jump on the next drop for the original pair. According to Will, they will ship immediately since they are leftover stock from the initial drop. Having to wait until August for the new pair, is a bummer.

Want one, but don't have 400$, and there are only like 100 left

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

5 minutes ago, spwath said:

Want one, but don't have 400$, and there are only like 100 left

The drop was increased to 2000.

1 minute ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

The drop was increased to 2000.

Oh. Well i still don't have 400$ :)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 hour ago, Pomfinator said:

Sell your kidneys, it's worth it.

But I need my kidneys to live!!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

16 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:
20 minutes ago, spwath said:

Oh. Well i still don't have 400$ :)

Sell your kidneys, it's worth it.

I've heard prostitution and trafficking can also be quite lucrative. O.o

That asshole Snobby McSnoberson got at my credit card again and joined the drop.  I'm sure he'll do a review or something but I'd rather just keep my $450.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I came across Will Bright's post about these whilst browsing Head-fi on Friday and must admit this particular model intrigued me. I have a couple of older model Fostex headphones, so this wouldn't be a hard sell.

I hope massdrop takes off in a massive way worldwide, because being in the UK these incredible deals get drop kicked by the department-of-you-can't-have-fun-things (aka. Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs) and you get taxes and levies out the rear. Obviously this is mostly selfish since I've missed out on some 'phones I'd probably have taken a punt on just because of the price (probably the K7XX and the original drop for the X00).

Although I recently treated myself to a new pair of Oppo PM-3s, so maybe that's just wishful thinking. 20% mandatory taxes here makes these kinds of purchases once-in-a-while for me.

Until then I'll just be jealous of you bastards and your good deals.