Help me understand how to setup an eGPU

So I purchased an ASUS ROG GL552VW - DH71 and added a Samsung 850 EVO m.2 ssd. I realize that the laptop isnt a top tier machine for gaming but it does what I need it to do at school and work. However, is it possible to setup an external GPU to be able to achieve 1080p 60fps ultra settings with this laptop? What components would I need and how do I check their compatibility. Is USB 3.1 type C a fast enough connection? My hope is to play modded games like Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 in my living room 60" Samsung J6200 LED TV. Just any general direction on where to begin would be appreciated. Thanks

As far as im aware it only works with thunderbolt or some proprietary conntector atm

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

7 minutes ago, l_zheng101 said:

Does your laptop have either thunderbolt of usb type c?

Yes. The laptop has USB 3.1 Type-C

8 hours ago, jtjallday said:

Yes. The laptop has USB 3.1 Type-C

Is it a thunderbolt 3 compatible port? USB 3.1 does not have the bandwidth to run an external GPU. If the port has thunderbolt 3 capabilities it would work.

3 hours ago, Squirrel724 said:

Is it a thunderbolt 3 compatible port? USB 3.1 does not have the bandwidth to run an external GPU. If the port has thunderbolt 3 capabilities it would work.

I have no idea how to determine that...

1 hour ago, jtjallday said:

I have no idea how to determine that...

From what I could see on Asus's website it's just a normal 3.1 type c so no external gpu for you.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

11 hours ago, Dackzy said:

From what I could see on Asus's website it's just a normal 3.1 type c so no external gpu for you.

Awww mannnnnnn. Oh well. I guess i'll just have to build a dedicated living room gaming PC. Thanks for your "input"...