Canon EOS 400D

Hello my friends! 

Friend of mine is selling Canon 400D with this lens EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS and memory card 4GB  for 190 Euro

Only the body without lens is 135Euro.

I wanted to buy DSLR for long time and i plan buying one soon, but just wanted to ask you guys is it good deal for me if i buy this camera? 

I want to take really good quality pictures that are not possible with modern phones such as iPhone 6S or Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I also want to make some good HD quality  smooth videos which is also not possible with phones.

My price is maximum 700Euro for DSLR, but since this camera looked cheap for me, maybe its good for what i want to do with it. I dont understand anything of DSLR cameras or lenses the only thing i want to do is to take some extremely good quality Videos and Pictures. 

I'am pure amateur.

Thanks in advance, best of luck! 

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

For photos, the 400D might be a good starter camera for a beginner to use and learn.  But for video, I don't think the 400D can record video.

You can start learning about cameras by reading the guides in my signature, there are many links to various resources.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

10 minutes ago, Redjo said:

SNIP

8 minutes ago, ALwin said:

I don't think the 400D can record video.

Correct the 400d cannot shoot video

Also the 400d is HORRIBLY out dated, its 10mp, max iso of 1600, horrible noise performance, very slow focusing with very few AF points, no video at all, no live view,,

It CAN have decent image quality, but a modern compact would probably out shoot it easily

I have my 400d body and kit lens away to a friend, as I didnt think it was worth asking money for

Avoid it 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thank you alot my friends! 

I will avoid buying this camera then. Can you recommend me good camera for 700Euro max ? :)

Maybe Nikon 7000 or Canon EOS 750D, i dont know really what to buy or if i need lenses tho. 

Big thank you again! 

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

10 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Avoid it

That would be a better thing to do.  The 400D is roughly 10 years old, while the first DSLR with video came out near the end of 2008 (Nikon D90).

You have about 700 Euros to spend, perhaps look at other entry level cameras from Canon, Nikon, Sony, or more advanced compact cameras.  There is nothing saying you need an interchangeable lens camera to be able to create good quality photos and video.

2 minutes ago, Redjo said:

Maybe Nikon 7000 or Canon EOS 750D, i dont know really what to buy or if i need lenses tho. 

Read the knowledge I provide in my guides.  People can recommend you any camera they have experience with, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the camera for you.  Get to understand a bit about cameras first, then look at what kind might suit you best.  I also recommend taking courses on photography and cinematography if you really want to immerse yourself in those fields.  The courses will provide you with the foundation knowledge that helps you figure out what you want in a camera.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer