What to do with extra pc

Hello All,

I'm lacking ideas on what to do with this spare pc it's got a new SSD,  I've already built a weather station running on linux jessie, a cloud server on some linux distro which also doubles as a backup machine for my whole home network however I'm lacking ideas on what to do with this second pc. I've been reading about an arcade machine running old NES & mega drive games but I already have a ton of that stuff on my original xbox hooked up to an old arcade machine. I've got another PC for my sim racing RIG.  however I'm really unsure hence this post.

Any ideas? What have you guys been doing with extra PC's laying around the shop?

Thankyou and regards!

end.

Just now, Fungal said:

Possibly ship to me? :D

hahah that's funny,  I'm in Australia though so shipping maybe expensive.

Ship to me? xD

Nah, depending on what era it's from do you have a server on your home network yet? If no, try setting up that extra PC as a server.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

Just now, AlphaGamer46 said:

Ship to me? xD

Nah, depending on what era it's from do you have a server on your home network yet? If no, try setting up that extra PC as a server.

It's only a couple of years old,  I was thinking of using it as a dedicated gaming server for a few mates but eh

Yes I do actually I have a rack downstairs with a server and a trendviruswall1200 attached to it also attached I've got a raspberry running a cloud thing so when I walk in my house all photos from that day are backed up.

I've asked around a few mates but they already have pc's I guess I could donate it!

thanks for the reply alpha!

3 minutes ago, endfm said:

It's only a couple of years old,  I was thinking of using it as a dedicated gaming server for a few mates but eh

Yes I do actually I have a rack downstairs with a server and a trendviruswall1200 attached to it also attached I've got a raspberry running a cloud thing so when I walk in my house all photos from that day are backed up.

I've asked around a few mates but they already have pc's I guess I could donate it!

thanks for the reply alpha!

All good :D

I guess that's the best thing to do then, donate it.

Do you have any family members that don't have a PC? Or want to get into stuff like networking etc.

Good luck with it, I hate owning computers that you don't know what to do with them.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

36 minutes ago, AlphaGamer46 said:

All good :D

I guess that's the best thing to do then, donate it.

Do you have any family members that don't have a PC? Or want to get into stuff like networking etc.

Good luck with it, I hate owning computers that you don't know what to do with them.

yeah bud,  good idea unless somebody can come up with an extra nice idea.  I've been thinking of using it to benefit the community in which I live in however apart from donating I'm really not to sure what.  I already create a service for locals to check weather.

ummm,  not really they already have computers really! maybe networking the question is already out there!

thank-you alpha! haah yeah as do i!

cheers

end.

this comment is def. not overused so might as well give it a go! 

you can ship it to me? :3

Or make it a HPTC, a server of some kind, use it to test cray shit?

Also, you can make a weather station from a PC???? I thought you would need some kind of dial outside or something.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

HTPC

Second gaming system for when guests come over

Folding machine

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Reuse parts, sell the rest and use that money for something you need urself.

i got an old 775 system here with a good mobo+2xram, xifi sound card+2*hd and 6750 processor. I emailed creative if it is any better then alc1150, if so i will reuse that+2xhd and sell the rest of it. The system would be best used with the 771/775 hack, so you can place a quadcore xeon $40,-- in it, then it runs just as fast as an i5 4460. Maybe i can get 50euro for it, which is 25% of a xeon1231 (i want that one).

Turn it into a Playstation 1.

Install PSX emulator.

PROFIT!

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

There are probably some Disabled Vets in your country who could use a Computer..

https://www.facebook.com/IAVAUST

Contact these guys  Here in the states its a tax deduction to donate to organizations that meet certain criteria.

3 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

HTPC

Folding machine

i had the same idea . great for when kid go over and they wanna play on your rig. ugh nooo your gonna use the guest rig which is just as good xD

Were you not on AustraliaNet   I'd suggest using it to stream with a capture card in it.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

7 hours ago, GeekJump said:
7 hours ago, GeekJump said:

Also, you can make a weather station from a PC???? I thought you would need some kind of dial outside or something.

oh yes you most defiantly need something on the roof to measure the weather :P however to calculate what's coming from the room to a website now that's another story,  that's what the raspberry is doing Velcro ed on the wall next to the fridge.

I was thinking that,  however I already have one,  however I'd love to get into recording tv shows I do have a DV8-TTV Stick (USB) which I've played with in the past but the software provided and software I've seen for tv on pc is the WORST I've ever seen.  If anyone has any recommendations for software that can tune and play TV on the pc that would be great.  I may have an idea lol

7 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

HTPC

Folding machine

I have played with folding in the past cool idea, fully support that kind of stuff but I power is one thing I've been looking at lately and just not feasible at this stage!

Cool idea for 2nd gaming pc,  there's at gtx960 so I could do that,  but who LANS these days the last lan I had was like 15 years ago.  I remember half life and that bunker map oh lord i remember mates yelling at me endstand (my old alias) he's hit the red button in the middle of the bunker,  MAYHEM insured. So much fun! Wish they made games like that still.

Thanks for the comment Dragon!

7 hours ago, diapersarefullofshit said:

Reuse parts, sell the rest and use that money for something you need urself.

i got an old 775 system here with a good mobo+2xram, xifi sound card+2*hd and 6750 processor. I emailed creative if it is any better then alc1150, if so i will reuse that+2xhd and sell the rest of it. The system would be best used with the 771/775 hack, so you can place a quadcore xeon $40,-- in it, then it runs just as fast as an i5 4460. Maybe i can get 50euro for it, which is 25% of a xeon1231 (i want that one).

haha yeah,  I could do that,  but urg selling computers in Australia is awful,  I'm selling two sticks of gaming ram atm basically one for free I just want to get rid of them.  I'm thinking who needs ram anymore!

yeah yeah I've heard about the 771/775 hack before,  good luck :)

4 hours ago, MADD0G281 said:

i had the same idea . great for when kid go over and they wanna play on your rig. ugh nooo your gonna use the guest rig which is just as good xD

haha yes,  also I could just could maybe buy another wheel base and pedals and use it as another simulator rig ie iracing or some other racing game!

5 hours ago, maulemall said:

There are probably some Disabled Vets in your country who could use a Computer..

https://www.facebook.com/IAVAUST

Contact these guys  Here in the states its a tax deduction to donate to organizations that meet certain criteria.

Great Idea I've just messaged them on facebook to see if anyone would like to make use of it especially if there's somebody close to Newcastle I could set it up for them! cool thanks for the input maulemall.

4 hours ago, Mushious said:

Were you not on AustraliaNet   I'd suggest using it to stream with a capture card in it.

Australian network? yes! see my reply to GeekJump,  if there's some tv software that's really good not the bogus

software I've played in the past.  I know VLC will source channels from a DV8-TTV stick,  I don't have room to put a TV capture card in my pc atm though so a usb stick will have to suffice.  However I can run this on my current pc however. Thanks for the reply Mushious

1 minute ago, endfm said:

Great Idea I've just messaged them on facebook to see if anyone would like to make use of it especially if there's somebody close to Newcastle I could set it up for them! cool thanks for the input maulemall.

A lot of people over here don't know how much we as a nation owe to our Australian brothers and sisters.

I had a very good friend Contact Malaria  and recuperate in Australia and after which he was sent back out on the USS Pope which was sunk and he ended up in a Jap PW camp... He told me how he would think about his times in your country.. He Loved you guys.. He Passed 3 years ago but he always spoke highly of the Aussies.

2 minutes ago, maulemall said:

A lot of people over here don't know how much we as a nation owe to our Australian brothers and sisters.

I had a very good friend Contact Malaria  and recuperate in Australia and after which he was sent back out on the USS Pope which was sunk and he ended up in a Jap PW camp... He told me how he would think about his times in your country.. He Loved you guys.. He Passed 3 years ago but he always spoke highly of the Aussies.

That's very nice of you to say,  oh that's awful,  I am sorry for your loss maulemall. It's always the good ones who pass isn't it.  I've often heard that from my overseas counter parts I would love to travel especially to USA one of these days I always tend to think I'd confuse the hell out of the Americans i speak quickly and Australian :P

7 minutes ago, cleb said:

Folding? 

I've thought about it,  I used to do it on a laptop many years ago running on 90% cpu / 24/7 but power is a little expensive here atm,  not as expensive as other parts of the world but still pricey. If I could hook up some generator

(neighbors haha) and leave the laptop running connected to that or a **** load of solar panels that would be an idea.