Now or wait??

ZeusXI

GTX 960 4GB now, or wait till Polaris/Pascal come out and see what comes out and/or prices go down?

Also I hear there is a GTX 960 TI coming out soon.

I say wait and get Polaris or Pascal.

Also I'm guessing 960 ti isn't coming since releasing it now so close to Polaris and Pascal would be stupid.

Anyways, r9 380>gtx 960. But I still say wait.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

GTX 960 4GB now, or wait till Polaris/Pascal come out and see what comes out and/or prices go down?

Also I hear there is a GTX 960 TI coming out soon.

Wait for Pascal and Polaris.

960Ti has been a "pipe dream" since the 960 came out, so no, it's probably not coming out. 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Wait.

And R9 380(x) is most likely better option over GTX 960 as long as you dont want to stick with NVIDIA exclusive features like PhysX which was in 10 games in the last 5 years.

Just now, DocSwag said:

I say wait and get Polaris or Pascal.

Also I'm guessing 960 ti isn't coming since releasing it now so close to Polaris and Pascal would be stupid.

Anyways, r9 380>gtx 960. But I still say wait.

Just now, TheGhzGuy said:

Wait for Pascal and Polaris.

960Ti has been a "pipe dream" since the 960 came out, so no, it's probably not coming out. 

Thank you both :) I shall keep running my GTX 750 TI and wait. It's been a good card to me and played my games on low/medium and sometimes high in some cases.

Just now, ZeusXI said:

Thank you both :) I shall keep running my GTX 750 TI and wait. It's been a good card to me and played my games on low/medium and sometimes high in some cases.

No problem! Happy gaming!

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, The_KIASER said:

Wait... Keep rocking that 750ti...

Why is that?

4 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Why is that?

A co-worker of mine is still running on his 560ti and said he's playing games like elite dangerous at medium settings and says it's a graphically demanding game (stroking his GPU/Ego chub the whole time, mind you). Anyways, just figured if you can get by for now and keep saving, you'll be able to buy a top tier next gen card or get one of the next gen cards and use some of the savings for a possible needed upgrade by then. I want a 980ti hybrid, but i'd rather enjoy my R9 390 for now, and keep saving for the next gen top tier hybrid gpu, as well as a 2k or 4k screen upgrade while i'm at it.

If your not already overclocking your gpu then you could take a look into doing that as well, to squeak out a bit more performance from your card until you upgrade

1 minute ago, The_KIASER said:

A co-worker of mine is still running on his 560ti and said he's playing games like elite dangerous at medium settings and says it's a graphically demanding game (stroking his GPU/Ego chub the whole time, mind you). Anyways, just figured if you can get by for now and keep saving, you'll be able to buy a top tier next gen card or get one of the next gen cards and use some of the savings for a possible needed upgrade by then. I want a 980ti hybrid, but i'd rather enjoy my R9 390 for now, and keep saving for the next gen top tier hybrid gpu, as well as a 2k or 4k screen upgrade while i'm at it.

I play Dying Light, Star Citizen, Ark, and a few other games like those. Im running Low on SC, Medium on dying light, and medium/high on Ark and its still not yet optimized. I've had the 750TI for about 3 years now. Love it. I was just wondering if an upgrade to the GTX 960, or wait for the new GPU line to come out and then see my options then. I have about 200$ saved up left right now for PC upgrade. I just went intel from AMD, and ive seen such a remarkable in game FPS difference as is. 

Cool, what was your build and what is it now after the upgrades?

If you had to upgrade now I'd probably advise saving a bit more and going with the 970 over a 960, only because it would last just that much longer before needing to be upgraded.

With your current standing in the GPU market though, I still think waiting would be best. If the upgrades you have made now make you happy, you will probably lose your damn mind if you wait for the next gen equivalent of the 970. I don't think the next gen 970 equiv. will be much more powerful than the 970, but I think the temps and power requirements are going to a very nice bump down.

I have to find were i heard it again but someone said they were watching the new Polaris gpu produce i think 4k gaming, while never having to activate the fans. I'll try and find that video though, and post it later. If that's true then that's a huge step in efficiency, and I really hope AMD sticks it to Nvidia. I really want to see them have to battle hard for 1st again, means better results for the consumers... 

12 hours ago, ZeusXI said:

Why is that?

12 hours ago, The_KIASER said:

Although it's almost never worth it to buy the best of the best (price to performance). Like right now the r9 390 is such a better investment than a 980 (ti) for example. Yes it's slightly fewer FPS but your dollar goes so much further seeing as it's like half the cost for almost as good performance

Wait because usually when they release new cards the price of current cards will go down. You don't want to be the guy that bought a card and then few weeks later the price drop.

Topics like this seem to pop up every 6 months.

And I swear the answers are usually the same.

1) Yea upgrade now bro... you'll always be waiting for something.

2) Wait... it will be worth it man....

Guy makes up his mind.

If you have a 960 - I believe getting Polaris/Pascal is worth it but only if you have a 960 or below.

The 970 and up.... wait another Gen.

Price cut won't be a whole lot, unless you get it on holiday season. Better off buying one now, and be able to play the games at best resolution possible.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero