Looking to upgrade monitor resolution, concerns about performance of gpus

Specs in signature. I'm planning on finally splurging on a monitor that will be able to push my system. But I'm starting to have concerns about the performance I would get. Currently I'm at 1920x1200 at 60hz and I notice fps drops into the mid 40s in AAA games. I'm not really sure why this is happening but both cards are lightly overclocked and msi afterburner shows up that they're being used. Turning down graphics like shadows and god rays usually fixes it but I'm surprised that I have to at all. Fallout 4 is the biggest game I'm playing right now and a single 970 averages 80fps on ultra, so why is my performance constantly dropping with 2? I do have a handful of mods but none of them would impact performance (at least I hope a new gun or a different hud wouldn't impact it)

EDIT: Tested individually about 8 months ago both worked almost identically then, tried turning off the light oc didn't notice any changes still getting some drops during combat or in dense areas. Possibly the sli bridge? I had issues with screen flickering about 6 months ago but taking it off and then just re-inserting it fixed it.

GPU - 2x GTX 970 g1 gaming (sli) CPU - I5 4690k 4.6Ghz Cooler - Kraken x61 PSU - Corsair ax760 RAM - 32gb Corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz Storage - 730 Series SSD 240gb Case - Phantek enthoo pro

Reason for random fps spikes could be either one slightly defective card or SLI problem.

We all know that SLI brings tons of problems with it. Once of them could be that random fps drop.

Did you try to test each card individually to play game and try to find those spikes?

If you get it on either card, you will know what's the problem.

Also try to use stock GPU speed for testing. You might have 2 same GPUs, but not both of them can handle same OC settings.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

Reason for random fps spikes could be either one slightly defective card or SLI problem.

We all know that SLI brings tons of problems with it. Once of them could be that random fps drop.

Did you try to test each card individually to play game and try to find those spikes?

If you get it on either card, you will know what's the problem.

Also try to use stock GPU speed for testing. You might have 2 same GPUs, but not both of them can handle same OC settings.

Individually tested them when I got them in mgsv, they performed almost identically then, the oc is like +15 or something crazy small just because I don't really have a reason to push them right now. It could be the sli bridge though I didn't think of that, I had some issues with it a while ago but it's been fine since then.

GPU - 2x GTX 970 g1 gaming (sli) CPU - I5 4690k 4.6Ghz Cooler - Kraken x61 PSU - Corsair ax760 RAM - 32gb Corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz Storage - 730 Series SSD 240gb Case - Phantek enthoo pro

3 minutes ago, King Oriax said:

Individually tested them when I got them in mgsv, they performed almost identically then, the oc is like +15 or something crazy small just because I don't really have a reason to push them right now. It could be the sli bridge though I didn't think of that, I had some issues with it a while ago but it's been fine since then.

VRAM is not full right? No h8, just asking. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

It's best to test all possible combinations.

First would be, to turn off OC and try running at stock. 

Next would be disabling SLI and try to use each card individually.

Also if you can, try to use other SLI bridge.

When you have problem like that, you need to test all possible scenarios that you can and see when you still have that problem :) 

That's how resolving problems looks like with that kind of things xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

VRAM is not full right? No h8, just asking. 

GPU 1 using 2.5~2.7g gpu 2 is using 200mhz

16 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

We all know that SLI brings tons of problems with it.

Haven't had any problems since I got my two 980s.
NVidia releases new patches for each new game, which makes it almost impossible to get problems with SLI.

Fallout4 doesn't have SLI support, so obviously you won't increase your FPS by enabling SLI.

Edited by Senzelian

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

NVidia released new patches for each new game, which makes it almost impossible to get problems with SLI.

Fallout4 doesn't have SLI support, so obviously you won't increase your FPS by enabling SLI.

Good to hear that they fixed it :)

Maybe he didn't grap latest drivers and updates?

Still could be defective SLI bridge or something.

Could be defective PCI-E lane for GPU.

Tons of other possibilities that need to be tested before we can determine what's causing his problems.

WD My Cloud 4TB

5 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Wait it doesn't? I could have sworn I saw something about it being implemented in December

5 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Good to hear that they fixed it :)

Maybe he didn't grap latest drivers and updates?

Still could be defective SLI bridge or something.

Could be defective PCI-E lane for GPU.

Tons of other possibilities that need to be tested before we can determine what's causing his problems.

Yeah, that's true.
But it's hard to test all of these things. 

1 minute ago, King Oriax said:

Wait it doesn't? I could have sworn I saw something about it being implemented in December

I didn't know they implemented it. Then it might be the right time to install it again :P
But I couldn't find any news about it on Google.

3 hours ago, Senzelian said:

NVidia releases new patches for each new game, which makes it almost impossible to get problems with SLI.

Nvidia does a pretty good job, but it ain't perfect.  Often when they release a game ready driver they disable SLI entirely but say "Added profile for X game for SLI configs" or something vaguely misleading.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

4 hours ago, sgloux3470 said:

Nvidia does a pretty good job, but it ain't perfect.  Often when they release a game ready driver they disable SLI entirely but say "Added profile for X game for SLI configs" or something vaguely misleading.  

They disable SLI because the driver gets uninstalled and reinstalled. Without a driver SLI obviously doesn't work and it doesn't enable itself automatically without your permission.

On the other side of the topic, I would still go with 1440p :)