Google Knows the Wi-Fi Passwords of All Android Users

themodernagenb

http://www.slashgear.com/androids-backup-feature-means-google-knows-most-of-the-worlds-wifi-passwords-13297797/

"If legally compelled to, it is entirely possible that Google could be strong-armed into providing the wireless passwords it has stored for a specific Google user, allowing law enforcement or government entities to access a network, no hacking or erstwhile means necessary."

How does everyone here feel about this claim?

but to access the network they would have to be outside my house.....

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Remember, US & UK just hack thru the router.

Has already been posted in this thread: Andrones (I also recommend everyone to read my replies in that thread).

This has been known for years so it's not really news.

all these things are really turning me off moving to android and google as a whole imagine if google does become something so huge like one isp for the world etc we are all locked in and stuck no choice privacy is going out the window fast and its really scary giving me to much anxiety all this type of stuff like this and the nsa.

I just ban everyone from my network & put an exception list with the MAC addresses of the devices I want connected.

It is ridiculously easy to spoof mac addressees. Source: did that once to bypass mac-address filters.

For those concerned:

One can find out what precisely is being backed up by digging into the Users Guide Google makes available, but such information is located in dozens — in some cases, hundreds — of pages, and not easily found.

One can shut this feature off, but doing so will also cause the handset to stop storing other information, such as bookmarks, which one may find unfortunate.

Under Settings =>> Privacy

IMG_1091.JPG  IMG_1092.JPG

Convenience vs privacy.  I turned mine off since it I don't need it.

My Rigs (past and present)

I just ban everyone from my network & put an exception list with the MAC addresses of the devices I want connected.

I should do that. I know my uncle does that but I have yet to set my internet up that way.

MAC address filters close the door, wpa locks it. Even if you white list by MAC addresses, its one of the easiest things to get around. I just have to ping the IP then arp -a. Now Im in your whitlisted network .

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green