LGA771 to 775 mod worth it?

Go to solution Solved by PooPipeBoy,
On 3/22/2016 at 11:22 AM, Fatelinha said:

Care to share your experience and improvements when finished?

Alrighty, well the X5460 finally turned up in the mail, it's installed and running good so now I can finally see how it performs in the real world.

In a nutshell, my verdict is.....it's not a huge difference like I expected, but I'd still buy it again.

So there's a few things I want to mention:

• In most games I still got basically the same graphics performance, except Minecraft where my average FPS went up by 25%.
  • It's no surprise with a TDP of 120W, but the Xeon runs quite hot, I was seeing temps in the high 60's when gaming at stock settings (and I have a basic aftermarket CPU cooler).

Since I was upgrading from a dual-core, I was expecting a bigger difference.

Considering that you already have a Core 2 Quad, you probably won't see much improvement by going to a Xeon, unless we're talkin' GTA5 or something.

Still an awesome CPU for the price, but as for gaming, any quad core is perfectly fine.

Hi guys!

I'm currently running a Q9400 but it isn't able to keep up with my R9 270. Many people reccomended me to buy a Xeon X5460 CPU. I've done some reasearch and I don't think the performance gain will be enough to spend 30€ + the risk of doing the mod. However I keep coming across people who have done the mod and think that it is worth it.

Anyone has an opinion on this?

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

19 minutes ago, Fatelinha said:

Hi guys!

I'm currently running a Q9400 but it isn't able to keep up with my R9 270. Many people reccomended me to buy a Xeon X5460 CPU. I've done some reasearch and I don't think the performance gain will be enough to spend 30€ + the risk of doing the mod. However I keep coming across people who have done the mod and think that it is worth it.

yes it if if you sell the Q9400 you can upgarde pc and make profit

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

5 hours ago, Fatelinha said:

Hi guys!

I'm doing the exact same thing you're talking about: R9 270X in my case though, and I'm upgrading to an X5460.

I've already done the 771-to-775 socket mod no problems, it's actually pretty easy as long as you're damn careful when working around the motherboard socket pins.

I'm just waiting on the Xeon to arrive in the mail.

3 hours ago, PooPipeBoy said:

I'm doing the exact same thing you're talking about: R9 270X in my case though, and I'm upgrading to an X5460.

I've already done the 771-to-775 socket mod no problems, it's actually pretty easy as long as you're damn careful when working around the motherboard socket pins.

I'm just waiting on the Xeon to arrive in the mail.

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

43 minutes ago, Fatelinha said:

Not a problem, I'd imagine the X5460 will turn up in the next week or so, at the moment I'm just prepping to install it.

I've got a thread going for benchmark results with my Core 2 Duo system in gaming performance, and I'll be adding test results for the Xeon when it's installed:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/569095-test-cpu-bottlenecking-in-a-gaming-system/

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2016 at 11:22 AM, Fatelinha said:

Alrighty, well the X5460 finally turned up in the mail, it's installed and running good so now I can finally see how it performs in the real world.

In a nutshell, my verdict is.....it's not a huge difference like I expected, but I'd still buy it again.

• In most games I still got basically the same graphics performance, except Minecraft where my average FPS went up by 25%.
  • It's no surprise with a TDP of 120W, but the Xeon runs quite hot, I was seeing temps in the high 60's when gaming at stock settings (and I have a basic aftermarket CPU cooler).

Considering that you already have a Core 2 Quad, you probably won't see much improvement by going to a Xeon, unless we're talkin' GTA5 or something.

Still an awesome CPU for the price, but as for gaming, any quad core is perfectly fine.

1 hour ago, PooPipeBoy said:

Thanks a LOT man :D