A sleeves up approach to eGPU w/ case

I really wish i knew what was limiting the frame rate, i have to get that dialed up for the oculus. :/

Now im having the same issues i had with the gtx on win10 with the tesla on 7 here :/ not pleasant, im gonna look arount the net for troubleshooting on the matter tomorrow, as its pretty late now, and i need bit of sleep ?

20160409_184600.jpg

So ive determined the problem is that the card actually needs two power inputs ? and that darned power supply isnt compatable with anything, still on the old power supply, still having trouble, as soon as i find a decent power supply or perhaps some adapters, ill be able to continue on the tesla.

I'm waiting on the minipcie, to pciex1 adapter right now.

Once i get the power supply and the ares next month, i'll be able to run the tesla at full efficiency.

I'm going to work on the housing in the meantime, just to get the GTX in place, as that much is working well, and the Tesla is really just for overkill, still i might need that horsepower when i get my Oculus, and i will be planning it into my build, and overall i'm getting alot closer to the goal. i'll post some more as soon as i get on the box tomorrow.

i'm really liking this and i might make a career of it if possible ^=^ 

More progress here, the box is coming along well, ill do some more work on it tomorrow, but i got the internal environment installed as far as the lights and carpet now ?

20160413_234609.jpg

Also i decided to go with a custom painted mesh for a cooler look and better airflow ^=^

Another bit, there's a molex to 8 pin daisy chain adapter I can get rather than a new power supply, totally legit, I have to wait a while on it though.

cut the grill to size, and added the mesh, i've got alot of body work to do before i attach the grill, and etc, but it's moving along nicely ^=^

CgI5.jpg

just got this bad boy in, thats the pcie for tesla for now, i still gotta get this molex to 8pin adapter for tests, but cablemod has a picture perfect supply for this build, so ill get that, and the proper aries card when its all finalized over the next month. 

20160416_180912.jpg

still waiting on some connectors, and I really need to cut those tubes tomorrow too

• 2 weeks later...

How is it going with your project?

• 2 weeks later...

welp i was on a bit of a differnet focus for a bit, haven't finished the box but i'm closer, m2090 was a fail, even with adequate power, i couldn't get it to run over the mini pcie no matter what i tried, likely because of the x1 adapter, but i don't want to spend 100 buck this pay cycle to try the ares, so i put it in the tower, and i'll get tests there later as well, the 960 is going in as soon as the box is sanded, painted and the fixtures i made are permanantly attached, as far as function the 960 is perfect with win7 on the t410 thinkpad, and that's about all i can say about it so far, i'm gonna post pics once all is installed and well, it's gonna be sweet B)

• 2 months later...

The project is good as done i opted to cease work on the box, and use it as is, i might mod it more later if i get bored, but the m2090 was a nogo, sad to say, i have no idea what went wrong, and couldn't find any answers, however the 960 has been more than sufficient, setup as it sits> 

20160627_235607_HDR[1].jpg

• 2 months later...

i recently ran an hd cable to the living room tv, now i can drag my taskbar to the living room and game from there as well ^=^gonna add another for the screen in my room, which i actually need a longer cable as it has to run the perimeter of the room and the living room tv is just behind it lol ^o^

• 3 weeks later...

I write a bunch of things but they got deleted idk why... the point was that this was a great step by step kind of guide and i thanked you since there is not a lot of info about this adapter out there. Too bad the tesla didnt work out, but at least u got the 960 working.

I have a question tho, do you need an extra software to make it all work?? i read somewhere that you needed a software tool so the pc would even recognize the external card, did you have any problems regarding this? I think the software name is 'diy egpu setup'.

Thanks in advance and keep updating this when you have the chance !! I wanna see how this ends.

• 1 year later...
On 10/27/2016 at 12:53 PM, aguaciel said:

I write a bunch of things but they got deleted idk why... the point was that this was a great step by step kind of guide and i thanked you since there is not a lot of info about this adapter out there. Too bad the tesla didnt work out, but at least u got the 960 working.

I have a question tho, do you need an extra software to make it all work?? i read somewhere that you needed a software tool so the pc would even recognize the external card, did you have any problems regarding this? I think the software name is 'diy egpu setup'.

Thanks in advance and keep updating this when you have the chance !! I wanna see how this ends.

I didn't need any extra software, Expresscard is a direct route to the south-bridge, gives you all the benefits of PCIE, i think it's  2.5 Gbit/s over X1 if i'm not mistaken, so windows should automatically switch to it, although you may need to go to device manager and shut off your internal GPU in some cases, but the thinkpad t410 with win7 has a compatibility mode that divides tasks over both internal and external gpus as needed.  

On 10/20/2016 at 9:54 PM, MajorAwesomeness said:

Would you recommend doing this to an Intel Celeron laptop?

you sure can in most cases with the proper connectors, and you will see an increase in power, but a PC is like a chain,and it's only as strong as it's weakest link, so with a single core celeron, don't expect miracles, but you will see a graphics boost, especially directly from the card's outputs. I can only assure that for the Expresscard version though,

• 1 month later...