Real Computer vs Virtual Machine Performance Showdown

Amazon: 
NCIX: 

We all know that running a virtual machine on your hardware has the potential to add some overhead to performance tasks... But can we quantify that overhead?

Noice. Watched this 5 days ago cuz im on vessel.

My native language is C++

1 minute ago, Kyle Manning said:

Noice. Watched this 5 days ago cuz im on vessel.

Same.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

14 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

Same.

Same.

@LinusTech

as a guy who have use Win Server 2012 Hyper V

do you think the Windows 10 Hyper V will perform the same

@nicklmg

the pun for the floppy made my day

Dont copy that floppy! xD

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Ooh! Ooh! Do a video on Qubes OS! It's an OS where services are compartmentalized in virtual machines for security.

So, people would probably be using VMWare Player (Download) or Hyper-V (Windows 8/10). unRaid sounds very robust and refined, but I was hoping to see performance comparison to the alternatives as well.

Really interesting video, it would perhaps be useful to compare some CPU intensive games on both the 'bare-metal' system and VM in the future.

Also, "Don't copy that floppy", that was funny. Who's been watching Computer Chronicles? ;)

holy shit balls batman, look at that performance hit.

I watched this with my morning coffee. After seeing it my first thought was, what was this video about? Linus was talking about virtualization and such, but I have no idea what this was about.

Maybe I'll watch it again later.

Do not feed.

I remember using the first versions of VMWare, and emulation was certainly how they worked. It worked well, but it was slow. Mind you I was also trying to do that on a K6-2, so not really anything all that powerful. But it had me interested.

Today virtualization is part of the normal workflow for application development. If you're a software engineer and not taking advantage of the virtualization suites available, you're holding yourself back. VMWare Player is free, VirtualBox is free, you can run Windows 8.1 and 10 in evaluation mode without a software key for a limited time, same with Windows Server 2008 and 2012 if you need to run those, so just do it. There are numerous benefits to running virtual machines for development, with snapshots being the best feature, in my opinion.

With bare metal hypervisors that allow for consolidating numerous systems onto one machine, the benefit is more of isolation than performance. The fact that you can have machines running side-by-side with their own dedicated segment of the available resources without having to compete with each other. I have VMWare ESXi running on a dual-Xeon system at home. Currently I have three VMs running on it: one that runs just MySQL on Linux, one running Windows 10 to rip Blu-Rays and DVDs, and the other running Windows 10 to convert videos. None of the systems are competing with each other, though they do compete for the network access. Eventually it'll have one or two gaming servers to replace the ripping and converting VMs.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

I would just like to point out that Network Cards are not virtualized like you described. The hardware is not shared like it is with CPU. The CPU is shared, as in each VM is scheduled to use x number of cycles on the CPU. The NIC has no such scheduling or sharing.

The Hypervisor makes virtual bridge (usually vbr0), which all the VMs are connect to. This is in turn connected to the physical NIC. Logically, there is a switch that all the VMs are connected to, which in turn sends the traffic out the NIC. The VMs do not have access to the physical NIC.

This is a good example of the Logical layout.