Shadowplay or Dedicated Capture?

Looniper

For those who use them,.. at what point did the graphics load make the use of the device worthwhile?

I would love to see Linus do a video on their use and when they are / are not really necessary or valuable..
I've had to record production samples in the past, 1080/locked 55fps/phased pallets.. and on the GTX 950 machine there was an obvious(expected) twitch when it begins, but then it runs as usual, but at about 2fps below the usual for most things.

I know this is a difficult subject because there are too many variables to simply say "when you reach 1920xXXXX/60fps you need a capture device,"  but I'm hopeful that others' experiences and use can help me determine if it would be worth it to get one.

After the new rig, I'm hesitant to put out more money on hardware for a while.. and if I get one I'm going to want one that definitely makes it worth having so I would be going high end.. so unless it is something I would see real results from I will probably stick with Shadowplay.

If you're fine with the quality that Shadowplay is providing and the performance that you're getting while using it, I see no reason to get a capture card.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch