Best GPU setup for $425?

I would like to buy a GPU or maybe multiple GPUs but I have a budget of $425 USD. I would like to buy used, but I don't know what to look for, so I ask, what is the best GPU setup I can get used for $425. I say GPU setup because I think maybe having 2 used cards in SLI could get be better performance than if I wanted to try and get 1 card for cheap.

r9 390x, gtx 980, r9 390 in that order would be your best cards if you can afford it. You usually don't want to go for crossfire/sli if you can help it, and later you can always add another of whatever you bought if you still want more performance.

5 minutes ago, Necrodead said:

r9 390x, gtx 980, r9 390 in that order would be your best cards if you can afford it. You usually don't want to go for crossfire/sli if you can help it, and later you can always add another of whatever you bought if you still want more performance.

I am buying used, but all those cards are $400 new.

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

A single R9 Nano.

Where do I get that for $425??

You can get a used R9 290X or R9 290 for around 300-450 CAD. Just look up on eBay and Kijiji.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

You can get a used R9 290X or R9 290 for around 300-450 CAD. Just look up on eBay and Kijiji.

I don't want to spend less than $425 just for good value - I just want the best possible performance.

1 minute ago, ChickenNugget said:

Where do I get that for $425??

Fuck I though it was USD because I don't read :c

I'd say either 390(X) or 970(980) depending on what you can squeeze into your budget.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Fuck I though it was USD because I don't read :c

I'd say either 390(X) or 970(980) depending on what you can squeeze into your budget.

I was USD... All I can find on eBay is $500+ and Craigslist has nothing.

I don't want to spend less than $425 just for good value - I just want the best possible performance.

Well, I'm not sure about the current market price of a used R9 290X, but I'm guessing it would fall right around $425 USD, if not less. The 290X is the best single GPU you can possibly get right now in the second hand market. I don't think you'll get any used 300 series GPUs or GTX 900 series GPUs within $425USD.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Just now, Shahnewaz said:

Well, I'm not sure about the current market price of a used R9 290X, but I'm guessing it would fall right around $425 USD, if not less. The 290X is the best single GPU you can possibly get right now in the second hand market. I don't think you'll get any used 300 series GPUs or GTX 900 series GPUs within $425USD.

I found some $400 reference 980s, and a $250 R9 390 before, but I wanna see if I can get even more power for my money.

The GTX 970 is probably you're best bet if you're gaming at 1080p. The R390X is about 400 bucks, but the 970 actually performs better at 1080p in some games, but the R390X pulls ahead as you go up to 1440p and beyond. The 980 is not a good value, its only marginally better than the 970 in some games. Unless you can get the 980 for under 400, go with the 970.

Or if you can wait, wait for the new pascal cards. Or buy the 970 now, save some of that cash, and when the pascal cards drop, sell your 970 and upgrade to one of the new cards.

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
GPU: MSI 980Ti Twin Frozr C/M:1470/7500
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5Ghz
Case: Corsair 750D
Keyboard: Corsair K65 Cherry Red
Mouse: Logitech G70 Spectrum
Headset: Corsair Void

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666mhz

@Necrodead @TheRandomness @Shahnewaz @evilsliwa If I can score a used 980 for like 300 through the use of partial trades, should I do it and save the rest until I can get a second card, or should I wait a little more and get a better performance, worse value 980 Ti?

8 minutes ago, evilsliwa said:

The GTX 970 is probably you're best bet if you're gaming at 1080p. The R390X is about 400 bucks, but the 970 actually performs better at 1080p in some games, but the R390X pulls ahead as you go up to 1440p and beyond. The 980 is not a good value, its only marginally better than the 970 in some games. Unless you can get the 980 for under 400, go with the 970.

Or if you can wait, wait for the new pascal cards. Or buy the 970 now, save some of that cash, and when the pascal cards drop, sell your 970 and upgrade to one of the new cards.

I can't exactly wait as I am moving to Europe over the summer and prices will be terrible there, so I am trying to make my system future proof for a while so I don't have to overpay for PC parts in the next 4 or 5 years. I'm hoping the GTX 980 will last as long as the 480 did, and be able to play decent games for like 5 years before becoming obsolete and unable to play games.

Just now, ChickenNugget said:

@Necrodead @TheRandomness @Shahnewaz @evilsliwa If I can score a used 980 for like 300 through the use of partial trades, should I do it and save the rest until I can get a second card, or should I wait a little more and get a better performance, worse value 980 Ti?

Get the highest end GPU you can for your money.

A single 980Ti or a Fury X would be a better choice than any dual GPU setup for a number of reasons.

Mind if I ask you what processor are you running?

Just now, Shahnewaz said:

Get the highest end GPU you can for your money.

A single 980Ti or a Fury X would be a better choice than any dual GPU setup for a number of reasons.

Mind if I ask you what processor are you running?

5930K @ 4.5Ghz. My GPU is the one thing I still don't have. I tried using a 960 for a little but just sold it.

5930K @ 4.5Ghz. My GPU is the one thing I still don't have. I tried using a 960 for a little but just sold it.

Thank goodness you sold it.

I'd say get the highest end GPU you possibly can for $425 USD.

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

Thank goodness you sold it.

I'd say get the highest end GPU you possibly can for $425 USD.

Maybe I should sell some more stuff for a 980 Ti. Do you know if a Z170-A motherboard with bent pins in worth anything?

3 minutes ago, ChickenNugget said:

Maybe I should sell some more stuff for a 980 Ti. Do you know if a Z170-A motherboard with bent pins in worth anything?

Yes, it's worth at form a 3rd to a 5th of its price. Put it up on sale.

I'd say go for either the Fury X or the R9 295X2. Both are better in DX12/Vulkan and you get a free liquid cooling.

Edited by Shahnewaz

Wait a second I should just RMA it @Shahnewaz

Wait a second I should just RMA it @Shahnewaz

If you want to use it, then RMA it. I thought it was a left-over part you no longer needed.

Two used aftermarket 290Xs. Or two used 290s, one 290X and one 290, whatever fits your cost and whatever you can find. That'll obviously be the best, you'll get 980 Ti/Fury X performance for around $400 (two 290s will easily run you only $400).

17 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

If you want to use it, then RMA it. I thought it was a left-over part you no longer needed.

I don't want to use it but it will be worth more right?