Upgrading my PC

Cyphax

Hello, 

So my current pc can handle most games to an extent but can't run the more demanding games so I am looking to upgrade my pc my budget is 460 EUR (518 USD) 

My current build is:

CPU:  AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

GPU:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H

RAM:  16 GB

The rest doesn't really matter (i guess)

So what i want to know is what can I upgrade to be able to play the more demanding games.

Thank you in advance

A new CPU something like i5 and new motherboard and SSD. 

Magical Pineapples

3 minutes ago, Cyphax said:

Hello, 

So my current pc can handle most games to an extent but can't run the more demanding games so I am looking to upgrade my pc my budget is 460 EUR (518 USD) 

My current build is:

CPU:  AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

GPU:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H

RAM:  16 GB

The rest doesn't really matter (i guess)

So what i want to know is what can I upgrade to be able to play the more demanding games.

Thank you in advance

i5 4690k/i7 4790k and z97 mobo since you already have DDR3

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

19 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

Why would you pair a Z97 overclocking motherboard with a locked CPU? Also, last I checked, the United States doesn't use euros as their currency. OP obviously doesn't live in the U.S.

28 minutes ago, Cyphax said:

my budget is 460 EUR (518 USD) 

Where do you live? Prices and availability vary by region.

Just now, Aereldor said:

Where do you live? Prices and availability vary by region.

I live in the Netherlands

4 minutes ago, Cyphax said:

I live in the Netherlands

What works out better for you? Shipping from Germany or from the UK?

10 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Why would you pair a Z97 overclocking motherboard with a locked CPU? Also, last I checked, the United States doesn't use euros as their currency. OP obviously doesn't live in the U.S.

Becuase Linus said I could. 

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

1 minute ago, FuriousGamer said:

Becuase Linus said I could. 

If you're referring to the Pentium G3258 budget build, a few pointers-

• He was using an unlocked CPU, and intended to overclock it.
  • He had upgradability in mind, and went with the Pentium G3258 as a placeholder CPU for an upgrade to something like an i7 4790k in the future, as the G3258 was the cheapest Haswell CPU that could game.
  • Linus makes mistakes, like he did by not recommending the MSI H81M-P33 instead- the wildly popular board for overclocking the aforementioned Pentium G3258 that costs only $45- About a third of what the Z97-C he used will set you back.

Also, He still didn't blow $140 on a motherboard with a budget of $510.

9 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

What works out better for you? Shipping from Germany or from the UK?

I think Germany would be better 

I would wait until the next generation of stuff (intel processors and pascal) come out, because there is an off chance that the gtx1070 will be on par with the 980ti, or the next i3 may be as good as a current i5... Patience, here, is key - I too am looking to upgrade and am waiting for pascal release.

Just now, Cyphax said:

I think Germany would be better 

Alright, let me get right on it. Just out of curiosity, is there a certain merchant site you prefer to buy from? Buying your parts from different sites might save you a little money, but it also splits them into different shipments.

6 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

If you're referring to the Pentium G3258 budget build, a few pointers-

• He was using an unlocked CPU, and intended to overclock it.
  • He had upgradability in mind, and went with the Pentium G3258 as a placeholder CPU for an upgrade to something like an i7 4790k in the future, as the G3258 was the cheapest Haswell CPU that could game.
  • Linus makes mistakes, like he did by not recommending the MSI H81M-P33 instead- the wildly popular board for overclocking the aforementioned Pentium G3258 that costs only $45- About a third of what the Z97-C he used will set you back.

Also, He still didn't blow $140 on a motherboard with a budget of $510.

No not that there was a video he made about overclocking motherboards but I cant seem to find it. 

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Alright, let me get right on it. Just out of curiosity, is there a certain merchant site you prefer to buy from? Buying your parts from different sites might save you a little money, but it also splits them into different shipments.

No i don't really mind buying from different sites

Just now, FuriousGamer said:

No not that there was a video he made about overclocking motherboards but I cant seem to find it. 

Motherboards don't impact performance. @LinusTech. What they do affect is features. Motherboards might have multi-GPU support for different vendors, better components for enhanced power delivery that you need when overclocking, more RAM slots, more SATA 3.0 ports, or USB 3.0 headers.

Since this upgrade is playing pretty close to OP's am2+/am3 boards, there's a good chance his case doesn't even have USB 3.0 headers, omitting the need for that. RAID isn't beneficial unless you're up to your shoulders in write-intensive tasks or have sensitive data and don't want to perform backups routinely, and it's always better to have a single, more powerful GPU than use multiple GPUs unless you're going for some next-level performance with 2 980 Tis for 4k gaming. OP just came off a GTX 650- on a wild guess, he's at 1080p.

4 minutes ago, Cyphax said:

No i don't really mind buying from different sites

Alright, then take a look at this. It's a little over budget, but I wouldn't advise downgrading from this as I already sort of skimped on the CPU.

I'm assuming you have 4 sticks of RAM, so I got something besides the MSI H81M-P33 so you could use your existing 16 GB of RAM. I can personally vouch for the motherboard- it's what I have, and it's great. Just make sure you get the Rev 1.0 version of the board- the other versions are okay, but lose out on a few features and use cheaper components.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€170.96 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (€64.71 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  (€336.83 @ Mindfactory) 
Total: €572.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-20 14:27 CET+0100

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

OP just came off a GTX 650- on a wild guess, he's at 1080p.

Yes i am gaming on 1080p and I am not really looking into 1440p or higher in the near future

5 minutes ago, Cyphax said:

Yes i am gaming on 1080p and I am not really looking into 1440p or higher in the near future

Then I suppose you can back down to an R9 380 or a 380x, although the 390 is far more future-proof with its gigantic VRAM pool, which also makes it better for modding; not to mention, it's VR-ready.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

The 390 I picked out for you will be great at 1440p. If you really want to fit into a  €460 budget, then you could go with a 380, but I can tell you straight-up that the 380 can't handle 1440p, and I'd recommend a 390 as the bare minimum unless you want to seriously lower your settings and stick around 30FPS at 1440p.

Well as i just said i am sticking to 1080p so the 380 would be sufficient 

Just now, Cyphax said:

Well as i just said i am sticking to 1080p so the 380 would be sufficient 

I know, I was being a dingus. Sorry. I already edited my post.

6 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I know, I was being a dingus. Sorry. I already edited my post.

Thank you for you time and help

5 minutes ago, Cyphax said:

Thank you for you time and help

Cheers.

If you can spare the cash, consider the 390 instead. The 380x will take on anything at 1080p now, but that doesn't mean it will hold out forever. As games use more and more VRAM even at 1080p, it's probably a good idea to have as much on hand as you can afford.