Planning on a new build

Pyrobot

Hey, i wanted to ask your opinion of my build. My build is for gaming purposes, such as playing fallout, gta V, csgo. My budget is around $1500 USD. Here are the list of my parts that i plan to buy :
Processor        = Intel Core i7-4790 3.6Ghz - Cache 8MB [Box] Socket LGA 1150
MotherBoard   = ASUS Maximus VII Hero
RAM                = Kingston Hyper X Predator DDR3 PC17000
Casing             = NZXT H440 Black and Red
Power Supply  = Corsair CX Series 500W - Bronze
Fan                  = Corsair AF140 LED BLUE/RED/WHITE - 14CM Fan                      x2
Harddisk          = Seagate 1TB SATA3 - ST100DM003
Monitor            = BenQ 24" EW2440ZH LED HDMI
VGA                 = Asus Geforce GTX 970 DirectCU II OC 4GB DDR5 STRIX GTX970

hello fellow bot 

it's a pretty good machine besides the PSU, try something from SeaSonic or EVGA, much better. 

idk

Get a i7 4790K and a decent aftermarket cooler. Otherwise, there's no point in getting such an expensive Z97 if you can't overclock.

Different PSU. A EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 would be the best choice, or a 500W XFX/SeaSonic PSU if you're on a budget.

SSD?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

So the budget is only for the tower and monitor? 

Nah, the monitor should be separated from the budget. I haven't checked the price, so yeah.

Get a better power supply, anything XFX or maybe even a Seasonic S||-12

For gaming purposes you are better off with a core i5 6600K and a better GPU like a 980 or R9 390X, since games are mainly GPU bound and you should generally spend more in your GPU.

Also not much point in getting a pricey motherboard, get a cheaper one and get a SSD with the money you saved.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Get a i7 4790K and a decent aftermarket cooler. Otherwise, there's no point in getting such an expensive Z97 if you can't overclock.

Different PSU. A EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 would be the best choice, or a 500W XFX/SeaSonic PSU of you're on a budget.

SSD?

Alrighty. I think im still going for the harddisk, because cheaper price?

Save yourself some money and use the stock fans as well, third party fans don't do a great deal of difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu7wI4Kn6sc

Pascal laptops guide

You are wasting your money on mother board. First the mother board has Z97 chipset but your CPU is not overclock able, second Maximus series cost more due to some extra feature for OC

3 minutes ago, Pyrobot said:

You can have both, use the SSD for windows and the hard drive for mass storage. The SSD will speed your boot and load times significantly. Cost won't be a issue if you save up by using the stock fans and getting a less fancy board which doesn't help much.

Pascal laptops guide

3 minutes ago, Pyrobot said:

Use the HDD as mass storage and the SSD to store your OS and primary games/applications.

Doesn't necessarily have to be 1TB, 250GB is usually what most get.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

6 minutes ago, amit523dutta said:

You are wasting your money on mother board. First the mother board has Z97 chipset but your CPU is not overclock able, second Maximus series cost more due to some extra feature for OC

5 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Cost won't be a issue if you save up by using the stock fans and getting a less fancy board which doesn't help much.

Well do you guys have any recommendation for the motherboard, ill try to use i7-4790k as hkzerofive said.
This is my first time build tho, i still lack of knowledge.jpg.7cb2f99a31a9e2bae2c6701214

5 minutes ago, FuriousGamer said:

I seen that you liked black and red. Badass build right here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JYq7cf

I'm afraid not all of those parts is avaliable in my country, but thats pretty cool anyway.

2 minutes ago, Pyrobot said:

I'm afraid not all of those parts is avaliable in my country, but thats pretty cool anyway.

Where do you live? You were using USD currency so I figured you live in the us. 

Reliable $550 Starter PC (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KGgpZL) *Just waiting for someone to need help with there ram so I can make a downloadmoreram.com joke*

Just now, FuriousGamer said:

Where do you live? You were using USD currency so I figured you live in the us. 

Indonesia, i converted the currency to USD

1 minute ago, Pyrobot said:

Indonesia, i converted the currency to USD

First of all how do skylake parts like the i7 6700K and the i5 6600K compare in price to the i7 4790K? 

Pascal laptops guide

21 minutes ago, Pyrobot said:

Yeah, for much much worse performance. Save up a little longer and get an SSD.

I'll never go back to a computer with HDD based storage again.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

First of all how do skylake parts like the i7 6700K and the i5 6600K compare in price to the i7 4790K? 

i7 6700k is only $8 more expensive than 4790k. And i5 6600k is about $80 cheaper than 4790k.

24 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Get a better power supply, anything XFX or maybe even a Seasonic S||-12

For gaming purposes you are better off with a core i5 6600K and a better GPU like a 980 or R9 390X, since games are mainly GPU bound and you should generally spend more in your GPU.

Also not much point in getting a pricey motherboard, get a cheaper one and get a SSD with the money you saved.

These days a lot of titles are managing to spread the workload out over more cores; The Division can spread them out over 12. So, it does improve performance.

That said, in this case you're right, since he's sacrificing graphics.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Pyrobot said:

i7 6700k is only $8 more expensive than 4790k. And i5 6600k is about $80 cheaper than 4790k.

I would try getting a i5 6600K with a 980 or a R9 390X if you can't afford the 980 and any decent Z170 board like a gigabyte gaming 3 or MSI Z170A G45 or Z170A gaming pro) and some DDR4 RAM (2*4GB will be enough for the time being).

Pascal laptops guide

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

These days a lot of titles are managing to spread the workload out over more cores; The Division can spread them out over 12. So, it does improve performance.

That said, in this case you're right, since he's sacrificing graphics.

Even still nowadays the i5 6600K even beats the i7 4790K in some games because single core performance still matter a lot:

Pascal laptops guide

19 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

I would try getting a i5 6600K with a 980 or a R9 390X if you can't afford the 980 and any decent Z170 board like a gigabyte gaming 3 or MSI Z170A G45 or Z170A gaming pro) and some DDR4 RAM (2*4GB will be enough for the time being).

So these are the ones i changed :
Intel Core i5-6600K
Asus Geforce GTX 980 DirectCU II OC 4GB DDR5 STRIX GTX980
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3
Gskill DDR4 RipjawsV PC19200 8GB (2*4GB)
Seasonic S12IIG-550 550W

I followed directly as what you suggested, because i have no experience at all.

2 minutes ago, Pyrobot said:

So these are the ones i changed :
Intel Core i5-6600K
Asus Geforce GTX 980 DirectCU II OC 4GB DDR5 STRIX GTX980
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3
Gskill DDR4 RipjawsV PC19200 8GB (2*4GB)
Seasonic S12IIG-550 550W

I followed directly as what you suggested, because i have no experience at all.

Seems fine, do you have any EVGA or MSI 980s? It's not a great deal of difference but you might as well go for it.

Pascal laptops guide

6 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Seems fine, do you have any EVGA or MSI 980s? It's not a great deal of difference but you might as well go for it.

There is this one, EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC+ GAMING ACX 2. but its like around $760 USD. And the msi, i prefer asus for the color and a bit cheaper than MSI Geforce GTX 980 4096MB DDR5

5 minutes ago, Pyrobot said:

There is this one, EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC+ GAMING ACX 2. but its like around $760 USD. And the msi, i prefer asus for the color and a bit cheaper than MSI Geforce GTX 980 4096MB DDR5

Which MSI card is it? The twin frozr G4?

Pascal laptops guide