Best 8 Port Switch Money Can Buy

Florb

Hey all,

I recently finished off a cheap 50$ switch and put an axe through its PCB (No Jokes). Every now and then it would slow down and cause transferring files to and from a NAS to run at 100kbps, even though it is a gigabit switch running Cat 6 to my computer. So, are there any suggestions to a good Cisco, Ubiquiti or etc. switch that anyone could recommend? 

Thanks in advance :)

Florb

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

21 minutes ago, Florb said:

Hey all,

I recently finished off a cheap 50$ switch and put an axe through its PCB (No Jokes). Every now and then it would slow down and cause transferring files to and from a NAS to run at 100kbps, even though it is a gigabit switch running Cat 6 to my computer. So, are there any suggestions to a good Cisco, Ubiquiti or etc. switch that anyone could recommend? 

Thanks in advance :)

Florb

When does the slow down occur? During a transfer of a large amount of files? Or during a transfer of a single, large file?

Just now, beavo451 said:

When does the slow down occur? During a transfer of a large amount of files? Or during a transfer of a single, large file?

During the transfer of files and playing Csgo at the same time (common haha), so yeah I do wish to mitigate this issue. The Ubiquities have had bandwidth issues along its ports, so I might avoid them.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

Just now, Florb said:

During the transfer of files and playing Csgo at the same time (common haha), so yeah I do wish to mitigate this issue. The Ubiquities have had bandwidth issues along its ports, so I might avoid them.

Well, it is normal for network transfer speed to dip when transferring files depending on the number and size of the files. If you are trying to transfer a bunch of small files, you aren't going to get full network speed (and its not the network's fault). Same thing happens when you try to transfer a lot of small files from one hard drive to another within your PC. 

In before it wasn't the switch's fault you were getting slow transfer speeds...

In 99% of cases where this happens the problem lies somewhere else.

If you want a good gigabit switch for home usage then get something like this: TP-Link TL-SG108

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

In before it wasn't the switch's fault you were getting slow transfer speeds...

In 99% of cases where this happens the problem lies somewhere else.

If you want a good gigabit switch for home usage then get something like this: TP-Link TL-SG108

You're late.

You should axe a tree or something not a working switch :P

I don't think it was the switch' problem but if you want a good switch buy an enterprise grade one like a HP or something.

I can recommend this one HP 1410-8G