Is the Oculus Rift DK1 Worth it for $225?

Emeryy

So I'm looking for a VR headset for dirt cheap. I was recently lucky enough to build a "VR ready" computer for $450. (according to steam's VR performance test). Anyways, as you may tell, I am an extreme cheapskate lol. I'm only 15 so I don't have that much money lying around to spend, but I REALLY want to try VR! Like, REALLY badly... I've been browsing ebay for used oculus rifts, but they're crazy expensive; at least to me. The DK1 can be as low as $225 so is it worth it? I don't have any more money than that to spend.

I'd be willing to take on a custom VR project though if anyone knows of any guides. you know, using my iphone to screen share and use a google cardboard-like headset or something. I don't know, I need advice.

You can get google cardboard and a nexus phone, Hook it up to PC and use it as a VR headset

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

If you can find a dk2 for that price, then I would say yes. But the dk1 isn't very good, at all. 

Do you have a PS4 because the Playstation VR might be a great choice. I think it's in your price range. 

Just now, l_zheng101 said:

Do you have a PS4 because the Playstation VR might be a great choice. I think it's in your price range. 

nope

Just now, Emeryy said:

nope

Ok never mind then, sorry I don't have any better suggestions. 

NO! not worth it! i´m working with DK1 and DK2 and both are not really great. The DK1 has a lot of problems compatibility issues and baaad resolution. Use google Cardboard for your homemade VR and try VR Headsets at fairs. 

Just now, Goodman2265 said:

You can get google cardboard and a nexus phone, Hook it up to PC and use it as a VR headset

i have google cardboard and an iphone. it's OK for $3, but it's blurry, low res, and unconfortable. plus i've tried using it with my pc but i have yet to find a lag free option with motion tracking

1 minute ago, Emeryy said:

i have google cardboard and an iphone. it's OK for $3, but it's blurry, low res, and unconfortable. plus i've tried using it with my pc but i have yet to find a lag free option with motion tracking

Nexus is the way to go since Google is on the VR movement, like damn even YouTube has VR on it.

Find a Nexus phone cheap, I know a guy who can help with this,

@Jacktastic-Mofo

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

1 minute ago, Emeryy said:

the occulus dk 1 would probably be worse than your iphone

Just now, Emeryy said:

VR will be an enthusiast thing at the beginning setting a high price to join. The first games will have a lot to learn from for all developers. Try to find opportunities to try out the different solutions and wait for the prices to drop a bit and VR becoming more open to the mass.

it would be nice if someone came out with a more refined version of a VR headset that is compatible with iphone 6s's. kinda like samsung's gearVR, but for iphone. I don't really like google cardboard because it isn't immersive. it's like looking through a pinhole at a 3d screen. and you can only see like the middle 1/8th of the screen

2 minutes ago, Emeryy said:

it would be nice if someone came out with a more refined version of a VR headset that is compatible with iphone 6s's. kinda like samsung's gearVR, but for iphone. I don't really like google cardboard because it isn't immersive. it's like looking through a pinhole at a 3d screen. and you can only see like the middle 1/8th of the screen

http://vrone.us/zeiss-vr-one-gx

http://vrone.us/smartphone-trays

you mean something like this

even if the DK1 is worse than carboard, at least i could play pc games on it... IDK

I would not buy it. Safe your Money and buy a good one later when more Games use it.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO